Best place to fish on the weekend

Only in the last few years they are triploids, and I am pretty sure it is not all of them to this day.... Although they have been trying it for years they finally have figured out the survival rates to make it viable for a over all catch and take stocking program. The interior was the the start of the experiment.

And I think "fried" is the wrong word... Triploids are neither male or female.

The large majority of lakes on south Vancouver island are stocked with triploid... only the odd lake that they want breeding stock for doesn't get them. Even the cutthroat trout they stock are surprisingly.

but yes, fried isnt exactly the right word... hence the quotations. but they also stock all female trout which are sterile.

i remeber catching what I thought was a wild trout a year ago at elk lake, it was propably only 12inches, but the colors on it were really nice, and it had a little beak on its upper and lower lip, put up a great fight a swell

kunni

The large majority of lakes on south Vancouver island are stocked with triploid... only the odd lake that they want breeding stock for doesn't get them. Even the cutthroat trout they stock are surprisingly.

[112rNfDLzDA] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=112rNfDLzDA

When I worked at the trout farm we wanted to do triploids... The province said no. This was 7 years ago??
The reason being from them was that it wasn't feasible... Too low of a survival rate. The earlier tests from them (the prov) got stocked into the interior lakes. 10-15 years ago it started?

At this time we were successfully doing golden dips...
I assume you know but for others (at the time) there were three ways to make trips... At the right time during incubation you can make a triploid by either Pressure shock, temperature shock, or chemical shock. The survival rates were low hence (I think) why they said no to us. I do know that triploids have gone into Langford lake, Elk, and Kemp..... and possibly others but to say they have perfected the technique so that all stocked (or even a good percentage) trout are trips... I need to see a link... Cause...

impossibru.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this fish was definitely hatchery. The triploid thing is interesting, makes some sense as a triploid fish won't contaminate the gene pool of wild trout, however will still compete for food.

They are simply for a put and take fishery. And there will be some fish worth catching in a few years ;)

Food I would not think to be a problem.... If the fish weren`t there we would have many bugs...

God damnit I am french again É

Last edited by a moderator:
Back