Blunt nosed hull sea trial.

Aquaholic

Crew Member
An apparent sea trial gone wrong on one of those blunt nosed hulls similar to a large Axopar. I would imagine a conventional design hull entry with a large bow flare would have fared much better than this, as you can see the way it breaks the water early and sends it over the top of the boat. The way this huge boat stuffs the bow a few times once they turn around cannot be good for sales.

B5FC1B2F-F7B5-4F44-B24A-7512CA8E3F73.jpeg

to be fair this looks like Haulover which is like nahwitti bar and Muchalat inlet converging on each other almost the entire time. i hope the boat is self bailing and the ladies aren’t leaving their purses on the floor 😂

I see a few similar hull designs when fishing Atkinson and Bowen as they go by at a good clip, but in one foot chop. They look impressive but the test in my mind was always what is in the video. The driver wasn't doing any favours, as you saw the Apache do the same run with the bow high to avoid such soakings. The early entry design seems to lift the water up and over the deck versus to the side like a bow flare conventional entry.

Yup this design works well if you want to dive the nose of your boat into big waves. For rough water/heavy seas applications this design works better on much larger ships, not so much on smaller boats.

Last edited:
There is an Axopar down the dock from us. I was talking to a gentleman who is a friend of the owner and takes the boat out on his own.

I have seen it running at a fair clip of speed and it seems that the boast can never get trimmed so it looks like it is truly up on plane, They appear to be narrow of beam ,

The fellow I met told me for the first time in his life he fished with a lifejacket on , (OK then) but more importantly he told me he rigged lifelines on the Axopar when he was out fishing because he felt scared for the first time on a boat. The hull shape and low gunnels convinced him that he could be either washed or fall overboard.

Those boats strike me as being better suited for inland lakes or protected waters, but their optical appearance belies their actual size

the specs of the 28

1668399207368.png

The Axopar seems to at least have some rear swept entry angle to it. The one in the video almost has a square or forward swept angle, pushing the water up and over the deck. (that could be an illusion though)

I too have seen a few Axopar fly by in moderate chop, and the ride looks good in those conditions.

Such an unfortunate video to be out there showing the hull performance for the builder and dealer, albeit the driver can shoulder some blame.

Last edited:
Back