Bamboo fly rod

R

River Hunter

Hi. I was biking thru Langford a couple weekends ago with a bud and we stopped a garage sale. This ol' woman was selling her late husbands fishing gear and my buddy bought a spinning rod. She threw in this old wooden rod I thought at the time and gave it all to him for $10 Bucks. He gave me the old wOoDeN one and I took a look at it and found it was an ol' split cane fly rod. I put a reel on it and tried a few casts. This rod cast like a dream !!!!!!. I took it to a river last weekend and caught a few nice 2+# cutties on it and now this rod is my favorite rod to use.
Wish I knew more about this rod and it's history. I'm guessing it's got a few good fish stories hidden within itself.
Probably gonna refinish it and re-tie the guides to make her all pretty again.
Anyone here know so'om 'bout ol bamboo rods? I'll post a picture when I can of the worn out decal thats on it,it's really hard to read but looks diffinately 'factory'. I'm jus using a LePage glue stick for now to keep the loose threads on the guides held down till I can re finish this rod.
Well, I keep holding this rod here in the kitchen sipping a beer and thought I'd put this out cause Ima pondering the history of it.
Can't wait to swing that Golden stone down my favorite runs with my new fave rod in my fave river this weekend!

You can find out pretty much any thing you want to know about bamboo rods on this forum: http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/

There is a specific section on the board for appraisals and identifying old cane rods.

If I might suggest-- before you get too active with the rod-- make sure you have the right weight line. Some of those old brittle rods have been known to snap with the weight of an oversized line.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

You can find out pretty much any thing you want to know about bamboo rods on this forum: http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/

There is a specific section on the board for appraisals and identifying old cane rods.

If I might suggest-- before you get too active with the rod-- make sure you have the right weight line. Some of those old brittle rods have been known to snap with the weight of an oversized line.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Mucho gracious Cuba ! Ima check it out.
Thx for the tip too. I've put this rod to the test with the sink tip line I got on it and it seems pretty limber so far. The test will be when I get a bigger fish on it.

Back