Biat ban on the Stamp/ Somass for winter steelhead season starting April 1/2011

rln

reading the new regualtions, I see bait can now be legally used below the "girl guide falls" only from Sept.15 to Oct.31. Looks like it's now banned for winter fish. It still can be used on the Sproat river for the winter season though.

WTF :confused:

Please post a Link rln. Looks like some more butts need a little kickin'...

Cheers,
Nog

Looking into this Nog. Can you let me know what you find out? I'll let you know.
Perhaps its time to do the halibut thing on MOE....?

No surprises there. Ministry of Do Nothing - typical mis-management response - let's regulate the crap out of the anglers because we all know they are responsible for killing all the steelhead. LAME Why don't they realize it is hook slze that creates mortality not bait....oh wait, stupid me...answer is they don't actually know anything about steelhead angling and hook mortality. Guess after all these years of religious dogma that bait is bad, they actually have come to believe a lie. Guess the next steps are to close a few more rivers and build steelhead viewing platforms rather than allow anglers to harass steelhead. Bad steelheaders, get off our rivers and leave the Ministry of Do Nothing's fish alone. Damn good thing I gave up steelheading 2 years ago - they can't blame me for the demise of steelhead. The rest of you guys need to man up and do the right thing - STOP fishing. Besides they took the fun out of it....the regs should read..."welcome to Region 1, where fun came to die."

WTF :confused:

Please post a Link rln. Looks like some more butts need a little kickin'...

Cheers,
Nog

Nog
I just picked up a copy of the new 2011-2013 regs and all the changes are hilighted in blue. When I turned to the Stamp river regs on page #20 it reads ""Bait may ONLY be used Spet 15-Oct 31 (dates in blue) BELOW signs at "Girl Guides Falls" "". The Somass reads "Bait may ONLY be used Sept 15- Oct 31 (dates in blue) ".
I don't have any online links to it at this time but you will be able to see it once the new regs are uploaded.

Stamp River and Somass River Angling Regulation Change for 2011 – 2013
There has been a printing error in the 2011 – 2013 Freshwater Fishing Synopsis. This error affects the Stamp and Somass River angling regulations. The corrections appear below:

For Stamp River
As written in the 2011 – 2013 synopsis
Correction for 2011 – 2013 synopsis
No Fishing between sign 200m above and 500m below Stamp Falls, June 15th – November 15th
No correction – same as printed
Bait Ban all year ABOVE signs at girl Guide Falls (approx. 250m upstream of the mouth of Beaver Creek)
Bait may only be used Sept 15th – Oct 31st BELOW signs at “Girl Guide Falls” (approx. 250m upstream of the mouth of Beaver Creek)
Bait may only be used Sept 15th – April 30th BELOW signs at “Girl Guide Falls” (approx. 250m upstream of the mouth of Beaver Creek)
Engine power restriction 7.5 Kw (10 hp) on all parts

For Somass River
As written in the 2011 – 2013 synopsis
Correction for 2011 – 2013 synopsis
Engine power restriction 7.5 Kw (10 hp) on parts
Bait may only be used Sept 15th – Oct 31st
Bait may only be used Sept 15th – April 30th

Sorry for any inconvenience this error may have caused. For additional clarity please call Michael McCulloch of the Fisheries Branch of the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural

I'm still predicting you will see steelhead viewing platforms just like they do for bears...you can look but not touch. Why so many river sections closed to angling? Why not allow anglers wet a line? Englishman is a prime example, closed the most interesting steelheading (fishing) waters leaving only the boring lower section to fish. Zero interest in that. Where is the angling experience in the decision making? And, more importantly where is the science that backs up the rationale for eliminating angling - no one has presented a solid scientific business case that clearly demonstrates a clear linkage between catch and release angling and the current steelhead recruitment problem...and if they want to throw hook mortality out as the reason, do the math. It doesn't add up to anything even remotely mathematically significant to the population dynamics of these runs of fish. Yawn, same old dead tired excuses is all we will hear. Time to sell what is left of my steelhead gear.

