BC Agriculture Threatens to shut down sportsfishing in BC

FishBC.org

Take what you want from this email, but it appears to me that if we pursue to prove that ISAv exists in BC, that retaliation will be to shut down fishing at all for us period..

Seems like a threat to me.
Are they asking for a war to happen?

This is the email a charter guide got in response to his email to Gary Marty BC Agriculture Minister.

Brian Silversides Fishing McKinlay
Reply by Gary Marty to me just now: Dear Brian,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I admire your passion for wild fish.
When the Pacific herring population in Prince William Sound, Alaska, crashed in 1993 and did not recover, I was called to conduct a comprehensive study to determine the role of disease in limiting recovery. I concluded that a parasite (Ichthyophonus hoferi) and a OIE-reportable virus (VHSV) were limiting recovery (Marty et al. 2010). The commercial herring fishery there has been closed since 1998.
Consider this scenario:

1) ISAV is confirmed in BC

2) Therefore, to protect our stocks all first nations, sport, and commercial salmon fishing must be prohibited indefinitely.

QUESTION: Given this potential result, are you still convinced that ISAV has been confirmed in BC?

Sincerely,
Gary

I too just got the exact same generic response as the guide did.

My response was as follows.

Gary. Why exactly would sportfishing in BC be shut down when it is so low pressure compared to FN, and Commercial openings?. I think the solution is obvious. Put these pens on land in closed containment fascilities. I appreciate your generic response, but I deem your response as a threat to the entire sport fishing industry, and have shared it as such with tens of thousands of sportfishermen in your exact context.

If ISAv as you say does not exist in BC waters, then there is time to act to remove the threat by removing the fish pens from our waters according to your theory, but so long as they remain, the threat remains, and is proven by history in Chile, and Norway.

In all honesty Atlantic Salmon are and should be deemed an invasive species, and should not be farmed in our pacific waters period.

Do you really think anyone would stop fishing if the government said so? I think the country would be going to war amongst itself at that point in all honesty judging by how most people feel about this issue.

Our fish are being mismanaged by the same people who mismanaged the entire east coast fishery to near extinction, and the very same people who are now tasked to "regulate" these fish pens working under the guise of the federal Govt, who's prime minister was recently quoted as saying "Canada is not a giant wilderness park"..

Do I trust my fish with these people, or people supporting them? Absolutely not.

Thankfully no one I know does either.

Remember the recall with Gordon Campbell when he pissed the people in BC off?.

This is at least as big as that.

I do not agree with anyone, who appears to be playing god altering our normal natural species in our waters.

I don't feel our federal or provincial government has a right to kill our wild species off like this at all, and I don't care how much money the Norweigans are making you.

Some things can't be bought, and tens of thousands of fishermen will attest to this.

Keep that in mind.

The ONLY solution is these pens out of the water, and on to land. No one would care if they were on land. It's that simple.

We really frankly don't care how much it costs the Norweigan's and Federal Govt to make sure of that, only that it gets done.

Norway devestated their own waters, and Canada welcomed them in open arms for the $$, and to me, as a Canadian, that is sick and makes me want to hang my head in shame.

I would hope that you will consider this because the reality is that ALL of us feel this exact same way. Anyone who has anything to do with our five salmon species feels this exact same way.

This is not going away, and is too big to be pushed under rugs.

I have a personal MP friend who's bringing this exact issue in house of commons, and there's others too.

Waiting for ISAv to rear it's head is playing russian roulette with my fish.

Enjoy your day.

Regards.

I wonder how FN are going to respond to this considering they are under unsettled treaties in BC.
I'm thinking they're not going to like this email.

The Day I am forced to put down my fishing rod and not do it voluntarily is the day They would have to use lethal force to stop me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done! My thoughts exactly but I would also have added a question to him:

'When those charged with ensuring the welfare of Pacific salmon (ie. Campbell & Harper) are finally 'charged' with accepting 'bribes' from the industry and therein, committing crimes against the environment, do you want your name attached to this list of those who 'slept' the Norwegians and turned their backs on our fish?

