At least 7 grizzly bears spotted near Sayward

My girlfriend helped stitch up the guy in your article. Unlucky situation spooking a bear in close quarters while scaling trees. He didn’t have time to pull out anything.

Last edited:
Just be careful when firing the bear banger not to shoot past the bear, and also they do cause forest fires if shot towards the ground.

Ya doesn't hurt to go out somewhere where there are few people and shooting off 1 or 2 1st to see the range and arch of the trajectory so that you aren't surprised as to what to expect when you shoot one off - where to aim and at what angle. Wind has quite an effect, as well.

Been my experience, BU - if there are cubs - you see them 1st thing in the spring (Aprilish) in the estuaries w mom before the males get there. They must make a beeline strait down to the estuaries from their denning sites up high. Maybe they even choose denning sites in the fall to be close to that resource in the spring - who knows? - but I wouldn't be surprised. They seem to like feeding on the sedges w triangular stems and the roots of the plant I think is called water hemlock.

Then the males arrive & drive Mom & the cubs to either more remote (e.g. upslope meadows), or more human areas. Often there are 2-3 cubs to start w in the spring - and 1 or 2 will disappear before the late summer kicks in - for whatever reason (eaten by a male? drowned? starved?). If there aren't too many aggressive males and lots of fish - Mom & remaining now grown-larger cubs will tentatively try the rivers for fish - more often in subprime areas where no large male has staked a territory and back out at the 1st sign of aggressiveness from any large males. If there are adequate fish - I bet there's less trouble and less worry about competition.

Interesting that you also mention the fish species context. When you add the area/watershed to that conversation - I feel the patterns emerge. Typically - the pattern most noticed and the conversation that evolves is about black bears and chum & pinks. Common on most of the North and Central coasts, for example on the lowland areas. BUT.. where the interior mountain chains meet the tidal waters - the grizzly/sockeye pattern is common on the larger rivers & lakes (e.g. Oweekeno) that have sockeye in the tribs - and in the fall - Chinook. Harder for bears to get the Chinook while spawning - but they clean up the spawned-out carcasses often daily. Chum there is sporadic and pinks almost nonexistent in these systems. Coho are way too secretive and way too late for bears to get them before the roll into the hay for the winters sleep - and by that time the rivers are normally in flood time anyways.

Here's an interesting video from Port McNeil - following along w the reason this thread started: https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1970067

Last edited:
Years ago I was told by a guy who worked in bear territory, pretty much his whole life, that the only thing he really trusted was a 12 gauge loaded with slug,SSG, slug. He was a firm believer in the short bear gun. Since I’ve heard many arguments about time to shoot/availability at short notice, so my theory is Bear spray, Bear Bangers and a good Bear gun lol. Oh and a porter to carry all my stuff!

.... No screwing around.

Yep:

uBQ68YD.jpeg

Nog

Tahltan president explains why his nation is paying members to hunt bears and wolves in northwest B.C.
https://thenarwhal.ca/tahltan-bc-bears-wolves-wildlife-management/

Although I applaud their predator management actions, they do carry a heavy reverse racism policy towards all other hunters. They have several times decreed that those not of their tribe are not welcome in a vast area they define as "traditional", going so far as to implement illegal roadblocks.

Nog

Back