Berkley Fireline

Whole in the Water

Anyone out there had much experience using Berkley Fireline? If so, what do you think of it for trout and especially bass fishing???

Thanks for any knowledgable replies.

I've used the Fireline for over 10 years now steelhead fishing on the Island and LOVE it. The only issue I have found is the need to use a mono leader in clear water conditions (which also serves as the weak link should you get snagged). I think it would be great for bass when you need to yard them out of cover...be it weeds or wood. I heard horror stories of the line wrecking the ceramics in the rod guides but have yet to see that happen. I have also one season of use with the line on my halibut rod and it has worked well so far (although admittedly a bit of a pain when snagged!)...it has great feel.

Most of the braided line is great for sensitivity as it has no stretch like mono. However make sure your knots are suited for braid. A palomar knot is generally best and easiest. The lines have progressed to be a little gentler on the guides but on a hard hook set the line will bind into the spool of line. This is especially bad on baitcasters.
It does generally have high visibility, I use flourocarbon leaders if I am not fishing Quennell lake in cedar.
It has it's uses. Try a small spool of the stuf and see what you think before you dump some cash into this experiment. My opinion is that the stuff works for some situations but not all situations.
Love it for salt water jigging!

i like the tuff-line(black and white stuff)but i think the lowest test is 30 but its great for jiging[8D]

I use the green braided variety (Same sort of thing I belive) for all of my halibut and Salmon gear. I usually get an earfull for not running Mono for salmon from the other guides, but you just have have to BE GENTLE, and the crap will last for ever. It DOES like to birdsnest if you are not carefull. ANd I've had the odd fish wrap around the leg of the main motor and a downrigger cable and the fish still made it to the boat with it! I'm a beliver, it's just very expensive, but most things that are good are.

I just spooled a reel with 14 lb fireline and have really enjoyed it so far. Great sensitivity and strength. Great castability. A bit stiff for my liking though. I prefer the Spiderwire Stealth overall which I have on another spool. I use a lighter leader with both and haven't lost any of my mainline yet. Combine either with a good rod and you'll feel every twitch.

The line will soften with a little use and be much more flexible. My only gripe with the line is it does bite into itself on the spool when you really yard on it...I've lost a few fish this way when the line bit and would release with the drag. That said, I've managed to get a lot of fish in that would have otherwise been lost on mono.

It is alright. For big game I find I can get more in the boat with Power Pro. But I do like Fire line on their smaller sizes like 8,6,4.

Back