Well done! My thoughts exactly but I would also have added a question to him:

'When those charged with ensuring the welfare of Pacific salmon (ie. Campbell & Harper) are finally 'charged' with accepting 'bribes' from the industry and therein, committing crimes against the environment, do you want your name attached to this list of those who 'slept' the Norwegians and turned their backs on our fish?

Here's where you can fill in the details.

He's responded yet again, this time to try and confuse me.

Thanks for sharing my thoughts with “tens of thousands of sportfishermen” in their exact context. Informed dialogue is very helpful. If aquaculture facilities are being asked to shut down their operations because they might spread a virus, then it is only prudent that any other activities that might spread the virus must also be shut down. To be clear, I was only offering a scenario, not a recommendation. Because of these potential implications, however, I hope that you will agree with me that we need to be very sure that ISAV positive PCR tests are confirmed, and we need to be very sure about whether what is being found is minor or major.

My next question to consider:

“On what basis are you concerned about ISAV in Pacific salmon?”

Here is the information that I use:

1. The first word of the title of Molly Kibenge’s draft manuscript regarding her ISAV PCR findings in BC Pacific salmon is “Asymptomatic” (= no disease). [Cohen Exhibit #]. It is quite common for fish (and people) to have virus but not have a disease.

2. When Dr. Kristi Miller reported ISAV positive PCR results in farmed Chinook salmon, she made it very clear that “There's no indication that it's causing disease” [December 15 Cohen transcripts, p. 53, lines 9 - 16]. I am the histopathologist that examined samples from the fish tested by Dr. Miller on the Creative salmon case, and I agree with Dr. Miller [see Cohen Exhibit # 2078]

3. Dr. Fred Kibenge isolated an eastern Canadian strain of ISAV from farmed coho salmon in Chile in 1999 (Kibenge et al. 2001), but the fish did not have clinical signs characteristic of ISA, and ISAV was not confirmed in the affected tissues; instead, the fish had a disease characterized by jaundice that continues to occur in Chile without any evidence of ISAV (Smith et al. 2006), supporting Dr. Kibenge’s conclusion that his ISAV findings in 1999 “might have been coincidental” (Cohen Exhibit #2086). The eastern Canadian strain of ISAV was never again found in Chile.

4. When Pacific salmon species were exposed to one of two strains of ISAV during controlled laboratory experiments, “No signs typical of ISA and no ISAV-related mortality occurred among any of the groups of Oncorhynchus spp. in either experiment (Rolland & Winton 2003).”

5. In 2008, the European strain of ISAV was widespread among farmed Atlantic salmon in Chile. Annual production of farmed coho salmon in Chile is greater than annual production of all species of farm salmon in BC. None of the Chilean coho salmon contracted ISA [December 19 Cohen transcripts, p. 53, lines 30 - 41].

The evidence in the peer-reviewed scientific literature and the Cohen Commission proceedings supports the conclusion that known and suspect strains of ISAV are not a major threat to wild Pacific salmon.

ISA is an Atlantic salmon disease, not a Pacific salmon disease. I remain confident that we do not have imported strains of ISAV in either our farmed Atlantic salmon or farmed/wild Pacific salmon. I am awaiting confirmatory evidence regarding some preliminary evidence that a native ISAV-like virus occurs in BC.

When VHSV (it causes a different OIE-reportable disease) was first isolated from hatcheries in the State of Washington in 1989, people were very concerned that it might be an imported strain. Today, however, we know that the 1989 finding was actually a native strain that is not a great concern to Pacific salmon species.

