Biggest trout ever

quote:Originally posted by highlights

In the late eighties we could go and cast or troll flies along the highway side and hook 20-24" fish all day long. No problem hooking into 30 or 40 in a day. Didn't have to wait more than a few mnutes between fish. It was amazing fishing!

Times have changed and you have to put in the hours like so many other fisheries.:(
I remember those days well. :) I was just newly married and would get in all heaps of trouble cause the 'BOYS' would be bonding at Elk every couple of days in a row and my 'NEW' wife thought we were going to the bar until I brought a few 'bows home for proof.

I never brought any home from other times because she didn't like eating trout at all. But bring a salmon home??? [:p]

i find it amazing that you can catch quality trout so close to a capital city and be virtually alone while fishing plus be able to eat the fish you catch.

I recall catching a lot of decent trout in the late 80's on the highway side. Some big number days for sure where there were more than 20 caught. The big one I caught was different though. My fish pan is 22 inches across the bottom, the fish I bonked was curled up both sides of the pan by 3 inches. I never rally measured it other than I weight it and it was almost 5 pounds without the guts. Head on. A big trout for sure and one of a lifetime from that lake.

quote:Originally posted by kildonan

I recall catching a lot of decent trout in the late 80's on the highway side. Some big number days for sure where there were more than 20 caught. The big one I caught was different though. My fish pan is 22 inches across the bottom, the fish I bonked was curled up both sides of the pan by 3 inches. I never rally measured it other than I weight it and it was almost 5 pounds without the guts. Head on. A big trout for sure and one of a lifetime from that lake.
That sounds like a BIG fish...were you in a boat or off shore?

quote:Originally posted by bee15

late 80s are long gone but still good fish in those lakes. hope fully i wont ever hook 30 or 40 trout like that in one day no reason to keep fishing "then.' its too bad their was so many fish in those days.thank fully its not like that now. i dont remember everseeing any one at the launch ramp with more than their limit, so you must have used a tube. from the beach.

I rarley ever fished with barbed hooks. All fish were taken from a cast fly from my float tube. Back in the day there were virtually no other tubers out. I would occasionally take a couple fish. Each and everytime led me closer to the realization that those fish taste HORID. leave them to grow bigger is my motto. 40 fish a day is a blast. All released to fight another day. No I was never at the ramp with more than my limit.

PS, haven't kept a fish from local lakes in over 12 years. Released hundreds. Catching does not necessarily mean keeping.

You say fish tasted horrid. Cooked how??

I smoke them,and nothing over 14 inches.Guys at work drool when I open my lunch box. [^]

Yeah Yeah Yeah, I 've said the same thing to people destroying the fish by not knowing how to cook it. I can assure you I am very rounded in my ability to prepare and serve seafood. I use dozens of fine recipes and teqniques in eliciting the texture and flavours of particular cuts of fish and game.

However I cannot seem to get past the "muddy" flavour predominantly present in fish that inhabit shallow soft bottomed lakes.

Cowichan or any other stream fed, deep, cold water lake and the trout taste searun. Very neutral in flavour and wonderfully mild once prepared.

......but these local lakes...... hmmm, you must have some recipe. Then again it is all what you like. Go ahead, if you like them thats great:)

Smaller spring time fish will have the best chance of tasting the way they should taste. You have obviously honed that trick as you state only 14"ers.[:p]

quote:Originally posted by highlights

Yeah Yeah Yeah, I 've said the same thing to people destroying the fish by not knowing how to cook it. I can assure you I am very rounded in my ability to prepare and serve seafood. I use dozens of fine recipes and teqniques in eliciting the texture and flavours of particular cuts of fish and game.

However I cannot seem to get past the "muddy" flavour predominantly present in fish that inhabit shallow soft bottomed lakes.

Cowichan or any other stream fed, deep, cold water lake and the trout taste searun. Very neutral in flavour and wonderfully mild once prepared.

