Baynes Sound

seascene

Crew Member
Just went throught Baynes Sound. The place is a helluva an eyesore, plugged with acqualculture and now more of it just at the edge of Henry Bay. Just wondering if Denman Islanders have orgainzed opposition to the transformation of their once beautiful sound into a wonderland of ocean industrialization?

Whats the problem-- the shellfish industry in Baynes Sound contributes hundreds of jobs and millions to the provincial economy . It is relatively benign to the environment. We have sport access to plentiful oysters, clams and sea asparagus, shrimp , prawns, . We can still fish on the beaches for cutties, salmon, etc except in the RCA area off Ships Point. Its all about sharing, and as long as the shellfish industry keeps its act clean ( which does need some work...) I see no problem with it.

It has nowhere near the damaging effects of salmon farms-- that where we need to concentrate our concern.

What sharing. It is an outright occupation that has transformed this once pristine channel into a near cesspool with floating weed matts and discoloured water everywhere. Doubtful of 100's of jobs. Baynes sound industry is greed grab that is killing this place for the few. Put that industry on land where it can't continually spread out like a plague to even more of Georgia Straight.

Let me guess-- you live on Denman Is and dont like your view messed up LOL!!!!

I was thinking the floating barge with the rotting nets at fanny bay and all the people living on it was the eyesore that bay is full of crap no aquaculture in there

Aw fer crissake...stick to the anti fish farm and coal watch campaigns gang. I'd say it is easily 100's of jobs when one considers both the direct and indirect employment associated with not only the harvesting of the crop but also the jobs involved in supplying the industry as well as distributing the catch. Baynes Sound seafood has worldwide distribution and apart from a bit of disruption to boaters through the Sound is a reasonably environmentally benign industry.
I also suspect, seascene, that the Baynes Sound seafood processors have been here a hell of a lot longer than you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. The s*** is starting to heat up on Denman. Its becoming a floating garbage pile.
I don't have anything against shellfish farmers except for their waste. Their jetsam is floating up on more than just Denman. It can be found all the way up Johnstone Str. And into QCS. It's a serious problem. I can't figure out how those guys can afford to loose so many cages.

Back