Sincerely,

Gary

-------------------------------------------------------------
Gary D. Marty, Fish Pathologist
Animal Health Centre
Ministry of Agriculture
1767 Angus Campbell Rd.
Abbotsford, BC, V3G 2M3
604-556-3123

Literature cited:

Kibenge FSB, Garate ON, Johnson G, Arriagada R, Kibenge MJT, Wadowska D (2001) Isolation and identification of infectious salmon anaemia virus (ISAV) from Coho salmon in Chile. Dis. Aquat. Org. 45:9-18

Rolland JB, Winton JR (2003) Relative resistance of Pacific salmon to infectious salmon anaemia virus. J. Fish Dis. 26:511-520

Smith PA, Larenas J, Contreras J, Cassigoli J, Venegas C, Rojas ME, Guajardo A, Perez S, Diaz S (2006) Infectious haemolytic anaemia causes jaundice outbreaks in seawater-cultured coho salmon, Oncorhynchus kisutch (Walbaum), in Chile. J. Fish Dis. 29:709-715

My response to him was this.

Are you trying to say that ISAv cannot mutate and affect our wild salmon?
I am under the understanding and impression that just a few minor mutations would be all that is needed from all of my research. To me that is dangerous. I understand the needs for a food source, and export, but doing it the way it's currently being done is dangerous and playing with fire.
I believe fully to make 100% sure of this before a hindsight scenario happens, it to move the farms to land based containment. Even though ISAv may or may not be "killing" our fish yet, the potential for it to do so exists.

Another fishermen quoted in response to my previous letter that he would ask you the following question.

Now. I'm not going to be extreme as in that comment, but I ask of you exactly what benefit besides purely financial there is to raising these fish in waters that are normally only inhabited by pacific salmon. If genetically they were designed by evolution to exist here they would already do so.

Dear minister, I do appreciate your time, but at the same time please consider all that we in BC want is the farms simply moved to land in closed containment to take out the "what if" and "potential threat"

We are not prepared to deal with a "we goofed" and "too late"

Raising Atlantic Salmon in Pacific farms is wrong no matter how one looks at it, and to be even potentially threatening to our fish is unexcusable.

As stated prior some things are worth more than money.
The opportunity to rectify the entire industry exists, and can be done, and this problem would vanish. If it's about money, the Govt, and Norweigan farms must spend it. Otherwise they can go home, and take their fish with them. Lifelong BC residents are no longer interested in excuses, and not willing to assume these risks for others to line their pockets with.

Regards once again.

I wonder if the BC agriculture minister knows I have a personal friend whom I've drank coffee with, who's opposition MP in the House of Commons in Ottawa?

Off to Ottawa we go folks.

Mr Speaker, what do we have to say about this?

Take what you want from this email, but it appears to me that if we pursue to prove that ISAv exists in BC, that retaliation will be to shut down fishing at all for us period..

This is the email a charter guide got in response to his email to Gary Marty BC Agriculture Minister.

When the Pacific herring population in Prince William Sound, Alaska, crashed in 1993 and did not recover, I was called to conduct a comprehensive study to determine the role of disease in limiting recovery. I concluded that a parasite (Ichthyophonus hoferi) and a OIE-reportable virus (VHSV) were limiting recovery (Marty et al. 2010). The commercial herring fishery there has been closed since 1998.
Consider this scenario:

2) Therefore, to protect our stocks all first nations, sport, and commercial salmon fishing must be prohibited indefinitely.

QUESTION: Given this potential result, are you still convinced that ISAV has been confirmed in BC?

Sincerely,
Gary

For the record.. Marty is NOT the BC Ag Minister. Here is the real one http://www.donmcrae.com/ Personally I wouldnt read too much into what Marty wrote. He does not have squat in the way of power to shut down fisheries.

For the record.. Marty is NOT the BC Ag Minister. Here is the real one http://www.donmcrae.com/ Personally I wouldnt read too much into what Marty wrote. He does not have squat in the way of power to shut down fisheries.

Only the feds have the power to shut it down, which is why MP's must be involved in the house of commons to change anything.
MLAS and provincial representatives no longer have ANY say on the fish farms, but you can bet with tax dollars etc the province is still getting kickbacks so they'd be in on the coverups as long as possible.