Re: Stamp

"Bait may only be used Sept 15th – Oct 31st BELOW signs at “Girl Guide Falls” (approx. 250m upstream of the mouth of Beaver Creek)
Bait may only be used Sept 15th – April 30th BELOW signs at “Girl Guide Falls” (approx. 250m upstream of the mouth of Beaver Creek)"

Re: Somass
"Bait may only be used Sept 15th – Oct 31st
Bait may only be used Sept 15th – April 30th."

What am I missing here?
It reads to me that bait may be used from Sept. 15th. until April 30th. in the designated areas of the two rivers.
Why are there two lines listed for each river for bait use from Sept. 15th. to Oct. 31st. then? That's only a month and a half whereas the Sept. 15 to April 30 period is around seven and a half months.
Why the redundancy?
Typo???

Call me "Confused in Campbell River."

Take care.

Re: Stamp

"Bait may only be used Sept 15th – Oct 31st BELOW signs at “Girl Guide Falls” (approx. 250m upstream of the mouth of Beaver Creek)
Bait may only be used Sept 15th – April 30th BELOW signs at “Girl Guide Falls” (approx. 250m upstream of the mouth of Beaver Creek)"

Re: Somass
"Bait may only be used Sept 15th – Oct 31st
Bait may only be used Sept 15th – April 30th."

What am I missing here?
It reads to me that bait may be used from Sept. 15th. until April 30th. in the designated areas of the two rivers.
Why are there two lines listed for each river for bait use from Sept. 15th. to Oct. 31st. then? That's only a month and a half whereas the Sept. 15 to April 30 period is around seven and a half months.
Why the redundancy?
Typo???

Call me "Confused in Campbell River."

Take care.

Reason was to open up a coho fishery in the fall. They like bait better than they like being lined. Bait is more sporting than lining them like they do on the Fraser. Or at least that was what they are attempting to do...the math on the dates is suspect, but then again the original posting of the regs was in error too so what do we expect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Common Searun you know why the Englishman is closed in that section? So Mike and his buddies can have there private little cutthroat/steelhead fishery. Just like they do on a few select rivers on VI. We all know bait doesn't kill steelhead, but thats where they like to lay the blame. They probably tried to sneak the bait ban below the bucket in and see if nobody noticed..lol....Heres a thought, why don't they spread out the smolt release on the Stamp instead of stacking them up in the bucket to falls area. That way a lot of the jet pressure can stay down low and spread things out a bit more. Almost time for the great kelt round up in the upper, black rock to the falls....

Common Searun you know why the Englishman is closed in that section? So Mike and his buddies can have there private little cutthroat/steelhead fishery. Just like they do on a few select rivers on VI. We all know bait doesn't kill steelhead, but thats where they like to lay the blame. They probably tried to sneak the bait ban below the bucket in and see if nobody noticed..lol....Heres a thought, why don't they spread out the smolt release on the Stamp instead of stacking them up in the bucket to falls area. That way a lot of the jet pressure can stay down low and spread things out a bit more. Almost time for the great kelt round up in the upper, black rock to the falls....

That sounds way too familiar

Nice one Roe Bags, strangely familiar pattern as you point out. I know I'm being hugely sarcastic in my post on this issue, but at times it feels so true. I feel like the Ministry dudes are pushing fish into their own private fisheries so they can keep them from the unwashed. The numbers they anticipate saving from hook mortality just don't add up nor do they justify a closure of some of the best fishy sections of rivers. What the hell ever happened to trying to create great angling experiences? Closing all but the most boring sections of rivers virtually guarantees anglers will lose interest and stop fishing...wait, that's a cunning plan...yeah, that's how we will get the unwashed off our rivers. Oh no, slap me I'm starting to sound like a fisheries biologist.

Back