Best halibut reel for price and durability? Rod?

merrittboy1

Looking at buying a new Hali reel, am wondering which reel people use or which they feel is best for price. Thinking about a Penn 330 gt. what about rods?

Looking at buying a new Hali reel, am wondering which reel people use or which they feel is best for price. Thinking about a Penn 330 gt. what about rods?

Penn 330 is a great tough reel for a reasonable price.
Ive tried Okuma's in the same price range and they are long gone.
My oldest Penn is still going strong.

Shimao TLD 20-Penns are mostly made in China now and the new models don't hold up as well as they once did.

You can still find US-made Penns on EBay but they hold their value.

Shimao TLD 20-Penns are mostly made in China now and the new models don't hold up as well as they once did.

You can still find US-made Penns on EBay but they hold their value.

Yep... My recommendation would be the Shimano TLD 25! :)

X 2 Shimano TLD. Also, I have three older Penn 330 GT's myself and have yet to have an issue with them. Parts are readily available and I lube them once a season.

IMO, you should spend more on your salmon reels than your halibut ones. Salmon fisherman benefit from the enhanced drag and smoothness a nice reel provides, where halibut fishing is definitely less nuanced. That said, I've used very high end hali reels and loved 'em, but I didn't find them necessary (well, they were more comfortable!).

I have 2 older 25's that I put larger handles on and I'm pleased. Mind after Penn 209's I couldn't help but be happy.

i prefer the old school diawa sealine 600H reels.
upgrade them to a carbon fiber drag and you get a smooth 35lbs drag, and can crank up a 15lb cannon ball!
heck even with the stock fiber drags they still do 25lbs drag

For a rod I would go for a Shimano Talora or even better a Technium. Super tough rods, with sensitive tips so you can leave them in the rod holder and the wave action does the jigging for you.

For a rod I would go for a Shimano Talora or even better a Technium. Super tough rods, with sensitive tips so you can leave them in the rod holder and the wave action does the jigging for you.

Apparently the current (or next year) models of the Technium will only have a one-year warranty and WILL NOT have a lifetime warranty.

Check the tag on any Techniums you buy and ensure it says lifetime warranty.

Cheers.

Apparently the current (or next year) models of the Technium will only have a one-year warranty and WILL NOT have a lifetime warranty.Check the tag on any Techniums you buy and ensure it says lifetime warranty....
I thought they'd already lowered the boom on all that and all rods purchased after the end of July were good for one year warranty and no more.

I blew out 2 fairly new Penn defiance reels on the weekend.I wasn't expecting to get much out of them as they came with a defiance rod which seems ok. I think I will look into the Shimano TLD 25 and see how they hold up. With that does anybody know where to get a good deal on a couple?

Don

For rod I would go with an ugly stik tiger lite. Very similar to the Shimano Talora, except $100 cheaper for around 60-$70. Light as a feather and come in a few different lengths.

I own a pair of St. Croix TSWC70HF hali rods that are just awesome.They have these Fugi heavy boat guides
on them that are bulletproof and look cool as well.Picked them up at Trotac in Victoria for $150 apiece.I know I'll get
many many years of service out of them.Got old school Peetz reels on them for now,but a couple of TLD25's would be
a nice addition as well.

enuzugez.jpg

My favorite small winch

Back