Best time for Chum on the Cowie

I though it opened on Saturday. I could be wrong but I am going to give it a try with my son. Last year I remember quite a few chums still in the river at the end of November.

There is signs up there that say that it is open for retention. It says 1 coho (didnt specify clipped or not) and 2 chums

I am thinking of Saturday late morning or early afternoon. Maybe hook up in the hatchery parking lot if you want Nit. Let me know.

Yeah will have to see, I was thinking early sat morning, but all that could change ;) where abouts is the hatchery [?]..... I honestly dont know

The freshwater hatchery in Duncan. You can park there and it is a 2 minute walk to some decent fishing spots. I think it is called the Eco Center, it is on Wharncliffe road. If your going south on the Hwy turn left at the Chevron and where the junction splits to a Y follow it to the rigt until you hit Wharncliffe. Turn right and it ends at the eco centre. You can park there during daylight hours.

oh thanks, always wondered where it was, going to start fishing up by sandy pools first and make my way towards duncan , hope the river is descent, sure is hammering rain right now

fished sat and sun lots of beatup chum a few nice ones but not worth it, didn't see any coho from skutz down, but there were lots up closer to lake cowichan, lots of nice trout too ;)

Back