Auto PFDs

Alex_c

I should probably get a PFD I’ll actually wear, especially winter fishing in a small boat where taking a dunk in 4°C water will probably be unpleasant, especially if my muscles cramp up and I can’t swim.

Anyone have any experience with this model?

Or can recommend anything in the ~$200 price range?

Have you considered a good foam jacket? After personally seeing two of the inflatables not work, I went away from them to a good old foam filled jacket built for the commi fleet. Pnt has or had these low profile jackets that are comfortable, look like a black vest, don't effect your movements, and most importantly are guaranteed to float you when you need it. I've had one for years chartering and it hasn't even grown mouldy.
I had a mustang cartridge jacket I wore for a couple years on and off. Out of curiosity I pulled the manual inflate when I swapped it out for the foam filled pnt unit and sure as **** it actually inflated, then deflated over the next minute as there was a pin whole in there somewhere. The one I had prior to that I caught the manual pull tab on something and it went off. Woops.
I'm not smart enough to wear floatation all the time but when I do, I want to know it'll actually work.

Have you considered a good foam jacket? After personally seeing two of the inflatables not work, I went away from them to a good old foam filled jacket built for the commi fleet. Pnt has or had these low profile jackets that are comfortable, look like a black vest, don't effect your movements, and most importantly are guaranteed to float you when you need it. I've had one for years chartering and it hasn't even grown mouldy.
I had a mustang cartridge jacket I wore for a couple years on and off. Out of curiosity I pulled the manual inflate when I swapped it out for the foam filled pnt unit and sure as **** it actually inflated, then deflated over the next minute as there was a pin whole in there somewhere. The one I had prior to that I caught the manual pull tab on something and it went off. Woops.
I'm not smart enough to wear floatation all the time but when I do, I want to know it'll actually work.
Is that black one the dual flotation model? Foam filled plus additional flotation by using the pull tab. That is one I see paddlers using, as your full arm motion is not inhibited, makes sense for fishing or guiding as well. They are also easier to get back into a boat if you go over, as your upper chest and arms are free to move.

Screenshot 2024-01-01 202853.png

Their best PFD is one you will wear. I have four Havasu self-inflating PFDs that I got at Costco for about $100 each. They usually hit the warehouse in the spring. They are comfortable, light, don't scratch when wearing a t-shirt, and don't feel clammy when it is hot out. I know they work because my brother-in-law dropped one off the dock and it inflated in a couple of seconds despite scooping it out right away before it got soaked (re-charge kits are about $40 each!). I think they are about the same quality as the Cabela's ones, which periodically go on sale for about the same price. Mustang makes nice ones but they are more expensive.

I have bulky foam ones and I only wear them if I’m white knuckling my dumb butt out of a situation I probably should have avoided to begin with. I’d like to find one that I’ll actually wear. If a foam one fits the bill I’ll go that route. The auto ones just seem like the least bulky option

I have bulky foam ones and I only wear them if I’m white knuckling my dumb butt out of a situation I probably should have avoided to begin with. I’d like to find one that I’ll actually wear. If a foam one fits the bill I’ll go that route. The auto ones just seem like the least bulky option
The one I have I don't find bulky at all but that's subjective. It just feels like I have a vest on. I'm away from that boat otherwise I'd snap a pick of it. I hope they still make them!

@Aquaholic
It's not a duel fuel, nor a mustang. I'll look when I'm on the coast.

I try and wear my mustang inflatable whenever I'm solo. I don't always make it the priority it should be though. I don't find it overly comfortable, and perhaps that's why I hesitate. It rides the back of my neck worse than my wife does.

Last edited:
I’ve always been told that if you have inflatable life jackets on board, you have to wear them. I wear them on my boat most of the time. I also have four foam life jackets that I’d hope to grab onto in an emergency.

I got the mustang manual inflatables because the guy told me the auto ones could inflate in rain. You just gotta pull the cord before you knock yourself out lol. But it’s comfortable after a day of fishing

I’ve always been told that if you have inflatable life jackets on board, you have to wear them. I wear them on my boat most of the time. I also have four foam life jackets that I’d hope to grab onto in an emergency.

I got the mustang manual inflatables because the guy told me the auto ones could inflate in rain. You just gotta pull the cord before you knock yourself out lol. But it’s comfortable after a day of fishing
Yeah, I don’t trust jackass #4027 in the $500k boat set to auto pilot while he’s getting his bright work polished by this week’s girlfriend to not plow into my small boat while I’m fishing to trust a manual inflatable. Have had enough close calls as it is. Would definitely need to account for going for a sleepy dip in my drowning mitigation strategy.

I try and wear my mustang inflatable whenever I'm solo. I don't always make it the priority it should be though. I don't find it overly comfortable though, and perhaps that's why I hesitate. It rides the back of my neck worse than my wife does.
I’ve got a floater jacket that I can wear in the winter but it’s pretty swampy if I start moving around any. Not an option in the summer. Ideally there’s something out there that is comfortable to wear in all weather

Was told the same by a DFO/RCMP combo when they stopped me one trip. If that's all you have on board, they must be worn to be counted. Fortunately I had the other style as well and was told that they should be easily accessible which of course makes sense.
I thought that was only in a commercial operation

It's important to inspect and test inflatable PFD's. At minimum when it's time to replace a cartridge, inflate and let sit for 24hrs. They shouldn't lose any pressure over that time. You can use the blow in inflator to inflate them for leak testing without triggering the cartridge as well.

I've had to throw one out for pin holes on a seam and one leak on the seal at the cartridge attaching point.

I've known some industrial marine companies that test and replace cartridges annually on their inflatables. They did a lot of offshore oil and gas stuff so would have been working to a pretty strict standards.

I should probably get a PFD I’ll actually wear, especially winter fishing in a small boat where taking a dunk in 4°C water will probably be unpleasant, especially if my muscles cramp up and I can’t swim.

Anyone have any experience with this model?

Or can recommend anything in the ~$200 price range?
One thing to consider, is the type of inflation system used. Some of the less expensive units use a small disk or pill that expands when in contact with water. I’ve read that if they get soaked, like in a west coast storm. Or if they’re stored wet. They can prematurely go off. The more expensive Mustangs, use a hydrostatic inflator. Which must be submerged. So I’ve only bought these, especially since a family member worked at Mustang( up until last year). But also because I fear of being on a wet and rainy trip and having my life jacket out of service. Can’t say I’ve seen a less expensive jacket self inflate. Just what I read online.

Automatic ones for me all the way. I check the cylinders every spring and replace them as soon as there's sign of corrosoion or when the expiry date is close. Have tested the "expired" ones in the lake and they've all inflated on first touch. I trust the auto-inflatables that I can comfortably wear 100% of the time than the bulky ones that sit in a box in my cuddy. And for the manual ones, I think they're pretty useless, esp. in the winter. That first gasp when your body hits the cold water could be the last one.

Those Cabelas vests are OK too. Most of the 3rd party brands still use a Mustang cartridge. When arming them, make sure that they're not defected. I had one with a faulty cartridge that wouldn't pop in and had to return it.

Is that black one the dual flotation model? Foam filled plus additional flotation by using the pull tab. That is one I see paddlers using, as your full arm motion is not inhibited, makes sense for fishing or guiding as well. They are also easier to get back into a boat if you go over, as your upper chest and arms are free to move.

View attachment 101362
Just picked one on sale for $209

Back