Arima-May have found a boat

It was the one thhat was custom bulit for Coast gaurd I believe and had a 200 opti on it but boss changed it to the 4 stroke. will have a pic of it when I start guiding up there.

So the arimas a no go looked at a 16 and 17 and it wasnt quite what we wanted. All things look good to a 17.5 ft malibu tyee were going to look at next weekend though.Also gonna check out a 17.5ft double eagle tommorow both powered by 90 4strks. Hopefully one of them will be the right boat both are well built,priced and powered fingers crossed.

For what it's worth I have a 17.5' Malibu Tyee and for the size of boat I am happy the way it handles rough water. My previous boat was a 1983 17' K&C and I had a couple of waves come over the bow - sure glad I didn't have an open bow. I have been in rougher water with the 17.5' Malibu, but I have never had any water come over the bow. Keep looking. Good luck.

What power do you have on it? Does the 90 seem sufficient? Overall are you happy with the boat? I heard good things about it. Apparently double eagle sold the tyee model to malibu so its basically a double eagle but i was also told that malibu had superior fiberglass job. Opinions are opinions though

Kelly, if I may ask, why did the Arima fall out of favour?
No knock against the Tyee or DE, both of which I think are premier examples of what a west coast fishing boat should be.

Great boats i still really like them but in general not enough room on the 17s and the 19s were a bit to expensive. Aside from a rough ride i heard nothing but good things. Personally i would still want that 16 foot with the suzukis but it only has two seats and not much room. Parents went down to washington and looked at a few and werent happy with the setup(not fisherman though want it more cruising). I looked at one on the lot at parker marine yesterday i still like the setup and deep cockpit. Great fishing boat.

hey kelly,
i have a 18.5 campion explorer with 4 stoke motors and is setup for fishing. would you be intereste in it at all?
thanks shandor

quote:What power do you have on it? Does the 90 seem sufficient? Overall are you happy with the boat? I heard good things about it. Apparently double eagle sold the tyee model to malibu so its basically a double eagle but i was also told that malibu had superior fiberglass job.
Kelly,
I have an 115hp Merc on it and with 35 gal of gas (300 lbs), 8 HT Yam (90 lbs) and normally 2 guys (360 lbs), extra oil, 4 cannon balls, 2 downriggers and other stuff etc., there is no problem getting the boat on plane. I know a couple of times there were 3 of us on the boat and one of the guys must was pushing 250 lbs and I very definitely noticed the extra weight when I tried to get the boat on plane.
I don't know whether the 90 would be sufficient.
Yes, the Tyee and the Double Eagle appear to me to be the same hull design.
I am very happy with my Tyee and I also like the fact that the built in fuel tank is accessible without having to cut the floor.

Looked at a 17.5ft double eagle with some 4 strks it was an awsome boat just the style were looking for. Showed some age though as it was a 1994 so still looking. Explorer no problem just send them when you can.Hmmmm Alk bit of a concern that the 90s not enough but the boats only 1500lbs so on paper it seems ok.Were going to test it out so well see how it fares. He said he could get it to 40mph+ with a few people and gear.Im not to worried on speed but dont want underpowered.

kelly,
The 1500 lbs is just the hull. With the boat loaded it is somewhere between 2600 to 2800 lbs.(90 hp motor 300#,fuel 300#,kicker 90#,2 guys 360#,3 canballs 40#,other gear etc.) I am with you on the speed, all you do is burn a lot of fuel. Depending on the water conditions I usually run my boat between 23-29mph. As soon as the boat is planing I trim the motor up and the boat will pick up approx 2-3mph in speed.

kelly,
The 1500 lbs is just the hull. With the boat loaded it is somewhere between 2600 to 2800 lbs.(90 hp motor 300#,fuel 300#,kicker 90#,2 guys 360#,3 canballs 40#,other gear etc.) I am with you on the speed, all you do is burn a lot of fuel. Depending on the water conditions I usually run my boat between 23-29mph. As soon as the boat is planing I trim the motor up and the boat will pick up approx 2-3mph in speed.

hey guys ... i bought a new campion 542 in oregon.... 27,700k
i would have bought the washington 542 for 24,000k but i was not comfortable with the liens and such.. tmit22

hey guys ... i bought a new campion 542 in oregon.... 27,700k
i would have bought the washington 542 for 24,000k but i was not comfortable with the liens and such.. tmit22

Good job Tmit! For the budget you were talking about, why buy a 3-5 year old boat up here when you can get the same one new down south for cheaper?

It's seems crazy for a boat made in Canada to sell for 30% cheaper just across the border. We used to be told the difference was exchange rates, but with that at par, where's the price difference coming from now?

It's interesting to look at new car ads, prices seem to be really coming down. I saw a Hyundai Accent advertised at $9,999...not saying I want one of these, but that's pretty cheap. I'm guessing same thing will start happening in boats, but it will take a while to trickle into the used boat market I reckon.

Good job Tmit! For the budget you were talking about, why buy a 3-5 year old boat up here when you can get the same one new down south for cheaper?

It's seems crazy for a boat made in Canada to sell for 30% cheaper just across the border. We used to be told the difference was exchange rates, but with that at par, where's the price difference coming from now?

It's interesting to look at new car ads, prices seem to be really coming down. I saw a Hyundai Accent advertised at $9,999...not saying I want one of these, but that's pretty cheap. I'm guessing same thing will start happening in boats, but it will take a while to trickle into the used boat market I reckon.

Back