Bare Boat Fishing Charter

halutt

"Halutt" a 21' Thunderjet Chinook fully equipped Sport Fishing Boat is now permanently moored in Campbell River BC. Visit boatwyze.com to learn more about this new program allowing us boat owners to rent our boats out without loosing any control.
e80a9132aa683ec68bf4acee0de93163.jpg

$550 for a fully decked out boat with all fishing gear including downriggers, rods, tackle, crab and prawn traps, net, harpoon...interesting. I haven't figured out what it costs me per trip after paying for all gear, insurance, and boat depreciation but this doesn't seem like to bad of a deal for someone who only fishes a few times a summer. But the extra it would cost to hire a guide might pay off in extra fish and a more relaxing experience. It'll be interesting to see if this catches on.

Lucky boat rentals tried that in Sooke;didn't really fly...mind you the boat my "buddy" rented was under powered and poorly maintained...

Cool idea, i would consider it because the cost of bringing the boat to the island is insane it would pay for that rental for me. I will definitely keep this in mind....maybe ill give you guys a review if i can fit in another trip this year.

Mike

550 a day unguided plus cost of fuel seems to be expensive to me anyways compared to a guided trip but mind you last time i went on a guided trip was about 9 years ago and for me and another guy it was less than 550 a day. i didnt have to worry about fuel or bait or finding fishing spots.

I figure it cost me about $100 to take my own boat out on a trip by the time I figure gas for both truck and boat, bait, launching or moorage and insurance. That is in a trip where nothing goes wrong or is lost. That doesn't include the $140,000 I have tied up in assets between the boat, motors, gear, trailer and truck to pull it. So if 3-4 guys can split $550, put $140,000 into something that goes up in value, be able to walk away from the money pit each trip and let someone else worry about repairs and maintenance....it's a deal!!!

Definitely some issues with that organization....no address other than a PO BOX in Downtown Vancouver.

A full day guided is about twice the price....no hassle, show up, and go.

The website operator is totally ripping off the owners by taking a 30% cut for doing nothing other than having a website and absorbing ZERO of the liability other than his commission.

LOTS of legalities with this too...the boat must NOT have the owner on board for it to be sold as a bareboat charter.

I appreciate the feed back. I've thought this through and if there is something I haven't thought of I'm hoping it gets brought up.

The charter company is new and speaking for my vessel I can assure its flawless. Halutt (my boat) has been a 30 yr wish come true so I want it to only be part of a first rate company.

My business has only PO box too. Home office.

Full day guided is twice as much, no hassle, safe, guaranteed fish, and the best way to learn an area.

30% is a lot I know. The problem they solve is the insurance,, pre-screening renters for me, handling credit card processing, and marketing. Lloyds of London liked there idea, took them on and I usually am a good judge of character.

I always reserve the right to be wrong though and will be happy to report it if I am.

Don't quite understand the emphasis on NOT on board. Do I get in some sort of trouble for showing someone how to operate the systems if they need or want? Of course I am not free and have no desire to be a guide.

I have looked for a good sea-worthy, comfortable boat to rent for ocean use. This type of unit I hope will fill a need.

Keep the feedback coming.

I looked into that option and purchasing another boat. It would be easy to do yourself, get a website and I would be happy to add your boat rental to our accommodation website for free, we get lots of requests for boat rentals. If you have a trailer your set, they can haul it from your place or you can charge for delivery to a certain location if you want. Contact an insurance broker and they will set you up with the policy you need. 30% is a tough one when your going to be the guy on the hook for repairs etc and repowering one day. The best thing to do is have a 2 or 3 day minimum for rental that way you will shave off some folks you may not want using your outfit due to the cost of the overall rental. Let me know if your interested in a site as I could put one together for you for much cheaper than anyone unless you can do it yourself.

I will read the rules again. I have been a member for a long time under the name windowlicker thought the new situation I put my boat in could have its own name like the other business folks do. I apologize and will re-do it once I figure out how

I will read the rules again. I have been a member for a long time under the name windowlicker thought the new situation I put my boat in could have its own name like the other business folks do. I apologize and will re-do it once I figure out how

Just sign up as an advertiser

when I grew up in Campbell river you could go down to the beach and rent a Tin boat right at the launch.. im not sure why that business failed but don't understand how this business would fly with a more well outfitted boat at 5 times the cost.. good luck with your venture but I think you might have better luck finding a guide to charter your boat out when you were not using it..

As am owner/operator, I wish you the best of luck. However, a full guided day can be had for a few dollars more. That being said, I can see a few guys not wanting to be guided, but I can think of two "self guided" outfits with hands on operators that didn't work as the price spread between guided and self guided was very slim. Liabilities I can see being a headache, but Pedder Bay seems to do just fine. You can get a day off Victoria for $600 if you look around (And some of "those" guys do get fish)

You have a really nice boat. Hopefully it stays that way. I know a pro who had his buddy running his rig while he tied gear. Guy saw a log, and stabbed it into reverse at 20MPH. Money grew wings, and Big Bill came by for a visit.

But if it works, you'll be looking smart with your boat paying you to use it. However, the success rate of bare rental fishing boats has been very poor, (Quigley, Luckey), but Pedder Bay seems to make it work. Very simple boats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back