It does appear I was mislead about Marty's official "Title" HOWEVER he is still the voice for Canada's Food Inspection Agency with regards to farmed salmon. If the CFIA is stating that there's no ISAv in our waters who are they trying to protect and why?, and why would they put a subtle threat poised as a question?.

Gary Marty whomever he is, must be something in this province to carry the gary.marty@gov.bc.ca title.
Animal Health Centre
Ministry of Agriculture

Ah here is his official title. Gary Marty (British Columbia Provincial Fish Pathologist)

Either way. Their views are in complete opposition of scientists who tested these fish for positives, and to me Being in provincial agriculture, and also speaking for CFIA saying the fish are just fine, is a complete conflict of interest. It's obvious that any testing should be done by outside entities that aren't in the arena to push through the fish as food.

I am pretty sure Don Mcrae has no power over these fish farms now either.

Here is where the title problem came from

http://www.canada.com/Concerned+that+column+will+mislead+public/6012685/story.html

Gary Marty BC Ministry of Agriculture Abbotsford

Either way he's speaking for Don Mcrae then.
Unless he's rogue but that would be unwise.

Consider this scenario:

Sincerely,
Gary

Hey FishBC.Org. I would strongly recommend printing this letter is numerous newspapers to showcase the antagonistic and threatening attitude of this individual. This is a completely unacceptable attitude for a supossedly unbiased public servant. I would also let Alexandra Morton see this letter as well - she can use it as ammo in her fight too! Tell me what you think?

Hey FishBC.Org. I would strongly recommend printing this letter is numerous newspapers to showcase the antagonistic and threatening attitude of this individual. This is a completely unacceptable attitude for a supossedly unbiased public servant. I would also let Alexandra Morton see this letter as well - she can use it as ammo in her fight too! Tell me what you think?

Alexandra Morton has a copy already, as does a few MP's and other key officials, and even Don Staniford.
This is a fight we should all be fighting because the farms aim to shut us all up forever, and their backing is federal and corporate.
To shut down Down Staniford, is also to shut off democracy. To say an industry without naming a company in particular is harmful to our fish, and proven to be true with yesterday's Port Hardy ruling, is slander and libel, and have a finding of that, without a doubt proves that there is no longer any democratic rights in this country contrary to the Canadian Charter Of Rights.
If an industry as a whole can sue someone, then we're all in very big trouble if we try to save our fish.

This is a very scary time for the future of our wild salmon. I think we need far more voices because the truth is, our fish are sick. We all saw evidence of this in the past year.
ISAv has been found in BC waters by biologists and non partisan scientists.. The OFFICIAL scientists are doing all they can to deny it, to protect the federal trade dollars, and in the end... What will be left of our wild fish if they don't matter now?

This isn't just a Don Staniford fight. This is a fight for every person who's ever put a fishing rod in the water, and wants to see a future to be able to do that.
Appears the newspapers won't pick it up, just like they didn't pick up yesterday's findings, because from all indication the newspapers, and media are controlled by the Government who has the most to lose if they do that.

I would not focus on the statements of a low ranking bureaucrat within the ministry of ac on fisheries matters. The best you can achieve here is to get an official statement by the same ministry that his (Gary's) opinion expressed does not necessarily represent the official position of the ministry and that those matters are not the responsibilities of their organization anyway. The guy gets a warning from his boss to stay out of written debates about hot topics and that's it. While he does seem to represent a potential proponent of the status quo in terms of aquaculture, he is not the link in the chain to break into. If you convince him of otherwise, he will just get replaced. There have been way higher ranking positions that got abandoned within government over those very issues without throwing anough wakes for a change.

I would not focus on the statements of a low ranking bureaucrat within the ministry of ac on fisheries matters. The best you can achieve here is to get an official statement by the same ministry that his (Gary's) opinion expressed does not necessarily represent the official position of the ministry and that those matters are not the responsibilities of their organization anyway. The guy gets a warning from his boss to stay out of written debates about hot topics and that's it. While he does seem to represent a potential proponent of the status quo in terms of aquaculture, he is not the link in the chain to break into. If you convince him of otherwise, he will just get replaced. There have been way higher ranking positions that got abandoned within government over those very issues without throwing anough wakes for a change.

