BC Ferries Myths

Kisinana

BCFMWU President, Chris Abbott, speaking at the Gabriola Island ferries community engagement meeting, December 10, 2013
No wonder the costs are so high.

Dispelling the myths. - BC Ferries listen to this it makes your blood boil

Some interesting comments.
http://vimeo.com/81786000

I agree with the video. There has to be political appointed positions cut immediately. They are uncalled for and draining our tax dollars.

The service end is fine IMO. Top end is the problem.

User rates have gone up over how many years? Service wages have gone up how much over those same years? How many new routes have been introduced in the last twenty years? How many new mangers have been posted to various routes, how many new administration buildings have been built, and how many upgrades have they done to various terminals? What has changed? Nothing except the number of managers and new administration buildings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any one know the cost of the advertising that BC ferries "vacations" has done at Roger's arena? That's always been a head scratcher to me. Marketing can be a money pit - strange to market a company that is basically an essential service.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Maybe too many managers but how many to many? He doesn't mention the difference in size of BC Ferries and that of Washington State. I take it with a grain of salt...he has an agenda just like the other side would have too. A one sided opinion is all it is and obviously not completely accurate. If staffing is a problem then they should look at where cuts can be made, both union members or management. As far as debt goes...geez I haven't forgot about those super "great" fast ferries we paid for then sold for next to nothing a few years back. If that money wasn't wasted BC Ferries would have a surplus right now not $220 in the hole.

Does anybody know the difference in the pay rates of employees of BC Ferries and Washington State?

As far as debt goes...geez I haven't forgot about those super "great" fast ferries we paid for then sold for next to nothing a few years back. If that money wasn't wasted BC Ferries would have a surplus right now not $220 in the hole.

Your talking about the 3 New Flensburger Ships from Germany right. The ones that are too big and pigs on fuel that sit unused most of the time right? The 90's were 3 decades ago and although sold for next to nothing still being used somewhere in the world.

Hey terrin.. I am 42 and the fast ferries will be paid off by my grandkids.. Has nothin to do with the 90's..fast cats killed bc ferries bank.

Your talking about the 3 New Flensburger Ships from Germany right. The ones that are too big and pigs on fuel that sit unused most of the time right? The 90's were 3 decades ago and although sold for next to nothing still being used somewhere in the world.

No, he means the fast cats that were deemed unfit for our waters and never went into service. The new celebration vessels are fine and used daily.

I believe the ill conceived and badly engineered Fast cats was where the ferries debt started to get out of control and it is our grandkids who will be paying for it until they retire and beyond. We paid a big buck for them(with borrowed money) to have them "made in BC". They were useless for our needs and were sold for pennies on the dollar. No wonder we owe so much!!!

Uh, calmsea, in service they were, reliable they weren't.... Vibrated like a wet dog and threw out a big wake.

Hey terrin.. I am 42 and the fast ferries will be paid off by my grandkids.. Has nothin to do with the 90's..fast cats killed bc ferries bank.

I guess that means we can blame all BC Ferry problems on the Fast Cats for the next 60 years then.

They cost over $450 million dollars to build and the corporation is by the union leaders words only $220 million in the whole now...what don't you get? Once you get into a large debt situation it takes a long time to get even again...especially when the other ferries needed replacing too. So add on the debt to build the Celebration Class ferries. All to try and shorten the sailing times by a few minutes which is not and was not the main ***** people had with the ferries. The main problem was having to wait 2 or 3 sailings in the peak summer months due to capacity issues. Two or three more new Spirit Class vessels would have solved that and taken pressure off more new builds in the short term.

I guess that means we can blame all BC Ferry problems on the Fast Cats for the next 60 years then.

not all ,, but close,, and it seems a lot of other decisions they make...

not directed at your quote, but if ridership is down ,, why would higher rates help in any way?

i do agree with less sailings until ridership picks up but only if fees are lowered.. so many mid day/ mid week trips i take and the boat is empty.

Back