Bare Boat Fishing Charter

I fully agree with LastChance.

I couple years ago we rented two boats from a very reputable and great company that I have noticed doesn't seem to be around anymore. They had very similar boats, too. They did a great job and I can't say enough good things about them, but I don't know how profitable it was. There was a few close calls that we had when we went out with their boats (floating logs all over the place), and we were in a hurry to meet a guy back at the dock to pick the boats up, it was not the most pleasant of situations to be in.

There is so much wear and tear and things that go wrong even for experienced boaters. If you hit a rock or log with the prop there is a good chance that you won't even notice anything is wrong until 5 outings down the road when the gears in the gear case say "see ya later" and turn into liquid metal. Who is liable when there is no externally visible damage? (that happened to me before!)

I was at the boat ramp with my buddy a few months ago and I forgot the keys and we were going to just troll out in front of the launch for winter springs with my kicker (just to get out on the water for a bit) and the impeller decided to grind itself up into a million little pieces while we were still at the dock and it wouldn't **** water anymore. So we decided to call 'er a day and go home. I looked at my buddy with the biggest grin on my face and said "F*** man, that was a pretty good day of fishin'!"

I was just glad that the impeller hadn't cut out on a long fishing trip!

Anyways, I hope you can find a way to make it work!

Good luck out there!

-Dan

P.S. My buddy is looking to buy a boat similar to yours and would pay you some cash just to take it out for a quick rip (with owner on board of course...haha!)

I think you can expect campbell river to be quite busy this year with the dollar the way it is. If you had the advertising out there I'm sure you could get the boat rented out fairly often. I just don't know if it would be worth having people rat bag your boat. Campbell is also not the easiest place to fish because of the fast currents and depth you are fishing so I would expect lots of lost gear. I think if I were you I would give it a go for a month or 2 and decide from there . I would rather have a cheaper boat that was used exclusively by me than have an expensive one that was being rented out .

All very good points. An experiment it is for sure. Keep in mind it is for the guys with experience to use. Once on the water, nothing, no matter how hard I tried to make it is idiot proof.

My thoughts were.... I remember the days when we lived and worked on the water but couldn't afford to have my own boat. Moved away to work and the cost to pull my boat over here for once a year was enormous. Boats in the prairies for the most part are not rigged properly for the coast either. Surprisingly a lot of guys in Northern BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan are owners of nice boats and are capable operators.
Now we have moved back and thought we could fill a need and help cover costs. We all know this is not a cheap habit no matter if it's a 16' tinny or 60' yacht.

I use to have this saying, "there is only two things you don't lend out - your chainsaw and your wife"

I may have to revise this saying. The thought of renting my boat never even crossed my mind.

I guarantee if you talk to an experienced Marine Insurance provider, you wouldn't rent your boat out either. Just because the website says they have insurance does mean anything in court.

If you want a bunch of clowns trashing your "30 year dream" fill your boots. Just hope no one has a serious accident and you loose everything.

Get a paper route or sell your boat and buy that 16 ft tinny.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the key to the whole deal. First time in Canada an insurance company would cover a boat owner controlling who the boat is rented to and my personal insurance covers it when it's not rented. 30% may seem high but that's why. I suppose if I am reckless with who I allow to charter it the company Boatwyze with whom I charter the boat through will not allow me to do business with them. The other thing is the deposit on the boat would look after minor losses. Now if I try and ding the renter for $25 for every &10 lure he/she looses I won't win either. It will require a mutual respect to work.

What do guides pay for insurance I wonder? It can't be cheap.

In the right situation I would rent my old boat, my rods, and flashers. My spoons, plugs, hootchies, and bait holders are the product of years of buying, googling, collecting, polishing, re-painting, and tweaking. I tie gear to get through the winter even though I have tied enough. I know where I got each (500+?) and generally which has caught a fish or more. I don't think I could stand people touching my babies.
Good luck with your venture; I looked for similar arrangements before I got my boat. I think it can work if you can keep them out of Seymour Narrows mid-tide.

I use to have this saying, "there is only two things you don't lend out - your chainsaw and your wife"

I may have to revise this saying. The thought of renting my boat never even crossed my mind.

I guarantee if you talk to an experienced Marine Insurance provider, you wouldn't rent your boat out either. Just because the website says they have insurance does mean anything in court.

If you want a bunch of clowns trashing your "30 year dream" fill your boots. Just hope no one has a serious accident and you loose everything.

Get a paper route or sell your boat and buy that 16 ft tinny.

Appreciate the concern but albeit a boat it is still a man made machine and a potential asset instead of a liability.

Didn't intend to come across like I was trying to hang on to it. I can afford to keep it without it leaving the dock.

Shoot, if it works I can buy more. I like boats and all the characters they attract. It's the only way to justify buying bigger or better. Make a business out of it.

The only thing I really have to loose is regret so I'll try it anyway.

Thats a beauty boat , should be people lined up to rent it , hope it works out for ya bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I didn't realize you were going to put your own boat into the rental pool. I would never consider doing that. I've seen what happens to rental type boats. They get run hard and abused.

Yah I am not sure you will like your boat going out in the end. By the sounds of it this is your baby and a dream come true. You start letting people take your boat out and I just about garuntee you it will turn into a nightmare. And your gear,, well kiss it goodbye.

Not a chance in hell anyone would be taking my boat out. Any money you make off of this will be sucked up in repairs and replacement of equipment.

But good luck to you.

Yah I am not sure you will like your boat going out in the end. By the sounds of it this is your baby and a dream come true. You start letting people take your boat out and I just about garuntee you it will turn into a nightmare. And your gear,, well kiss it goodbye.

Not a chance in hell anyone would be taking my boat out. Any money you make off of this will be sucked up in repairs and replacement of equipment.

But good luck to you.
Yeah I have to agree. I have enough difficulty with my friends using my gear, let alone handing it off to strangers. I think it would be difficult to determine who is an experienced boater and who has just enough knowledge to be dangerous......

Back