Bass Fly Fishing/Fuller and Shawnigan

K

KDC Nymph

I'm a seasoned trout fly angler,moved from the Cariboo to Southern Vancouver Island.I have picked up a few Small Mouth Bass on large buggers and Leeches but not consistently.Any technique info would be appreciated. I fish with flies only.
Thanks, KDC Nymph

I just moved here myself a couple months ago from the mainland and have been fishing Shawnigan quite often with the fly. I flyfish most of the time but I also spin cast when the fly doesnt work very well. I would take you out sometime if you like. I live about 20mins from Shawnigan.

The best flies I have found are articulated leeches, egg sucking leeches, big wooly buggers, streamers. For leeches black or olive seem to work the best. I noticed that in the morning and evening is the best time for fly fishing. Once the sun hits the water the fly slows down and I usually switch to plastics.

Living the dream

Thanks for the feedback and invitation. I will get back to you re a joint venture, currently we have a house full of company.
cheers, KDC Nypmh

I have had really good luck in the spring on a Brown Maribou Muddler Minnow. It looks exactly like the dragon fly nymphs that they've puked up. The fly is excellent on trout and I've also caught steelies on it too.

NOTE I don't flyfish for smallmouth yet.
This time of year topwater works well early morning or later evening, so a big surface fly would work well I bet.
During the day the bigger fish would be deeper so wouldn't a larger minnow streamer work well?
I have caught quite a few larger fish midday with spinners retrieved over weedbeds. They rise up to smack it as it rolls over their heads.

I have caught them mostly on dragon nymphs and stickleback pattens.Cast and retrieve near structure such as weeds,docks,overhanging trees etc.The bass prefer casts rather than trolling.constantly move to new structure,don't just sit in one spot.sometimes they are right against the shore under lillypads or tree roots.set the hook hard!

Fuller has them but the larger ones are few and far between. The better places to try are at the north end and then along the eastern side.
That's from my experience tho. I hear that the guys who fish from shore near the park have caught 'Giants'.

Back