Big Qualicum River

Just wanted to confirm with someone who actively fishes the Big Q about where I can legally fish. I want to take my young grandsons up to do some catch and release on the chums or even some coho. Not looking to retain fresh ones so no interest in being in the crowd right above the hatchery.

I read the regulations as saying it is open on the main river after October 15 to fishing with traditional gear (planning on using wool and spin casting gear). Am I reading this correctly that it is open and I can take them fishing there now?

thanks.

Just wanted to confirm with someone who actively fishes the Big Q about where I can legally fish. I want to take my young grandsons up to do some catch and release on the chums or even some coho. Not looking to retain fresh ones so no interest in being in the crowd right above the hatchery.

I read the regulations as saying it is open on the main river after October 15 to fishing with traditional gear (planning on using wool and spin casting gear). Am I reading this correctly that it is open and I can take them fishing there now?

thanks.
You can fish below the hatchery now - catch and release only , signs are posted - , the pools right above the hatchery are tough to catch any , most are pretty spooked in there from all the flossing , if you go further up there are some nice runs with fish

You can fish below the hatchery now - catch and release only , signs are posted - , the pools right above the hatchery are tough to catch any , most are pretty spooked in there from all the flossing , if you go further up there are some nice runs with fish
I was hoping to fish on the main river above the split where the chum channel starts. My grandsons are 8 and 10 so are just starting to be able to cast without loosing all their gear. I was going to let them floss the chums and release the fish. I saw a few people fishing in this area last week when I walked the river. Catching isn’t main goal, practicing is.

Back