Baja Fish ****

spring fever

Nice morning trip in the 15ft Klamath-seemed slow but managed to get in front of some porpoise and picked up a nice 20lb Dorado on Squid and released it. Just about back to the beach and my wife's reel just screamed-she did an incredible job-lots of jumps many runs on a 9ft salmon rod-no mis-steps on her part and I even managed a decent gaff job. 25 minutes -you gotta love Dodo's on light tackle

Attachments

• DSC01298.jpg
    DSC01298.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 744
How is the dorado for sashimi sf?

Ps. You suck....

It is excellent, almost as good as white Bonita or yellow fin tuna! As for the suck part-yeah guess I can understand the sentiment-I never did like the snow and rain- heading home in a week or so and will have to pay for my winter leisure -lots of stuff to get ready before salmon season. Life is hard on us old folks!!! LOL

It is excellent, almost as good as white Bonita or yellow fin tuna! As for the suck part-yeah guess I can understand the sentiment-I never did like the snow and rain- heading home in a week or so and will have to pay for my winter leisure -lots of stuff to get ready before salmon season. Life is hard on us old folks!!! LOL

I hope too model my retirement along the lines of what you're doing! Good on yah.

Nice Dodo Mike.

Too bad you are going home, we still have another 3 weeks or so

Excellent work. I bet that was a real arm breaker.

Yep-it was pretty interesting-I made a custom set-up for Wendy which consists of a Penn 109 reel which is of course level wind (verboten down here) married to a 9'6'' salmon downrigger rod (light weight). Always nervous with level winds because the fear down here is they can't keep up with the speed of the fish and will jam. It's the only one I have and she was having trouble layering the line on the others. She has had lots of experience on large salmon with islanders and gt4000 shimano's but she loves this outfit. I use a gt 4000 and a 10'6" mouching rod with braid. Keeps me on my toes for salmon season. I also have a leather glove for palming the reel if I get a wahoo or a big Dodo. Incredible how fast that line peels off. See you soon Michael keep those lights flashing!!!LOL

I caught one that size on a charter out of Mazatlan on my honeymoon in '87. Super strong fish for sure, reel's a smok'n - get'em to the top then right back down at 250 mph - lots of fun, - good work!!

Hey Mike & Wendy NICE FISH!!! Damn missed another Baja pallapa Party.. When will you be back on Island. Get those prawn trap out first. Prawning is over the top Good now But the commercial fleet hits on the 1st week of May. See you soon. John & Cathy

Back