Bill introduced to kill the long gun registry!

S

Slay Belle

Thought you all might be interested in this... Immediately following Question Period today, MP Gary Breitkreuz for Yorkton-Melville presented a Private Members Bill to get rid of the useless Gun Registry.

The Bill is known as Bill C-301. A Google search will bring up a bunch of information.
This bill seems to make a lot of sense, unlike some of the others tabled in the last few years. It actually received applause in the House of Commons today, and not just from firearms friendly Consevatives.
Anyone who can write a SENSIBLE letter to their MPs should do so - now. This is the best thing we've seen in reguards to firearms legislation since it all went to pieces in the '90s.

Silver Sun Charters
Prince Rupert B.C.
www.silversuncharters.com

Sorry- I had no idea there was SOOOO much stuff listed as b-c301...
This link will take you to the actual bill:
http://www.garrybreitkreuz.com/inthehouse/bills/2009_feb9.htm

Here is a link to a discussion about it on Canadiangunnutz;
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315556
I hate linking to another sight from a forum, but I will make an exception, as I feel this is an important issue. It's designed to put an end to waste of taxpayers dollars and maintain firearms safety. It's written by people who know firearms and the shortcomings of the present law, not by people who are afraid of firearms, like those who drafted the laws we have now.
If you have ever thought of joining one of the organizations who work for better firearms laws, there couldn't be a better time to do so. It only costs about $40 and one of the benefits is an insurance policy that would cost at least that to purchase individually.

CSSA - http://www.cdnshootingsports.org/
NFA - http://www.nfa.ca/content/view/18/60/

Below is a quote of an overview. I cropped out a bunch of stuff about the present registry, to leave a more clear view of what the new bill purposes.

BREITKREUZ BILL - BACKGROUNDER - Draft #1

By Garry Breikreuz, MP (Yorkton-Melville) - February 9, 2009

This Bill accomplishes a number of innovations to lower the excessive costs and unnecessary complexities of the Firearms Act without having any negative effect on public safety:

- Eliminates the useless Long-Gun Registry for Non Restricted Firearms;

- Asks the Auditor General to perform a Cost/Benefit Analysis every five years;

- Requires License Verification upon Transfer of Non-Restricted Firearms;

- Merges "Authorizations to Transport" for Licensed Individuals;

- Combines the Possession Only Licences and "Possession and Acquisition Licenses;

- Changes the License Renewal Period to 10 Years; and

- Changes the Grandfathering Dates for 12(6) handguns.

- Firearms owners will still require a License, background checks, continuous eligibility, references, and safety training;

- All licenced owner information is still available to police;

- Bill does not affect restricted and prohibited gun registries. They remain intact;

- Save taxpayers millions of dollars per year to be redirected to real police priorities.

Streamlining Authorizations to Transport (ATT):

- Bill makes no changes to lawful transport or storage requirements

- Bill re-establishes the existing reasons for transport in the Firearms Act; and

- Provides an increase to public safety by freeing up more funds and resources for law enforcement.
Combining the POLs and PALs:

- Currently: Three kinds of license: Possession and Acquisition License (PAL), the Possession Only License (POL) and the Minor's License. Amendment in bill merges POLs and PALs;

10 Year Licensing:

- The RCMP has developed the enormously successful Continuous Eligibility System;

- The Continuous Eligibility System cross-references the individual license holder's name with every police computer in Canada. In effect this amounts to an individual's license being renewed daily;

- High tech data management solution eliminates the costly paperwork system developed in 1995;

- This will save significant costs spent in an unnecessary renewals process; and

- The bill adds a two-year license suspension period to allow owners with expired licenses to renew without inadvertently becoming criminals. Holders may not acquire firearms or ammunition during this suspension period.

- No impact on public safety as police will still receive the same information in a timely manner.

Silver Sun Charters
Prince Rupert B.C.

Finally, some good news on the firearms front.

During the last election, I asked Stockwell Day when the government would be getting rid of the long-gun registration. He said "as soon as we have a majority government so we can get it through the house". Unfortunately, Stock is no longer the minister in charge of this file.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Best news on that front in a very loooooong time!:D
Thanks Slay Belle! Appreciate you posting this!

Now crossing the fingers that it will pass!

Cheers,
Nog

Okay so let's say I have a POL and was going to go in for the PAL. Should I wait? Would this change happen in a lifetime or would it come before hunting season.....
It's awesome news/rumour but has bad timing for me.....

Some of the guys working with the pro-firearms groups are saying that a final decision should come by June. The bill has to work its way through several readings and possible restructuring.

Silver Sun Charters
Prince Rupert B.C.

Just got this, from this morning !!!!!

Subject: Fw: BCWF ALERT #11/2008: BREITKREUZ BILL TO SCRAP THE USELESS LONG-GUN REGISTRY

Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 2:48 PM

Subject: BCWF ALERT #11/2008: BREITKREUZ BILL TO SCRAP THE USELESS LONG-GUN REGISTRY

BREITKREUZ BILL TO SCRAP THE USELESS LONG-GUN REGISTRY

Registry proves that law-abiding gun owners are not the problem
http://www.garrybreitkreuz.com/breitkreuzgpress/2009/feb9.htm

February 9th, 2009
Ottawa – Saskatchewan M.P. Garry Breitkreuz has introduced a Private Members’ Bill to scrap the decade-old Canadian long-gun registry (see link below to Bill C-301).
The long-gun registry was originally budgeted to cost Canadians $2 million, but the price tag spiraled out of control to an estimated $2 billion a decade later. Breitkreuz says it’s time to pull the plug on this useless money pit, because the registry has not saved one single life since it was introduced.
“The registry is a political pacifier created to give the impression that Canada would be safer for it,” explains Breitkreuz. “Nothing could be further from the truth. I believe Canadians would rather see their tax dollars keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and gangs, instead of trying to control law-abiding citizens.”
If Breitkreuz’s bill receives support from a majority of M.P.s, it will also invite the Auditor General to conduct a public safety test on all gun control measures every five years. The Auditor General’s reports will reassure Canadians that all gun control laws are cost-effective at improving public safety, reducing violent crime and keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals.
“We need hard evidence to guide us in forming cost-effective crime control measures,” says Breitkreuz. “This is a non-partisan issue and I hope it will be supported by all federal parties. Certainly there are M.P.s in all parties who believe hunters, farmers and sport shooters have been forced to comply with an onerous registration process that made no sense. It’s high time to switch our focus to the bad guys.”
Breitkreuz’s bill also introduces legislative steps to streamline the Firearms Act. The changes will improve efficiency and enhance Canada’s public safety objectives, while still providing our police with all the information they need for effective law enforcement.

“My bill would finally make public safety the priority of our country’s gun control laws,” explained Breitkreuz. “Many Canadians have come to realize that the long-gun registry wasn’t working because it targets the wrong people. It’s a waste of time and money to lay a piece of paper beside every gun in the country. And the last I checked, criminals were not hampered in the least by the registry. Those are the people we need to go after if we really want to control crime.”

BCWF ALERT
John B. Holdstock
BC Wildlife Federation
Kelowna, B.C.

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Back