Gary Marty is not a low ranking person. He is "THE" official biologist for BC Agriculture / Fish health, and he's also one of the people in charge with the CFIA (Federal), when it comes to pushing farmed salmon through as a food source and he's doing everything in his power to claim that ISAv does not exist here so the trade dollars can continue to flow, and the farms can stay in the water. To see even a subtle threat like this gives indication of true intention, and what will be done in recourse of proving our fish are sick almost in punishment form. Alexandra Morton, and Dr Kristi Miller whom was a DFO scientist, and whom was silenced up until the Cohen Commission have proven without a doubt that ISAv is in our salmon, and they've also shared their testing, unlike Gary Marty, who won't even confirm what testing methods he's used to determine it's not in the fish.

This is big and scary.

I am going to ask Mr Mcrae for an official statement, but I suspect no reply to follow.
I think you're all going to find that this entire fiasco is about trade dollars, and not the health of our fish, and in the end, we'll see who's being paid to keep these pens in the waters.

This photo is of a farmed chinook salmon taken in the 80's from an Agriculture Tech who became so sickened at the farm's and how they operate, that he changed careers. Prior he was a Commercial Fisherman, and he just came out of the woodwork to give indication about how these farms really operate.

They had a nickname in the 80's for this condition on the farms. It was called "Volkswagons" ....
The fish basically had no way to remove retained water, and only survived in the safety of the pens, and would have perished in the oceans.
This happened to great numbers of the fish, and probably is still happening, mostly ending up in the dump.

From what I understand this is a farmed Triploid Chinook Salmon.

volks.jpg

Marine Harvest just announced closing ten farms and laying off 60 workers in BC due to low market pricing..., however

Just yesterday another person, who's friend works for MH (Not confirmed as the friend is scared to be laid off because the company laid off three people before him), has stated the following.

Well it is getting worse at FF sites. I was just told that the FF are downsizing and removing some farms. They gave an excuse that the prices are low, may be somewhat true. But now I am told that they are harvesting earlier because their fish have the kudoa parasite and it is getting worse at these sites.This is another reason they are getting rid of some sites We need to get these farms out because we now know that our sockeye have this parasite too, the fraser SK anyway. We will need to check if our fish here on the north island have it too. Things are falling apart at the FF, getting worse, GET THEM OUT NOW!!!!

and

Wish we could. Like Alex said we need to be out at the sites and monitor everything. This was told to me by an employee. He does not want his name or site used because of the down sizing I know of 3 FN who have been laid off already and he does not want to the the next. But yes we have to demand, not ask to be monitors at the sites to witness and take pictures of all the incidents that happen at these sites and are never reported, Gilakasla.

Leaving me to believe this kudoa parasite has infected all the farmed salmon, and they're doing an early cull and selling these fish to market infected, and as mushy flesh fish, rather than downsizing the way they say they are.

There's no one to trust anymore but ourselves with protecting our wild fish.

aquaculture.jpg

FishBC: Please post your (or the guide's you noted if available) original letter to Marty that preceded his initial reply. I would like to read that in order to grasp the context (or lack thereof) of his reply.

Thanks in advance,
Nog

FishBC: Please post your (or the guide's you noted if available) original letter to Marty that preceded his initial reply. I would like to read that in order to grasp the context (or lack thereof) of his reply.

Thanks in advance,
Nog

Nogs my original email to him directly was in a response to his article in the newspaper defending that there is no indication of ISAv in BC waters.

