Biggest Spring

scott craven

It's getting kind of dull here, so lets talk fishing !
What was your biggest Spring ever, and where was it caught,
using what kind of bait etc,etc.
I have yet to crack the "40lb mark",[V] in fact my biggest was a mere
35lbs trolling off Aldridge point with a medium anchovie in a
red/chrome teaser head.

42lb white off Camp Byng (Sunshine Coast). Glo-Green hootchie and a dodger.

45lbs Rivers Inlet we weighed it with one of those hand held scales when it wasnt quite dead it kick and broke the scale so were thinking this thing is over 50lbs but it turned out it was 45 they look hugh when they get that big

July 2003! 40lb! BIG cut-plug herring, no flasher, 33 ft in the kelp close to Chaney Pt. on the eastern shores of Milbanke Sound.

Best fishing I've ever experienced! We stayed at Big Time Fishing Lodge, and the first pass out with the guide I asked him how long he'd been guiding and what was his best year and so on... He said "I've been guiding 7 years and YESTERDAY was my best day!" He wasn't fibbing! It got better!

We had a hard time getting past the 10-15lb Coho's in the surface to get to the BIG Springs cruising below. I came home with 4 Coho all over 10lb (biggest 16lb), and 4 Springs, all over 25lb (biggest 40lb) That whole summer (2003) was something special. I limited out at Nootka in August that year, and even had quite a few awesome days outside Bowen, Gabriola and at the Cap.

Oppi

44 lbs off of Wash Rock just down from Maquinna Point , Nootka Sound.
Red Hot Spot flasher , green glow anchovy head with 77 in leader trolled across the tide line at 2.8 mph on the GPS , depth was at 31 ft
Took 11 runs before we got it to the boat , drank a few beers after that experience !
What a day , got the fish just after 0930 hrs and the mist had just burnt off and the sun was out and it was warm already , picture perfect !

AL

Biggest Spring:
Personal best 66lbs, caught in Rivers Inlet in 1994, I was young and stupid, and tried to revive it, but had to bonk it. Caught in the morning before my shift.

Biggest Spring guided:
67 lbs caught during a 2 trip stint in Rivers Inlet.

Biggest Spring on the line, at Langara Island:
I don't want to know how big but most likely a 70 or 80+, on at least 2 occasions. Played by guest for about an hour, not sure how big as we never did get a great look at it, but it wasn't foul hooked, and the angler had the gear maxed out, and due to fatigue, he made a momentary lack of concentration and broke the leader off. 24 hours later an 82lber was bonked down the coast, with a length of leader hanging from it's mouth snelled to 2 Black Gamakatsus *I use the same ties*.

Biggest Spring seen with my eyes:

2 spawned out carcasses of one in the mid 90's and another about 110lbs in the Whonnock River. In the company of DFO officer and a lodge owner, and a Pilot. I have and probably will never ever see fish that big.

To be honest with out fishermans tale measurements, 45# Spring off Church Rock in Sooke is my largest so far. Caught on the Purple/purple with whole 6 " herring in June 2001. A 43, offshore Uci on a 602 is my runner up. Have caught numerous in the high 30s but nothing landed in the fifties,YET.

Nothin like Yo Mama's big numbers!

54 lb off of Port Renfrew in October a few years back. I was in the coho derby at the time. Have photo with scale in behind showing weight. I believe that was a local fish. Got over 50 jars of canned salmon.

Next one that size that close to its spawning ground is going to be released.

44 lbs White King caught late Septemeber in Puget Sound on a small cut plug, 3 oz of lead trolling very fast for Coho. What a nice surprise!!

47 pound 80 ounces tyee caught by my father on a hootchie at Lone Tree, Alberni Inlet in late morning several years ago.

My personal biggest is 49.5 lbs nope not a 50 it has to be a true 50 to call it one and I tried getting every once out of it LOL got lots in the forties hit 46 and above now about 8 times.

Now as for guiding lodge record for the upper inlet 53.5 lbs feeder. purple teaser head off of kawlate pt. and a few 49 lbers but that is my only 50.

I know for a fact I have had one beside the boat that was over 60 as we had a week way in august up off of swanson about 8 yeasr ago that a guest fought for almost an hour with flasher and chovie and it suck holeed the whole time, my boss came over after watching us for almost 40 mins and it finally appeared the tail was about 8 inches above the water without seeing the base and the distance from the tail to the line was far away, finally up to the boat couldnt believe what I was seeing It was a monster with one litte hook in it about 10 ft from me the hook let go and the ******* swam beside the boat %&%* the guest laughed and said I hope it lives to breed.

That week 60 and 70 lbers came in from that area one of our guides got one close to 60 as we were all admiring it the boss says to me your was bigger damn just what I didnt want to hear. thats the only true hog I know I didnt get!!!!and dont think we ever will with the sizes going down each year.

Wolf

I have a picture of mine Wet B but do not have a scanner.
If you wish to verify it I you can email through this site and I will give you the address.

AL

quote:Originally posted by alley cat

I have a picture of mine Wet B but do not have a scanner.
If you wish to verify it I you can email through this site and I will give you the address.

AL
Sorry ment Salty B.

AL

My personal best is a 57lbs and guided is a 64 and 68 lbs springs in the Charlottes, all of them on mooching weights and cut plug herring.

Also...

I hate to break it to ya Fishin Magician but that 82lber "hooks in the mouth" is a long standing rumour everyone love to belive. I personally saw the fish after it was landed. No hooks in the mouth. I've heard that one a few time now...

56 Biggest for me, cut plug herring, 14 pulls, 50 feet of water. north Coast Charlottes. Taped out during a derby by an official weigh boat and released. North Coast Charlottes.

Several others in the low 50's.

One of Yo Mama's 60's was hooked up not more than a couple of rod lengths away from me so I can vouch for it.

Fishin' Magician, sounds like a fish story to me.

TT

In August 2002 got a 43 halfway between Beechy and the Trap(Sooke)fishing solo.Iwas checking my line,popped it off the downrigger and it slammed it just before it got to the surface.
The day before that I got my THEN biggest 32(Aldridge),and the day after we caught a long-arm Scotty Downrigger off the trapshack reef!!
That was a gooood 3 days.

Back