Big and Little Q terminal fishery

Kildonan

Any area 14 SFAC folks here? Does anybody know if there’s a plan to drop the 80cm rule in front of the Big and Little Q prior to Sept 1?
These are NOT Fraser stocks of concern, would be nice if we can bonk a good one there in front of the rivers.

Any area 14 SFAC folks here? Does anybody know if there’s a plan to drop the 80cm rule in front of the Big and Little Q prior to Sept 1?
These are NOT Fraser stocks of concern, would be nice if we can bonk a good one there in front of the rivers.

It could happen but honestly haven't heard anything. The fact that department hadn't said anything by now makes me believe it will be Sept.1st.

I email Jeff Grout all the time with nary a response, good luck with that jerk off

Fishery Notice
Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:
FN0800-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Chinook - Portions of Area 14 - Management Measures - Effective August 7, 2020

To address conservation concerns for at-risk Fraser River Chinook stocks, DFO is continuing precautionary reductions in commercial, recreational, and First Nation's fisheries to support conservation and promote recovery of these stocks.

This Fishery Notice details pilot Chinook recreational fishery management measures outside the migratory path of at-risk Fraser River Chinook stocks for the 2020 fishing season in portions of Area 14. These opportunities are contingent on regular data collection (DNA, CWT, and catch reporting) and will be evaluated post-season.

Additional opportunities will continue to be considered around hatchery systems as in-season abundance is assessed.

Effective immediately until 23:59 hours August 31, 2020, the daily limit of Chinook Salmon is two (2) per day, with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook in the following waters:

Subareas 14-7, 14-8, 14-9, 14-10, 14-15, and

Those portions of 14-4 and 14-5 southeast of a line from Flora Islet Light (49°31.0552N, 124°34.5732W) to French Creek Breakwater Light (49°21.0972N, 124°21.2782W).

Reminder: Subarea 14-11 remains non-retention until 23:59 hours August 15.

Effective 00:01 hours August 16 until 23:59 hours August 31, 2020, the daily limit of Chinook Salmon is two (2) per day, with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook in Subarea 14-11.

Reminder: The minimum size limit for Chinook in Area 14 is 62 cm.

Variation Order: 2020-RFQ-0407

Fishers are also reminded there may be local finfish closures and RCA's not listed in this notice that remain in effect and to check the area regulations for areas being fished.

Coast-wide Recreational Fisheries:

For the recreational fishery, the annual aggregate limit for Chinook salmon is ten (10) coast-wide in all tidal waters.

Variation Order: 2020-RFQ-190

Notes:

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal waters of British Columbia.

The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the Salmon Sport Head Recovery program by labeling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped Chinook and Coho Salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program toll free at 1-866-483-9994 for further information.

Rockfish Conservation Areas (RCAs) are currently in effect and are closed to all fin-fishing. Descriptions of RCAs, other closures such as finfish closed areas and salmon non-retention areas, and other recreational fishing information, can be found on the Internet at:

www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at 1-800-465-4336 or by email at DFO.ORR-ONS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
1-866-431-FISH (3474).

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Erika Watkins, ECVI Recreational Fisheries Manager, Erika.Watkins@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0800
Sent August 7, 2020 at 1435

Thanks for posting the latest notice. Pretty ridiculous rule. There are not many 80cm or less in that fishery. Been fishing it for years. These are for sure NOT Fraser fish swimming around in front of those rivers.

Thanks for posting the latest notice. Pretty ridiculous rule. There are not many 80cm or less in that fishery. Been fishing it for years. These are for sure NOT Fraser fish swimming around in front of those rivers.
Well I guess they feel they have a good enough excuse to neuter us.

Well I guess they feel they have a good enough excuse to neuter us.

I found out the other day that what DFO pacific submitted to Ottawa is nothing like what we ended up getting. Ottawa took it, changed it and absolutely screwed the recreational fishery.

from what I hear guys like Jeff grout were absolutely shocked at what Ottawa did.

I found out the other day that what DFO pacific submitted to Ottawa is nothing like what we ended up getting. Ottawa took it, changed it and absolutely screwed the recreational fishery.

from what I hear guys like Jeff grout were absolutely shocked at what Ottawa did.

This is the Fisheries Ministers tweet the day the new regs were announced:

00935014-F713-46DA-9523-71433EE32366.jpeg

That last sentence says it all. Translates to: I don’t care what the science says, what DFO says, what common sense says, what public consultation says, what Tom, Dick and Sarah say, we said we’re gonna close it so we’re closing it.

With an attitude like that I can see why. Jeff is one of the few who care about fish, and is a great guy.

Like most on here my emails to DFO state facts and are polite, but when you take the time to write these over time and multiple times with nary a reply one gets a little testy. Perhaps you can nudge him in the right direction and prove to us he’s a,” good guy”, towards the public fishery and make regulations that make sense.

This is the Fisheries Ministers tweet the day the new regs were announced:

View attachment 55598

That last sentence says it all. Translates to: I don’t care what the science says, what DFO says, what common sense says, what public consultation says, what Tom, Dick and Sarah say, we said we’re gonna close it so we’re closing it.

the liberals did a poll and overwhelmingly the general public supports fishery restrictions as a method of conservation.

when you look at comments of CBC fishing articles it’s always the same. Over fishing caused the cod stocks to collapse so overfishing is always the problem everywhere.

the liberals did a poll and overwhelmingly the general public supports fishery restrictions as a method of conservation.

when you look at comments of CBC fishing articles it’s always the same. Over fishing caused the cod stocks to collapse so overfishing is always the problem everywhere.

Yes, I believe this is how they manage matters, by social media polls and comments. Let’s ask a group of uneducated public their opinion and make policy based on that.

Yes, I believe this is how they manage matters, by social media polls and comments. Let’s ask a group of uneducated public their opinion and make policy based on that.

yes that’s how it’s done are you going to participate?

upload_2020-8-8_8-3-23.png

Please join MP Patrick Weiler for a virtual town hall discussion with the Honourable Bernadette Jordan, Minister of Fisheries, Oceans, and the Canadian Coast Guard, on our Government's plan for healthy oceans and fisheries on Thursday, August 13, 2020, 4:00pm PDT.

Send in your questions in advance by replying to this email so MP Weiler and Minister Jordan can address them during the town hall.

Please feel free to share this event with your friends and networks!

Event Details:
Topic:Town Hall with Minister Jordan and MP Patrick Weiler
Time: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 4:00pm PDT
Facebook Live: https://www.facebook.com/PatrickBWeiler/

Back