......but these local lakes...... hmmm, you must have some recipe. Then again it is all what you like. Go ahead, if you like them thats great:)

Smaller spring time fish will have the best chance of tasting the way they should taste. You have obviously honed that trick as you state only 14"ers.[:p]
Hey my fishing brother,
Why are you knocking my ways? I'm not knocking yours by asking how you cook it. If you don't like eating the fish out of Elk,no matter how it's cooked,so be it.
I've never fished Cowichan so I can't comment on the fish from it,but I'll bet being a larger,deeper lake the fish are amazing compared to Elk.
I don't have any 'amazing' way of smoking it,just do it the same as I would a salmon,only shorter periods of brining and actual smoking.
I also haven't any 'trick'.
To conclude...I smoke fish at 14" because that is the best size that fits on my racks of my small Little Chief Smoker.

MrTrailer, I assure you I was not using sarcasm there. I appologize if it came across that way. Simply put, if you like it, great. That is all that matters. I have not had the same luck as you in encountering a fish from local lakes that I like the flavour of . Thats all. Nothing more. I first thought that maybe you were condesending me when you stated "cooked How????"

No big deal bro, just a mistunderstanding of context. The keyboard thing really buggers up intentions at times.

HL:)

quote:Originally posted by Mrtrailer

quote:Originally posted by kildonan

That sounds like a BIG fish...were you in a boat or off shore?

Taken from a boat. And as I recall, I smoked it, tasted fine. But like I always say, you can smoke the heal of your boot and make it taste good. LOL

But that being said, I am no stranger to eating the trout from local lakes. A few I've had weren't outstanding by any stretch of the imagination however I have eaten many that taste fine.

ya know what boys... the more I'm on this forum the more it seems like everyone is just waiting for the opportunity to **** on someone.
The Saltwater forum has a HUGE contributor,guide who from what I see, sits back and can't wait to throw his big butt power around ,which is usually so funny and wrong he really should get a desk job!!:(

Not sure if you are talking about me , I thought I did a pretty good job in trying to pave that one over. Hey we are all just here to have a good time a share info about what we love to do most.

I don't beleive anything on these threads is malicious. It's just that some people have differant opinions than others.

Mtrailer, tell me more about your fish. Lets get this thread back on track.

When are you heading out next? Water should be cooling down enough for those rainbows to be coming to the surface.

Any pics of those fish?

Would love to see them.

Thanks,

HL

PS didn't mean to, but appologize if I somehow derailed your thread.

I was not referring to you at all. I went off on a bit of a an angry roll and I apologize. Seen a few "hot shot" Major contributors spanking relatively new members
posts and threads like they are king s### or something,and I'm getting really sick of it!![V]

Anyways..... Of course I don't have any pictures of the trout.[:I]
Left camera at home in my salmon box with the tape measure and scale. :( I measured the trout against my rod to at least get the length.

Went out yesterday,only one strike around 8am. Really foggy there. It was very cool!!

p.s. sorry you thought I was referring to you. Acually I enjoy hearing what you have to say. You give some good imput as well as tips. :)

Oh ya...when am I going out next? Probably Sunday and Monday mornings and I'll be taking my CAMERA.lol

Hey no worries,

I have seen some of the other threads and can understand where it came from.

Amazing hey. We have such a small membership at sportfishing bc and yet we all seem to have a tricky time staying civil at times.

I belong to a flying forum of around 200 thousand members. It is heavily moderated but the moto there is "giant stlye" which ephasizes getting new members to feel at home in their quest for information and the sharing of a common interest. Seems to work. I know I could travel throughout North and south America and have some good friends. There are even airshows in the states that come up throughout the year and many of us make the point of meeting each other. Of course it is only human nature and their still seems to be the occassional rift. Oh well such is life . I would however think twice about meeting up with a few of the characters on this forum LOL.

Good luck if you go out This week. Let us know how you do.
My boat I think is going to dry dock for the winter and the buddies jet will now come out. Hope a few fish made it to the river!

HL

I'm going to hijack my own thread for a quick ?
Does netting a bass damage its' scales or remove any important film on them?

Thanks Kelly,
I asked because I've never fished for bass let alone caught one.I wanted to find out if they were any different. Kind of a dumb question I guess.

il be at elk on sunday too mr trailer. fishing the handi capper wharf. not too good there lately though,only one small one caught there sat.

Mrtrailer, when bringing a bass to the side of the boat raise it's head and with your pointer and thumb , grab it's lower lip tightly. It has no teeth but instead has a rough sandpaper like lip.
This really subdues the fish. Unhook and release. Very simple. No slime ,teeth etc. Very civilized LOL

Back