Best Hali Reel!

Avet makes small, yet powerful reels, you can get them at Trotac. I have a Avet MXJ G2 and it is great. If you want to pay more for a small (easier to handle), but powerful reels try Shimano Speedmaster, Torium,Talica and Trinidad.

There also is Accurate reels - considered by some to be some of the finest small, powerful reel out there like the Fury, Valiant and Boss Extreme. You can get Accurate reels at Pacific Net and Twine. You can also check out Fin-Nor and Diawa Saltist reels.

I'm sure others will chime in with other recommendations. To me the key is a solid built, powerful small reel that is easy to handle and doesn't tire you out trying to balance it when reeling in a halibut, but has the power to do the job. My 2 bits.

Think you need a bigger reel.
I use a couple of 2 speed Penn fathom 40 reels- more than enough for what we have here on the coast.
Everybody will have their own favourites-take your pick.

Anyone ever used 7000c ambassador reels? I have a larger halibut reel but it is so big and bulky and awkward.

Anyone ever used 7000c ambassador reels? I have a larger halibut reel but it is so big and bulky and awkward.
Yeah they work but get a bigger fish and the side plates flex under load thus binding the spool.

OTOH we aren't allowed to kill larger units so using a smaller reel to make things easier makes sense.

I would avoid a 2 speed for hali fishing unless you fish regularly in real deep water with heavy current. Can't say I've ever needed/ wanted the low gears when I've had a 2 speed in the lineup while a regular reel was down for maintenance. 2 speeds are more money and have more things to screw up.

I avoid avets. When I use to manage someone else's charter business I sent our hali reels out for service and they got lost in shipping on return (ouch). I went out and bought around 20 avets right before the season as that was what I could get my hands on locally and they are affordable. Maybe 5 lasted the year. Those that were sent off for maintenance didn't last 20 days the following season. Some guys love them but my personal experience says they have a couple issues. Wasn't the only batch of avets we had issues with either. Did we baby the reels? No. Did they get left in the rocket launchers while running or adjust the course knob with the drag on? No.

Back