Big Tofino news

I think a lot of folks will be joining you in the stoked department. This is awesome news!

Surprised Morrison's not also involved. Great news to have young BC guys with a passion for the sport/industry to invest in it!

Cheers!

Ukee

Surprised Morrison's not also involved. Great news to have young BC guys with a passion for the sport/industry to invest in it!

Cheers!

Ukee
Very good news and I hope it works out well for them.

Hamhuis's 6-year contract is worth more than Mo's career earnings. Not right...just sayin'

I believe lots of Mitchell's earning have been off the official books due to injury.

Mo's not cashing cheques still, the other two still are. Likely risk averse and savvy.

Awesome Shawn! Heard about it when I was there last month, sounds like some great plans!

I first started staying at the Weigh West in the late 80s . Continued to stay there through out the 90s.
They really catered towards the fishermen back then. Free shaved ice for your coolers. They let us store our frozen herring in their freezer. We strictly mooched back then and between our two boats we always took up 7 or 8 cases of herring so it took up a lot of room in their freezer.
We got to know all the guides that worked there...can't remember most of their names anymore...but they where all great guys.
Things started to change towards the late 90s. A lot of the quides quit.
We always ate and drank in the bar which back then had great food
When they moved the bar over to the restaurant side to put a gym in there is when things started going down hill.
I have not been back since 2000.

Bill

Great news indeed! We enjoyed a couple trips to Weigh West a few years ago when we did a combo of offshore and the fly fishing component. It seemed the fishing aspect became a less important part of the operation over the years. Hopefully, this change will make fishing more prominent again as it is a great location and central to all the other great amenities Tofino has to offer. Here is a couple pics from one of those trips where we took a lunch break in a peaceful spot in the sound. Good times with family and friends!

100_0848.JPG

100_0847.JPG

That is good news. I am looking for a new spot in Ukie/Tofino since I have become more and more disappointed with the "West" in Ukie lately. I have stayed there for the past 6 years and now they charge $21.00 for every day you use the ramp. So when I stay for the weekend plus a day, I now get dinged for $21.00 to put my boat in at their launch and another $21.00 to retrieve it.

Maybe its time to go back to Tofino/

As a former weigh west guide and hockey fan I gotta say that is pretty cool!

Not to Hijack but, Finaddict, you do know there is an excellent and free boat launch at the end of Seaplane Base road in Ukee, just a 1-minute cruise from the marina?

Cheers!

Ukee

Not to Hijack but, Finaddict, you do know there is an excellent and free boat launch at the end of Seaplane Base road in Ukee, just a 1-minute cruise from the marina?

Cheers!

Ukee
Thanks Ukee, I have know about it and I will certainly be using it on my next trip. The bitter taste with the boat ramp fees leaves me feeling like the loyalty I have given to the place is in no way reciprocated. Also My apologies for thread hi-jack. Now back to the great news about Weigh West and Hockey investments!

Great news indeed! We enjoyed a couple trips to Weigh West a few years ago when we did a combo of offshore and the fly fishing component. It seemed the fishing aspect became a less important part of the operation over the years. Hopefully, this change will make fishing more prominent again as it is a great location and central to all the other great amenities Tofino has to offer. Here is a couple pics from one of those trips where we took a lunch break in a peaceful spot in the sound. Good times with family and friends!

View attachment 28867

View attachment 28868
Bunch of slackers!

Get back to fishing!

Ya I worked there when Dick Close owned it.....he came by that name honestly. I trailered a shitload of those fly skiffs in SFBC's pic from the riviera to tofino.

I think you were there at the same time

Good news for sure! As others have mentioned it is nice to see some local BC fishermen / conservationists own it rather than some foreign bank account with zero interest in fishing / tourism. A lot of lodges have been bought up my foreign money (AB included) so some BC ownership is welcomed and I trust these guys will show us why it's important to keep these operations locally owned. Good news story for sure and the name recognition aint gonna hurt them either.

I've been out to the past 3 Tofino classic derbies in addition to other trip to Tofino and while the fishing trips have been good the marina and lodging itself could certainly use a facelift so hopefully they have some improvements in mind. Given the track record of the non-NHL owner in the group I think we can expect to see some big changes for the better. Looking forward to next year's trip(s) to Marina West already!

I believe their partner Andrew Purdy is the guy that built the Port Renfrew marina, the Mill Bay marina and development, and owns the Port of Sidney. He is also a BC boy from Prince George.

Ya I worked there when Dick Close owned it.....he came by that name honestly. I trailered a shitload of those fly skiffs in SFBC's pic from the riviera to tofino.

I think you were there at the same time
I know i was messing with you. I'm still here for some reason ;)

Back