Best Casing for Garlic sausage?

Islandgirl

I am going to get on this sausage making thing now the weather has turned.
What would be the best casing for garlic sausage?
I plan on using Nogs recipe. I have not had good experience with natural hog casings. The one time I used them they were tough.

Any suggestions?

All casing are "tough" sort of speak as you dont want something to weak then the casings break also depends if your going to smoke them or not as drying and smoking definitely makes them tougher. if you want you can cook them as well in a warm bath in water up to 175 but dont let the meat go past 155 as you dont wan to dry them out, for a bit to plump them up and then shower them (ice cold water) to stop the cooking and to drop them down past the "danger zone"and them let them Bloom we use hog casings at work and more than fine and easy to use....

If you want call me or pm I may be able to help you out in what i do know...

Good luck Wolf

Quality Hog Casings is all we have ever used. Helps to get them fresh and from a recognized good facility.
If you are having trouble with the latter, let me know.
We get ours from Hertel's Meats here in Port, and they have always been First Rate.
If you so need, I can pick up a "Hank" (smallest commercial volume) for you and fire it off on the bus...

Cheers,
Nog

Stuffer's in Langley will sell you a "Hank" . . or a tub of 35 mm shorts Salted and send them to you.They work well!! Stuffers has almost everything you need for sausage making-some of it pretty pricey-Believe it or not Princess Auto has some decently priced stuff such as mixers stuffers and hand grinders

You can get salted hog casings from butcher block as well

You can get salted hog casings from butcher block as well

Thanks Nog for the offer. I may take you up on that.
The tough ones I bought last time were from butchers block, therefore I am hesitant to try that again.

Thanks Nog for the offer. I may take you up on that.

No Worries, Happy to Help! :)
Shoot me a pm when you are ready, and I'll call out to check pricing and make the pick-up arrangements.
Bear with me though, this will have to be addressed between rather frequent hunting trips of late... ;)

Cheers,
Matt

Back