Best Hali Rod (line) in your Opinion?

Islandgirl

So I have a shakespeare Ugly stick and a Berkley Roughneck..Seem to work well. A friend is needing a rod..I was thinking of recommending the abu Garcia Workhorse..10 year warranty..There salmon rods are awesome.. and comments?

And on the topic of line..I used Powerpro 100# I don't think it is that available locally(I order from USA)..so anything else that I should recommend??

In my opinion the best hali rod is the Shimano Talora. Sensitive tip, stiff butt, stainless steel eyes, indestructible TC4 construction the has a lifetime warranty. Hard to beat. In regards to line I use 100lb. Tuff Line Plus. Super strong and super small diameter. Thats my 2 bits.

I use tuf xp 100 or 130... as for the power pro I have seen it at Nikka in Richmond, they had it at the boatshow.

If you guide, or just catch 50+ hali's a season, the Talora eye issue may become a problem, but for "Joe Blow" like the rest of us, I vote Talora all the way.

80# superbraid is plenty.

most popular super braid for halibut fishing in BC is good old salt n pepper T.U.F. line. 80lb is #1 followed by 100LB

Best rod was the Diawa samari halibut rod still have the same rods 12 years later and they have gone through alot of abuse. i have been given a Shimano technuium to try next week will tell you how that does. as for line for this year I switched to the power pro (80lb) test and I really like it very impresed so far.

But what I do is put a different color on each rod red,yellow and green Now you are probably wondering WHY!!!!!! as you know sometimes a hali wil run over to another line once hooked and then you have a nice little tangle where you have to bring up both rods this way I can see the 2 different lines to untangle or cut near the spreader bar makes my life a whole lot easier.

Good luck Wolf

When I'm doing the Swiftsure Chicken Hunt, the fishiest rod I seem to have (Don't Laught) out of my Shimano's and Berkleys is a White Rhino Halibut rod.. The EL CHEAPO white one, I grabbed it out of a bin at Outfitters I think for $19, but for whatever reason, on any day of the week I can watch it out-fish other similar rigged rods (And it's the proud sponsor of my biggest butt to date, 140 pounds). I'm expecting it to break any day, and all the epoxy flaked off the first month I had it, but when it comes to a fishy rod, it's right there. I've had it for 3 years, the only reason I don't run ALL crap Rhino's is they are too short to keep the gear away from the boat.

quote:I use red line while steelheading and salmon fishing too.

i use red line for salmon as well but use maxima for leaders.
And funny about that rod lastchance seems to be a common thing I've seen;)

Halibut are not line shy so color does not matter. I use blue tuna cord a lot and doesn't seen to matter. I like the short 5'6 rods for halibut.

I recommend power pro over the tuff line. I have tons of both. The Tuff line will cut through another tuff line if the line gets crossed and one keeps reeling. Other than that both are great. If the fishers know whats going on and uncross the lines if they cross, tuff line is swesome too. I read somewhere that Walmart sells Pwer Pro dirt cheap. Anyone hear of that?

For halibut I like a short rod also, a one piece, one that doesn't have a weak spot in the middle lots of good ones out there. Unless I'm fishing a ledge where you have to try and stop the halibut when he heads for the deep, I prefer the 50 lb Tuff Line as it is super thin and strong enough to land 100 lb plus halibut.

I agree with the 50 pound line. I have it on most rods now and only broke it once when hooked up on the bottom and had one hell of a time trying to break it. It really cut into my billy club when it finally broke. Had to use the boats motor power to pull hard enough to break it. Don't get your fingers in it.

I have two rods spooled with 1500 yards each of 50 pound power pro. Sunday we head for Lapush Washington for a week. I have several spots picked out between 30 and 45 miles off of the coast that are going to be 1100-1500' deep. These are on electric reels. Looking for some monster lings and halibut. Guess I will find out. I could be in trouble if I hit a six gill shark. They get pretty big and go this deep.

Back