Beach Seining For Bait? Whaddya Think?

Dogbreath

It was great to see the results in Sculpin's post-using live works really well for Tuna but we don't have any here yet.

Even if you locate a school of bait here trying to catch them from a sport boat is an exercise in frustration-use a cast net and the bait dives deep.

In places like Trinidad & Tobago where fishing with live bait is popular people use beach seines pulled by hand to load up-I've done it and it's not rocket science.

There are some important local considerations & practical ones to be sure but has anyone thought of doing it here?

Most of the bait I see isn't near the beach unfortunately......

(BTW....I was at Tobago once......loved the place)

How long would chovies stay healthy in net pens do you think? That will be the key to getting something like that going.

I used to do a lot of seining before moving here. Once here, I was told by the DFO only natives are allowed to seine. I gave the seine net away. I still have my cast net, though I've not used it here.

There's some beaches that just boil in late August evenings where I live. I'm usually enjoying fish on the portable BBQ while watching it though. Never thought about fishing for bait.... Seems like adding a whole lot of work to a nice summers eve though.

Complete nonsense.

Are you sure about that??

From what I can read in the regs, we can use cast nets and dip nets for a few things (Herring, sand lance, anchovy, sardine, mackerel) and smelt by gill net. I see nothing about seine nets.

Are you sure about that??

From what I can read in the regs, we can use cast nets and dip nets for a few things (Herring, sand lance, anchovy, sardine, mackerel) and smelt by gill net. I see nothing about seine nets.[/

Not 100% but I believe to seine it needs to be done by First Nations.

Not 100% but I believe to seine it needs to be done by First Nations.

X2 Pretty sure. If not.....I can get the nets bwahahahah.

Complete nonsense.

I just got back from the local DFO office on another matter but asked again since I was there. "Only Native Indians/First Nations can use a seine net with the exception of hatchery employees on hatchery property performing hatchery duties. Positively no one else can use a seine net" is the response given.

I fished for tuna years ago off PEI. We would jig for our bait (8" to 12" mackerel...) right near where we were fishing for tuna... can't see why that wouldn't work. our jigs were just basically a leader with half a dozen bright mylar flies on it. alot of times we would fill just about every fly with a mackerel when jigging... there were some pretty incredible schools of mackerel around though...

.....our jigs were just basically a leader with half a dozen bright mylar flies on it. alot of times we would fill just about every fly with a mackerel when jigging... there were some pretty incredible schools of mackerel around though...
Yes a Sabiki rig-they work for Mackerel, Larger Sardines (Pilchards) and even Saury if you can find them but Anchovies are a lot smaller and don't take handling all that well.

Might work for Herring if they're big enough.

Yes a Sabiki rig-they work for Mackerel, Larger Sardines (Pilchards) and even Saury if you can find them but Anchovies are a lot smaller and don't take handling all that well.

Might work for Herring if they're big enough.

yes, a sabiki rig, exactly... i have a couple in with all my tackle but never took the opportunity to try them here on the west coast...

Sabikis work great for any bait if you get the right one, its like lures they all dont work as well for different baits.
Check out the Sabiki rods, they are slick.
I have 2 rigged and ready to go at all times on my boat and they work great.

Back