Biggest Spring

My biggest ocean was a team catch with my son who was 11 at the time, off of Uclulet, 29 lb. Jigging.
River about 40lb in Vedder. Wool fly!

My biggest ocean was a team catch with my son who was 11 at the time, off of Uclulet, 29 lb. Jigging.
River about 40lb in Vedder. Wool fly!

I have been fishing in the NW for the past 20 years and have netted over 100 tyee in that time but did not catch my own until 3 years ago it wieght 35. My bride on her fishing trip to Port Alberni 10 years ago on the first morning caught a 42.5 lb. To make things even worst my daughter was only 8 when she caught her first tyee on the same trip. I think I was 40 when I caught my first one. We had enough trouble netting the 42lber how does one net a 90# fish?

I have been fishing in the NW for the past 20 years and have netted over 100 tyee in that time but did not catch my own until 3 years ago it wieght 35. My bride on her fishing trip to Port Alberni 10 years ago on the first morning caught a 42.5 lb. To make things even worst my daughter was only 8 when she caught her first tyee on the same trip. I think I was 40 when I caught my first one. We had enough trouble netting the 42lber how does one net a 90# fish?

50lbs...Vedder River! A run of huge fish came that day...almost everyone had fish over 40lbs. I saw one dead on a gravel bar that was much bigger.
As for netting big fish ... not a spring, but last July I netted a 90lb. Halibut caught on a salmon rod. I didn't have the harpoon in hand as I thought it was going to be a giant spring.
Now for the ledgend of catching a fish with the broken off leaders... Last summer a client on my boat caught a medium sized Hali and it broke the leader. About 20 minutes later the same fish was hooked and it still had 10 inches of (my) leader hanging from it's mouth when I bonked it.

Todd Rickard,
Charter Fishing Prince Rupert
www.silversuncharters.com

50lbs...Vedder River! A run of huge fish came that day...almost everyone had fish over 40lbs. I saw one dead on a gravel bar that was much bigger.
As for netting big fish ... not a spring, but last July I netted a 90lb. Halibut caught on a salmon rod. I didn't have the harpoon in hand as I thought it was going to be a giant spring.
Now for the ledgend of catching a fish with the broken off leaders... Last summer a client on my boat caught a medium sized Hali and it broke the leader. About 20 minutes later the same fish was hooked and it still had 10 inches of (my) leader hanging from it's mouth when I bonked it.

Todd Rickard,
Charter Fishing Prince Rupert
www.silversuncharters.com

I guess it must be legal to gaff salmon in bc I think they would take me to jail down here.:D You must have a really deep and strong net to do a 90#. What did the net look like after you netted a 90# Hali? I love this site.

I guess it must be legal to gaff salmon in bc I think they would take me to jail down here.:D You must have a really deep and strong net to do a 90#. What did the net look like after you netted a 90# Hali? I love this site.

Back