BC Ferries Pay Raises WTF?

How much do you think a CEO of a major corporation should make?? Compared to what some senior executives make in the private sector these guys are under paid. We should demand the best people available for the job, ferries are an important service to all of us , and to get the best people it cost money.

I think a CEO should be paid based on performance! As a tax payer I expect the biggest bang for my buck possible and we are definitely not getting it from BC ferries. Raising prices year after year and then patting yourself on the back with a big pay raise is terrible management. Instead a good CEO would have used that money to pay back the BC tax payer

These guys run a large "business". You have to compete with the market for execs. You get what you pay for. I'm frankly surprised at how low their salaries are.

really it should be the mid and low level staff that shouldn't be making so much. You got guys scooping eggs at the lunch counter making $20+/hour.

Capitalism and corporate greed at its finest. Wait until the gov't bankrupts BCHydro, and then some private company rolls in to save the day.

I think the execs and CEO are totally overpaid.

How hard could it be to run a ferry system really?........I'll bet you or me could do it....

They have the same routes , the same staff, the same maintenance schedules year after year.

The biggest thing execs and CEO's do is go to meetings.

If there isn't a meeting they'll invent one just so they've got something to do.

Meetings about anything or everything.........they have to look like they are actually doing something.

All those who attend meetings are not allowed to speak English.

They must use "Corporate-speak"............and the golden rule is to never come to a conclusion or a solution...thereby paving the way for the next meeting.

After attending meetings ad nauseum for days , weeks and months on end.......the management actually starts to beleive their own b.s. and becomes brainwashed into thinking that what they say actually has some kind of benefit.

Unfortunately, because of the golden rule, they can never articulate the benefit, meaning or value of anything said as it has to be discussed at the next meeting...which is always tomorrow.

In your world Seafever, maybe you could have the cooks and cleaning staff take turns being the CEO, after all there is F*@k all to it!!!

I think there's a bit more to managing a business with the capital investment/plan and operating budget they have than just showing up at meetings. There are lot of variables that need a keen set of eyes. Clearly not an argument I'll win based on logic on this thread. I respect your view, but, you need qualified leaders to run a business that size. Execs in most industries get paid the big $ based on getting target results and meeting specific bonus criteria. Its never easy and the job is 24/7. I've got a pretty good idea what senior people make in a few industries, and, these guys aren't over paid. I don't understand what it is with people always wanting to pick on BC Hydro execs or BC Ferry execs.

BC Ferries is not a business it's a monopoly. No business would run some routes way over costs to subsidize others. That is more like a commune but in a commune there are no overpaid executives. Our last leader of the ferry system was in charge when we sunk our first ferry and lost two lives. What ever happened to the buck stops at the top. Oh yeah they are not interested in making a buck they want bucketsfull of bucks. I don't buy this best and brightest crap it's an old boys club where everyone pats each other on the back or should I say pads each others wallet. The real world is struggling right now but these guys live in a world of their own. As far as the burgur flippers go I don't begrudge anyone a living wage. We are all only on this ride once.

I saw this on the news last night and one comment was the ferry corporation needs good people at the top to market and manage the company with ruthless competitors chasing the same buck. I must be missing something because I didn't realize there was any competition running up against them.

BC Ferries is not a business it's a monopoly. No business would run some routes way over costs to subsidize others. That is more like a commune but in a commune there are no overpaid executives

It's a government operation. There's probably no competition because there's not enough money/profit in it for a private corp to have interest.

Some of the Gulf Island routes I think lose money based on media reports I've heard/read, they are subsidized by the main routes or more tax dollars. This is what government's role is, to provide necessary services to the citizens where the private sector cannot provide it more cheaply and still make a profit. I think if the private sector was running BC Ferries you could expect much higher costs at the booth.

The ferries are losing money because ridership is down. Ridership is down because the ferries have gotten so expensive. Solution, raise the fares which discourages ridership. Pat yourself on the back for that one with a raise.

The Government should be using some of the millions of dollars they use to tell us how great they are on promoting our tourism industry instead. Get the ridership up that way and stop raising the fares. Then you can pass out bonuses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they over paid? IMO - YES!!!!

For a brief comparison to relate not the job title, but the levels of responsibility, just take a look at the pay levels for World Leaders and compare that to the $400,000.00++ Salaries of the top BC Ferries Executives. USA President - $400,000, Canadian Prime Minister - $318,000, take a look at more of them, some of them make surprisingly small salaries.

Also check out the pay levels for the Premiers of Canada. And while you are comparing these $$$ amounts don't forget that the salaries for the BC Ferries Execs are paid by the BC Ferries Corp, which is partially subsidized by our tax dollars along with the very expensive ferry rates. How much does one really have to make on the backs of everyone that is just working really hard to just make a living. Our governments should be redirecting some of these funds back into our education system to "invest" in our future (by educating our youth), or put it into our health care system, instead of making a select few absolutely filthy rich. Or,,,, just don't worry about it, we will just raise the taxes some more, and then raise them some more, and on and on....

That's my rant for the day! As you can tell i'm just a bit JADED by the BCFC as a Corporation, nothing to do with the individuals that are on the decks - (kinda similar to the situation with DFO).

It is my understanding that the top execs at Washington ferry system ( very similar) in complexity to ours are quite happy earning around 150k. I would consider that to be reasonable. B. C. Ferry's is pricing itself out of the reach of too many families. All that was ever needed was a safe ride to the other side at the lowest possible cost.

Yes. I don't get these people that say what they get paid is OK and then ***** when taxes go up. One of the reasons taxes go up is for paying these guys these ridiculous salaries. Not saying they should not be paid well but sure as hell not what they are being paid now. As terrin points out the Washington State Ferry system is a good example of what is reasonable. Low cost, A to B service thats all we need.

I think the edmunds ferry in Washington which is not a whole lot smaller then a bc ferry doing the Sidney - twassen run costs $10 per car and they don't ding you for extra passengers. The run across is much shorter but its a good example of low cost service.

They use their old boats though. BCF is talking about purchasing more new ferries so we can look forward to paying for those in the next decade. The logic must be build brand new beautiful ferries and riders will come no matter what the cost. Instead of use what we got and keep the costs down.

In my opinion they have found a way to legally steal from us.

come on guys get real.one person said the kitchen help makes to much at 20 per hour or plus really can you live on that i dont think so.everybody wants the best but hates when people make good money. 150k a year is nothing for somebody with that big of a job.our ferry system is one of the best in the world be proud of that.the head of that works for every penny these guys work hard and long it is well deserved.lets all just go fishing and enjoy and stop whinning how much other people make

Those of you who thing the Washington State Ferry system is a good comparator to BC Ferries should do a little bit of research on how many ships they have, how big they are (in terms of passenger and vehicle capacity), the number and length of the routes are and so forth. You will find the comparison interesting - and not particularly relevant.
I'm in no way trying to defend the bonuses the BCF execs are getting - just suggesting that a comparison with the Washington State system is not appropriate.

Back