Gary you've made a very bold statement regarding ISAv in BC waters by saying it does not exist. I'm not sure that you're aware, but nearly everyone who is a sportsfisherman in BC has been following everything very clearly via the Cohen Comission, results of previous testing, and some of us are well aware of the federal cover up attempt, and how high this veil of lies goes, and for you to have made such a statement now brings up the question of who's pocket you are in sir?
I personally spend over 160+ days on the water catching 5 species of wild stock salmon. Want to know what I personally found this year in areas near farmed Atlantic salmon pens?. I found the majority of chum salmon riddled with parasites causing tumors and cysts inside their skin, I witnessed pink salmon with yellow flesh, and I have found tumors and cysts in Both feeder and returning stock Chinook Salmon this past year. I have not experienced this in years past. Are you actually willing to risk your neck and your political career by making such bold statements when you face an entire province worth of people banding together now to face the issues of Atlantic salmon farming, and the ISAv virus? I suspect you may be smarter than that. Why don't you take a look at Chile, and Norway and see what these farms did to wild salmon populations in these areas?. Are we to be forced to hire our own scientists to get the truth?, because many of us recreational, and sportsfishermen, belong to many different faces, and industries, everything from Doctors, and lawyers, to biologists, and some even under DFO's payroll. You wouldn't even want to know what some of the DFO's field people have to say in confidence. I am urging you as a human being who is clearly following what others are saying in the lead without obviously examining ALL facts, to publish a redactment, because British Columbia is not going to forget the current Govt, in BC, and it's doings come election time. It's becoming clearly obvious that DFO performed a coverup of ISAv in our waters, as to not bottleneck trade dollars for the federal and provincial govt's provided by the norweigan farms, and if you think people haven't figured out who the puppet master is, and what's really going on, I suspect our governments are in for an eye opening year, as a far larger number of people come out of the woodwork with their concerns. As Agricultural minister for BC, I request as a born, raised, and lifelong BC resident, and recreational fisherman, that you re-review everything you've been told and then go digging for all the information you need to know on your own. There's more to the story Gary. You simply have to have your eyes open.
To do so would garner my respect, and respect from others in this arena. There is far more at stake in BC than meets the eye. Tourism from sport fishing brings in a tremendous amount of revenue for the province, and likely far more than 3.00 a pound of farmed salmon. A typical tourist fisherman pays roughly 3000.00 for perhaps 40 LB's of Chinook salmon, plus the accomodations, as well as local support purchasing other things in the communities.

Which fish has more value? That one is easy.
If they want to farm salmon in BC then put them on land in closed containment. We are running out of patience. It's quite clear that this could become the scandal of the year in 2012.
Corporate dollars can't lie to the masses, and there's tens of thousands of us.

Regards.

I cannot claim to be nice, or that I wasn't accusatory in nature, and yet he has not denied any of the accusations other than to say ISAv is not in BC, and only responded with this.

Consider this scenario:

Sincerely,
Gary

He sent me the same generic response as he sent others writing letters to him as seen above ^
I supposed his words could be perceived one way or another depending on how one view's what I believe he's actually saying.

It is MY opinion that this is a direct warning about pursuing proof.

I am unable to locate the other person's initial letter right now as he's at the courthouse with Don Staniford today but I will ask him for a copy of it this evening.

To me, if Gary Marty will not provide their testing results, or even how they tested, yet Alexandra Morton, and Kristi Miller both provided theirs, then I would believe the evidence, over lack of it IMO.

Right now there's two ways this can go since DFO now has control of the farms, and not the province.

1. They will come down heavy with any fines, infractions , testing which is a good thing, and possible due to the court case / fine levied in Port Hardy yesterday, which to me would display that our fish ARE a concern. Also the fact that they have just provided funding for a land based containment test means they're serious about fixing the problem. (We can hope for this all) Right now no one knows what the real intentions are. Speculate and wait and hope for the best, but no matter how you look at it, something is making our fish sick.

2. Things can go south.

There are so many pseudo organizations involved in all of this that it's hard to determine who belongs to who.
I'm leaning personally on the belief IMO that Dr Alexandra Morton, and DFO Scientist Dr Kristi Miller have the least to gain of anyone financially by telling the truth.

