Boat capsizes off Texada

hambone

This accident should serve as a solid reminder to everyone now that the boating season starts to kick into high gear.... Make safe decisions! Based on what I heard over the radio, a boat was travelling from Jedediah island to Coopers Green (Halfmoon Bay, Sunshine Coast) but capsized around 9pm somewhere off the south end of Texada. Unfortunately only one person made it to shore.

Global news article:

UPDATE: Search suspended for missing boater off Texada Island

Coast guard crews have spotted what they believe is a body after a boat carrying two people capsized in the Strait of Georgia Saturday night, according to the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre.

The 16-foot power vessel ran into trouble at around 9:30 p.m. while travelling to the mainland in bad weather.

A woman on board managed to escape the sinking vessel and spent six hours swimming to the shore of Texada Island.

Once on land, the severely hypothermic woman spent hours looking for help. She finally found a home and knocked on the door for help at around 2:20 p.m. Sunday, according to rescue crews.

The Coast guard hovercraft and air search crews canvassed the area looking for any sign of the boat and the man.

They spotted what is believed to be a body at around 7 p.m. and suspended the search.

The woman’s condition is currently unknown. She has been taken to hospital in Powell River.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1294525/w...da-island-after-boat-sinks-man-still-missing/

My condolences to the one that didn't make it.

Safety starts with you......

I used to brush off that saying. I have embraced it for many years now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard the call yesterday and was trying to figure out why if they went down the night before were they just calling the mayday now. That lady must be in excellent shape to swim that far in the dark and walking around for hours after that. Too bad for the other person. I don't know about there but here in CR it was howling and sideways rain on Saturday night.

I just heard she may have had a full body mustang suit on and I would assume the guy had a life jacket because he was found floating.

There was definitely a strong southeast wind that night.

Suit or not I suspect that are a lot of boaters who would not have a hope of surviving a six hour swim in our waters.

http://bc.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=50&contentId=34392

Fatal Boating IncidentPowell River
File # 2014-
Mon Apr 28 09:26:00 PDT 2014
On Saturday April 26th, 2014, a couple from Sechelt departed Half-Moon Bay on the Sunshine Coast in their small 16 foot boat, to spend the day fishing off Texada Island. The couple encountered rough seas and inclement weather, and sought protection in a secluded bay. Some time later, believing the seas were subsiding, the couple headed for home. Once again, they encountered rough seas and their boat began taking on water. The boat ultimately capsized, sending both into the water.

The female survivor was eventually able to reach the shore and seek help from a Texada Island residence. Police were alerted, and a significant land, air and water search commenced through the coordination of the Joint Rescue Coordination Center. The RCMP provided resources from the Texada Island RCMP Detachment, Powell River RCMP Detachment and the West Coast Marine Section as part of the search effort.

At around 7:00 pm on Sunday, April 27th, the man's body was located in the water by search crews.

As there is no indication of foul play, the BC Coroners Service is now leading this ongoing death investigation. The identity of the deceased will be released by the Coroner in the days to come. The identity of the survivor will not be released.

Cst. Tim KENNING
Community Policing Unit
604-485-6255

Email: bcrcmp@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

Very sad story indeed. A great loss for many I would imagine. Incredible story of survival and will the woman must have endured .

Rest in peace brother fisher ....... with our passions come great risk, things happen quickly and unexpectedly .

Sorry for their loss.

HT

She must have been a pretty tough lady......floating in a survival suit is one thing......swimming in one for 6 hours is another alltogether.

Ever tried swimming for any distance in a diver's dry-suit? Essentially the same as a survival suit.

Amazing resiliency this lady has. Sorry for her loss. It must have been terrifying out there that long in the dark cold sea. One can only imagine. I hope we get a chance to hear her story. We can probably all learn from it. You have to believe if she was in a full Mustang floater suit that it provided some life saving benefit to her by way of keeping her body temp at least a few degrees warmer. Yes, trying to swim in it would be next to impossible with your body temp affecting your mobility. Several stories I have read about hypothermia indicate that you begin to lose not just bodily mobility, but, that your mental ability to reason diminishes dramatically. You can have a complete mental break down within a few short hours. I really hope at some point she will be able to tell her story.

Tragic story and my condolences to the family. i still cant understand why a 16 fter was out. It was forecasted to blow a gale that evening and was 20-25+ knots all day. I was nearby that afternoon in a larger boat and it was brutal. Check and listen to your forecasts if you're in a smaller boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friday special at West Marine inflatable lifejackets $99 that's $69 bucks off regular price!

Yep.Bought 2 of them myself on last years sale.Very comfortable and for only $100 you can't beat em.

Back