Bilge pump randomly going off

MikePA

I noticed today after going fishing that my bilge pump has started to go off for about 1 to 2 seconds every 2-3 mins. The pump is controlled from a switch at the helm which is in the off position, the battery switch is also turned off. Any clue as to what is going on here? I have never used the pump other than when I bought the boat to test if it was working. This started out of no where.

I have one that is does that by design. It's not going off in the driveway, but once the plug is in and the water gets high enough it cycles.

I have one that is does that by design. It's not going off in the driveway, but once the plug is in and the water gets high enough it cycles.
Ok. Ya there is no water in my bilge and never had been.. must be something going faulty

Sounds like an issue with the float switch. The pun performed should be directly wired through the float switch so that even if your battery switch is off, the pump will still run if the float switch is triggered.
What bigbruce said if yours has auto float switch
I had this with bilge pump in the cuddy, went to leave for work 1 morning and heard the sound of a pump running, it was a faulty auto float switch attached to pump

See picture, mine are Johnson Pumps.
the Black box attached to pump, easy to change outScreenshot_20210522-203019_Chrome.jpg

Some pumps cycle every couple of minutes to check for water. The Rule Lo Pro for example has a setting that turns it on, when sensing the water level, or to cycle,checking every 2.5 minutes (slide on the Pump housing) . What kind of pump do you have?

Some pumps cycle every couple of minutes to check for water. The Rule Lo Pro for example has a setting that turns it on, when sensing the water level, or to cycle,checking every 2.5 minutes (slide on the Pump housing) . What kind of pump do you have?
I have a rule mate. I think everyone was right.. has some debris on the sensor. Thanks again everyone

Back