Marty Gary has thoughtfully taken the time to reply to some of my concerns and questions via email, and I appreciate it, and will post something about this soon, once I have read, and deciphered, and examined evidence and citations. It is always fair to hear both sides of a situation in full context.

As sport fishermen for wild salmon, we obviously wish to retain ALL the information and be educated as clearly as possible how our wild salmon are doing, and in fairness it is probably good to hear all sides speak of any potential issues with our fish.

The fact that open dialogue exists is good.

Here's where stuff sits. Marty has taken time to explain to me what they are trying to accomplish in great detail. I will post exact emails so that there is no confusion.
He would ask that if any of us has any abnormal findings that we submit they for analysis so they can keep putting together a large picture and sort out what is going on.

Here is where we would submit the fish that appear sick, and there is a small cost, minor however at the potential long term cost if we don't help with submissions.
We're the front liners catching the wild fish. It's our duty in a way.

Here is where we'd take our fish and the cost.

Campbell River, I recommend that you contact Dr. Sonja Saksida at the Centre for Aquatic Health Sciences (http://www.cahs-bc.ca/) for assistance in tissue preservation and shipping. Your cost is the same as what we charge the fish farms: $30/fish for diagnostic histopathology.

So here goes with his emails to clarify what is happening.
I am no expert in scientific terminology. There's probably some here who are better at deciphering this than me.

Here are some thoughts on the questions in your e-mail:

Are you trying to say that ISAv cannot mutate and affect our wild salmon?

Nearly all viruses can mutate, and some of those mutations are more pathogenic than others, but I am not aware of any scientific research that demonstrates the number or type of mutations that would be required for ISAV (an Atlantic salmon disease) to kill Pacific salmon. If you are aware of such scientific research, please send me the citation.

More important than the basic potential for mutation is the risk that such a mutation of sufficient magnitude to affect wild salmon might actually occur. Based on 25 years of empirical evidence, I rate the risk negligible. Infectious salmon anaemia has been known as a disease of farmed Atlantic salmon in Norway since the mid-1980s, but despite ongoing outbreaks among the farmed salmon ISAV has never been associated with a die-off of wild Atlantic salmon. In 2011 farm salmon production in Norway for the first time exceeded 1 million tonnes (about 12 times BC farm salmon production), and ISAV does not seem to be significantly limiting their production under much greater concentration of fish than we have in BC. If under these conditions ISAV does not affect wild Atlantic salmon, the risk is significantly less to wild Pacific salmon.

To get an better understanding of the potential risk of ISAV to wild salmon, we can look even broader at a related virus, avian influenza virus. Whenever we sample wild ducks in Canada, it is quite common to find 10 - 20% PCR positive for avian influenza virus (see p. 14 of “CCWHC Annual Report 2010 - 2011 (EN)”at http://www.ccwhc.ca/annual_reports.php). Occasionally one of these strains gets into our farmed chicken population, mutates, and causes devastating losses for the industry (e.g., 2004 in the Fraser Valley). Because avian influenza has the potential to mutate and infect people, the CFIA response to specific strains of avian influenza in poultry is rapid and vigorous (i.e., kill all potentially exposed birds).

Despite avian influenza (the virus) being common in wild ducks, outbreaks of avian influenza (the disease) in wild birds are rare. Indeed, most PCR positive test results in wild bird surveys come from healthy birds. I asked our poultry extension veterinarian (Dr. Bill Cox) ,our avian pathologist (Dr. Vicki Bose), and our veterinary virologist (Dr. John Robinson) if they knew of any populations of wild birds that had gone extinct as a result of an avian influenza outbreak; they could not think of any cases. A probable reason for this is that wild birds are more widely dispersed than farmed birds, thereby decreasing the chances for disease transfer. The same can be said for wild salmon compared with farmed salmon.

