Best Motion Sickness Meds

Bruce Lee

Hi All,

Heading out to Tahsis tomorrow, and weather permitting on a tuna run Mon/Tues/Wed. Never been far offshore before, and insight into sea-sickness meds? I used to get sick on the ECVI, don't anymore no matter what the seas are like. So I may be OK but don;t want to F up the trip.

Thanks in advance

BL

go to your drug store pharmacy and get the compound formula meclezine....comes in tablet...starts working very quickly... I usually take it an hour before...

The patches may or may not work. I have used them for all offshore trips and havent got sick. Don't know if I'd be fine without them but not willing to take the chance. My cousin who get sick from being in the back of a car uses them for every trip on the water and swears by them.

Over 15 years in the navy. with over 1000 days of sea time. best tip i can give is the more you think about when your out there, then you will convince your self in to being sick.

Thanks for the replies guys..... hopefully I'll be too busy to be thing about getting sick, but will take some Meclizine anyway.

I'm a strong proponent of Sea Bands. The little accupressure bands you put on your wrists.

But you have to put them on and keep them on before you get sea sick.

This topic has been well covered in the past, but what I gleaned from previous info is that Bonnine is great. Only problem is that you need to go down South for it, not available in Canada.

Like others have said meclizine is the active ingredient in a great over the counter med often called Bonine or Dramamine. You can also use Scopolamine patches, but I believe you will need a prescription for these patches. So see your Doctor before going if you'd like some. The benefit of the patches is that they last for three days. So you have continual protection if you are going to be staying on a boat day and night.

One warning, if you do use Scopolamine be careful and wash your hands after you apply it and take it off. If you get it in your eyes it will dilate your eyes for a few hours and you won't be able to see well.

Also if you are an older gentleman and have trouble with prostate enlargement you many be safer with Meclizine. Scopolamine can cause inability to urinate and more likely the older you get. You wouldn't want to be stuck out on the ocean not able to pee. That would be quite the uncomfortable ride back to the hospital.

I never used to get Sea Sick... then I started kayak fishing and puked my guts out a few times. So I started using Meclizine. Works fantastic.

I don't mean to be rude but with my background I would favor the efficacy of a medication over a Wrist Band.

There is some interesting research on the P6 acupuncture location for improving Nausea and vomiting syptoms related to pregnancy and post operative.

Seems like studies very though with some showing slight effect and some none.

I found one study on the efficacy of Sea Bands on Motion sickness... no difference from placebo. Make of it what you will. The placebo effect is real and well documented. Goes back to what KyJelly44 was saying, the mind is a powerful thing to heal or destroy the body.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Here is the abstract from the one small study on Sea Bands.

Acupressure and motion sickness.
(PMID:2339974)
Abstract
Citations
BioEntities
Related Articles
External Links
Bruce DG, Golding JF, Hockenhull N, Pethybridge RJ
Institute of Naval Medicine, Gosport, Hants, England.
Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine [1990, 61(4):361-365]
Type: Clinical Trial, Controlled Clinical Trial, Journal Article, Comparative Study
Abstract Highlight Terms Highlight biological terms.
Chemicals(2)
The effectiveness of the "Sea Band" acupressure band compared with placebo and hyoscine (0.6 mg), also known as scopolamine, to increase tolerance to a laboratory nauseogenic cross-coupled motion challenge was assessed using 18 subjects. The results showed that the subjects had a significant increase in tolerance with hyoscine but had no increase in tolerance with the "Sea Band" or placebo. Possible reasons for the failure to show any significant protection from the use of these acupressure bands are insufficient movement of the wrist to provide continuous stimulation, and/or the likelihood that only a minority of the population would show non-negligible benefit as experience with medical acupressure would suggest. The application of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation may be worthy of study.

The sea bands might very well be a placebo, but they have worked for me quite well over the years.

I can't stand the dopey-ness of taking gravol.

If it works for you that is great, no medication is always better! I didn't see anyone mentioning gravol though. That's just an anti emetic that causes drowsiness. Not really what you want in a motion sickness medication. I feel the others do a better job.

If you really really need it, then Meclizine, but I agree with FishDoc, no medication is best. Sea sickness is your bodies response to conflicting input from your inner ear and visual interpretation by your brain as to where you are in space. When your brain is confused primitive programing kicks in and thinks you ate something poisonous and tries to throw it up. Over time you body figures this out and sea sickness is less of an issue.

Cavet, this does not work if the previous nights consumption was a 12 pack of Lucky's , lol.

Not to hijack this,,,but i remember out at the west coast firing rang this one navcom OD (probably his first sail) was sick on the bridge. he was getting close to chumming the water. I sent him done to the mess and said " drink a warm glass of milk to coat your stomach, and then eat a pickle to neutralize the acids in your stomach". :p

A gravol the night before if you can't get Meclizine otherwise you might sleep thru your fishing trip candied ginger and sea-bands work for some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

Back