boat carpet protector

J

jamaf

Hi.

I am new on the forum. I just purchased myself a 19.5 ft bayliner. This is a salmon fishing boat for me but also a waterski/family boat. The boat is carpeted.:( I am conserned about the fish blood/slime getting into the carpet. Does anyone have any idea's about a protective covering. I don't really want to rip up the carpet.
Thanks

I'd worry about catching one first, after that the carpet won't seem important.

Thanks BRISCO [:p]This is not my first boat. But its not a piece of #*%@ like my old boat. I just want to keep it clean looking new.

A good washdown in the driveway is about all you can do - unless you want to take steps to keep the fish out of the boat (ie fish tank off the back.) That indoor / outdoor carpeting will take a good beating.

Cut a piece of i/o carpet to fit the area around the killing zone.
Roll it up when your not fishing. When it's shot you have a template for the next one.

i had the same problem with my new boat.
i went to island plastic and got 6* 3mm rubber mats and worked my way from the transom to the front layering them as i went.
everytime i get back from fishing i removed them and rinsed them the same time i rinsed the boat.
i think the were 8 bucks each??

you can get a roll of rubber checker plate flooring at costco to cover the bottom thats what I did and it look awsome. looks just like alluminum

quote:Originally posted by Paul Burak

you can get a roll of rubber checker plate flooring at costco to cover the bottom thats what I did and it look awsome. looks just like alluminum

Good to know, ive been using the rubber mats from costco which work great but the rubber comes off on your feet and i have black marks every where. Regarding carpet, there is a product in the pet store called "natures miracle" which has enzimes to eat up dog urine in carpet and it works very well on anything organic including fish blood. If the carpets get smelly, soak a soution of water and "natures miracle".

quote:Originally posted by Concerned Angler

Sorry-- but in the long run--- the carpet has to GO!!!! No way is it compatible with serious fishing. When I ordered my Alumaweld I specfied NO CARPET on the transom panels.... guess what I got??? Yep-- carpeted panels... now Alumaweld is sending me another set of transon panels with vinyl instead of carpet--- at thier cost.

understandable, this is the same situation that i am in, but to rip up all the carpets is a waste, there is allways a way around this,
the way i explained works just fine, ive been out at least 12 times and 10 of them have bonked fish and other times stood on our bait and when i got home took the mats closest to the transom out and rinsed them off.
i primarly fish but i take family/ friends to the lake to and its nice to have a carpet.

You guys have been very helpfull. I am heading off to Victoria tomorrow and I will stop at Costco. Hopefully they have some of that checker plate and I can check it out.

Hey I have a 2003 17.5 Bayliner we use it for Skiing at the lake. Some times we go drop the crab traps off Steveston and then head over to to the gulf Islands for the day. Ya its a toy Boat but serves the Family well - we've been to Bella Bella and out to Debby Island also Fishing off Prince Rupert. It's got carpet in it - so we have one of those big Costco Coolers on the swim grid and the crab, salmon and Chicken Halibut all go into it. We net the Salmon and try to put it straight into the cooler. Also it works great to store Beer in - not that we drink any out on the water :D [suc51041-1.jpg/img]

What I'am talking about isnt a mat it is roll that is 10X20 then I just laid it and ran it up the side of the boat and around the chairs just heat it up with the heat gun and bend it

I went to Costco and picked up the rubber checker plate. I got it all cut and it looks like it will work well.

Thanks again.

Back