Chickens are not native to BC (they are native to Asia), their farms displace habitat that once was used by other wildlife, and yet we do not call on poultry farmers to remove them from land (e.g., to rear them in sealed underwater marine pens where they will have no contact with surface freshwater ducks).

The relevance of all this to wild salmon is that even a mutated form of a virus is unlikely to affect wild salmon populations because wild salmon spend most of their lives dispersed more widely than farmed salmon. This makes transmission of any virus difficult. In contrast, a mutated virus is more likely to affect farmed salmon. We have more than 30 million farmed salmon in BC marine waters at any given time--all monitored daily by farm staff--yet we have no evidence of a massive disease outbreak since the IHNV outbreaks of 2002/2003. As with poultry, I am confident that the biosecurity measures used by farms to protect their fish against an outbreak of IHNV will also serve to protect farm fish and wild fish from spreading outbreaks of other diseases like ISAV.

What benefit besides purely financial there is to raising these fish in waters that are normally only inhabited by pacific salmon?

In many ways, BC is an ideal place for rearing Atlantic salmon on farms. Atlantic salmon are not able to compete with Pacific salmon populations. Therefore, fish that escape from farms are easily identified, they do not interbreed with wild Pacific salmon, and despite years of concerted stocking efforts by DFO in the 1900s, Atlantic salmon have not established populations in BC rivers. Also, none of our common domestic livestock are native to BC: cattle (Europe), sheep (Europe and Asia), pigs (Middle East), turkeys (NE U.S.A, and Mexico), or goats (Iran, Scandinavia). I do not see the risk of farm fish to wild fish any differently than the risk of terrestrial livestock to wild life: a negligible risk that can be reasonably managed.

Moving farm animals around the world is nothing new or unusual. We have protocols in place to minimize the risk of disease transfer with these movements, to the point that now the OIE considers the movement of animal goods as a significant risk: “People and goods now travel long distances in a very short time, thus creating enormous challenges that demand efficiency and speed of response on the part of both public health and veterinary authorities.” [see OIE, http://www.oie.int/current-issues/ “Notification of animal and human diseases: Global legal basis”]

My “thought question” for the day: If fish farms need to be removed because of the risk of ISAV, should we also prohibit people coming to BC from around the world, catching fish infected with ISAV, then traveling back home with those infected tissues?

[background: Dr. Kristi Miller reported to the Cohen Commission (Dec. 15, 2011 transcript, pages 35, 36, and 52) that she has found ISAV in most salmon populations that she has tested, including sockeye salmon dating back as far as 1986. In most groups she has tested 13 - 20% are positive for ISAV.]

Sincerely,

Gary

Animal Health Centre
Ministry of Agriculture
1767 Angus Campbell Rd.
Abbotsford, BC, V3G 2M3
604-556-3123

Next response from Mr Gary.

Thank you. You might not know that I have more scientific publications about the health of wild Pacific salmon than I do on farmed Atlantic salmon (my cv is Cohen Exhibit #1659). I have proposed a study plan that would help us understand the role of health and disease in Fraser River Sockeye salmon (Cohen public submission 818). And, I recently signed on as the histopathologist for the project with similar goals designed by David Welch; this study focuses specifically on the impact of salmon farms (Cohen Public submission #1127); Dr. Kristi Miller is a co-investigator on that proposal. Dr. Miller and I scrutinize each others’ work, as good scientists should, but in my view good scrutiny serves to improve our science. Dr. Miller’s research so far suggests the presence of an ISAV-like virus that is different enough from European strains of ISAV that we can be confident that it was not imported (with either farm fish since the 1980s or stocking attempts before that). However, Dr. Miller still has lots of work to do to confirm her findings.

I invite you to come to Abbotsford for visit sometime. The issues we are discussing are complex, and dialogue often benefits from face to face meetings.

Best regards,

Gary

Animal Health Centre
Ministry of Agriculture
1767 Angus Campbell Rd.
Abbotsford, BC, V3G 2M3
604-556-3123

Back