Blue Fish?

Bassblaster

Did a little shore fishing yesterday for bottom fish and came across something a bit weird.

Caught a Cabazon that looked normal other than its Mouth, Lips, and Tongue were brilliant blue. Almost the same colour of blue as the border on the site here. Looked like it had eaten a toilet bowl cleaner puck.

None of the other fish I caught exhibited anything like this even though they were all from within 100 feet of each other.

I saw something like this while fishing for Perch and Bass back in the Kootenays though not quite as bad so I don't think it has to do with location or salt/fresh water.

Anyone know what would cause this?

Headed back to the spot today and will take a camera just incase I come across another one.

Perfectly normal in cabezone and young lingcod. Colour disappears when cooked.

We caught our first one last weekend and it was a crazy *******! blue as can be, meat turned white when we cooked it and it was tasty.!I know that doesnt answer your question but yah. olol

That same coloration occurs both in cabazon and ling cod. Can range from blue through shades of blue-green to green. It is a reflection of what they have been eating over the last little while. Perfectly safe. In fact, I have found those with that color be be the best tablefare.

Cheers,
Nog

Back