Area 19/20 SFAB meeting - Victoria/Sooke - Sheraton 7:30 this Wednesday (16th)

Deewar25

I don't recall seeing this posting, so figured I better just remind the south island gang for those that weren't aware. Please try to make it if you can.

This is a reminder about the upcoming Victoria and Area Sport Fishing Advisory Board Meeting this Wednesday night 16th November at 7:30 PM. Please pass an invitation along to all your fishing buddies to come out and join us. A brief descriptioin of the agenda topics are included below:

What: Fall Post-Season Victoria and Area Local SFAB Committee Meeting
When: Wednesday, 16[SUP]th[/SUP] November 2011 at 7:30 PM
Where: Four Points Sheraton Victoria Gateway Hotel
West Shore Ballroom, 829 McCallum Road, Victoria
(Behind Costco – parking is free)

Agenda Topics:
Preliminary Review of 2011 local catch data
Update on 2012 Early Fraser Chinook Salmon Regulations
2011 Halibut season review and 2012 outlook
Update on Crab reform
Salmon Net Penning

we got a sneak preview at the seminar on the weekend...sounds like we are jumping in bed with someone that has traditionally not been on sports fishery side in hopes to come up with a better workable halibut solution, and also, the south island whale issue is definitely a serious issue when it comes to our future salmon opportunities. The good news is that the halibut quota purchase solution DFO came up with was a total joke that amounted to like only 1500 lbs of halibut bought coastwide (I wrote the number down so that's just based on my awful memory, but it was something that definitely proved the idea was just another failed DFO embarrassment).

Well I bet if doesn't help that it is scheduled on a night where the Canucks play Blackhawks. Oh well, I guess I can miss the game. I never really new much regarding these meetings but after listening to Chris Bos speak at the salmon seminar, I found it very important and informative.

Hello Chris73. Do you know if there will be any discussion at this meeting about the impact of local Orca dietary requirements on area fishing regs?

If not, do you know if and when the SFAB will address it? Thanks.

This has the potential to have a very negative impact on access to salmon for sportfishing IMO.

hey WITW, pretty sure that will be discussed as C.B. pointed out its a serious issue that is front and center right now (and even if its not, a brief question will certainly put it in the spotlight)...sounds like there will be a few DFO runner boys at the meeting, so let em have it

Well you know its just another excuse to shut down area 19/20 as the reasons before were complete BS cause you know ALL the salmon pass thru this area !!!!! they dont swim past the east or west side of the island they fly over and only land in area 19/20.

You can raise all the concerns you want but we will never win !!! reason why!!! you got some ding dong in ottawa who THINKS hes knows whats best and local booooooligists who dissapear when confronted about the real issues. From there numbers we "apperantly" take 1.2% of the early run and the NATIVES take 18.9% do you think they will ever have the balls to go to the "other" user group and say sorry we have to shut you down!!!!!!!!!!I hardly doubt it its a very slippery slope one that keeps sliding us backwards....

Wolf

Yes but DFO senior bureaucrats will say that there is not enough definitive data to say with much certainty that a net fished well up the Fraser River is in fact catching fish bound for the Fraser River.

If the SFAB avenue does not bare fruit for us rec-fishermen this season, I will move to have it abolished and form or join an organization with some teeth that will get results.

To date, IMHO, the SFAB has been a useless distraction-tool used by DFO to lull us into thinking we actually matter.

Hope to see lots of you at the meeting regardless.

I think the SFAB has done its job, where we have failed as a group is in the organized lobby effort that uses public opinion to reinforce our views. If the lobby effort was there then the SFAB process would bear more fruit.

I've said it before, DFO want sport fishermen off the water period.
We are simply an annoyance to them, and by increasing restrictions they will
slowly shrink our numbers and shut us down.
We need to elect a gov't who will review the functionality of DFO.
The way it operates now does not serve either the people or the marine life of this country

I regret I didn't see this thread untiil this am and I did not know about the meeting.
T2

Agreed, really lousy turnout. More fuel for DFO to figure we just don't care about it that much and they'll continue to keep us at the bottom of the totem pole. Only 2-local guides showed.

On a positive note, it sounds like the Cowichan Chinook is mounting a comeback thanks to the hard work of all and a few bucks from the DFO. I think the continued increase in spawners over the next 3 or 4 yrs will confirm it.

I'm sure a few guides were in fact out of town on hunting trips. The others who chose not to attend are telling me that they are in this purely for their pockets. They only show up at these meetings when a new issue might keep them from fishing. Very disappointing. There are 2 meetings each year one in the fall and one in the spring. That is minimal time to give up if only to show DFO we care and will always care.

It totally confirms my opinion that fish and fisheries are really not a major concern for BC'ers. I feel bad for the few dedicated individuals working their butts off battling with DFO to save a few fish or keep our fishing opportunities open as much as possible for a vast majority that doesn't give a rats butt but that likes to take it for granted that others do the dirty work for them. Don't bother complaining and whining on here anymore - it will make you only look ridiculous. Unless you start taking on your minimum responsibility by showing up and supporting the few hard working individuals at least with your physical presence at 2 meetings a year, you have NO right to complain!

It totally confirms my opinion that fish and fisheries are really not a major concern for BC'ers. I feel bad for the few dedicated individuals working their butts off battling with DFO to save a few fish or keep our fishing opportunities open as much as possible for a vast majority that doesn't give a rats butt but that likes to take it for granted that others do the dirty work for them. Don't bother complaining and whining on here anymore - it will make you only look ridiculous. Unless you start taking on your minimum responsibility by showing up and supporting the few hard working individuals at least with your physical presence at 2 meetings a year, you have NO right to complain!

Chris..............this is common everywhere. Our area SFAB meetings attendances are an embarrassment. We are lucky to get 6 or 7 attendees to our meetings for the Tofino/Ucluelet area. There are like 60 guides working out of our 2 ports and hardly any show up and when they do it's always the same guys. All the others only show up if there is a chance their chance to make some money will be impacted - they couldn't give a **** about the fish themselves or the resource. It's because of this i don't go anymore, after being heavily involved for over 20 yrs - F it!! I'm retiring soon so those that think they can just follow along can worry about it now.

RANT OVER!!

I said this in Comox on Wed and I'll say it here for Victoria too...

Thanks to the guys that came out last night, lots of good discussion with the guys who showed up. I can't enforce to you guys enough that the more people that come to these meetings the more attention they get, both in the government and in the public eye. Its that simple. If you want your fisheries to be recognized for their importance in your communities and in your lives...show up and get involved. If you want people in your community and in the government to believe in the importance of rec fisheries, show them how important they are. What kind of impression do you think senior DFO officials take away from a sector meeting (in our biggest island community) where they continue to see declining attendance and declining interest???

A big part of it's education, on both sides right. You guys come and hear from DFO reps about issues you may not have understood or or had much information on, there are good discussions, DFO staff get an opportunity to learn and hear whats important on a local level and can take back your comments and feed them up the chain. The SFAC does the same thing with forwarding comments and motions into the SFAB process through minutes from the meeting and motions put forward from each of the areas. Thats how change happens in the rec fishery, and if you don't show up than your piece isn't heard and you are outside looking in. These meetings are open to the public, its as simple as that, and if you don't want to participate, you can't complain about the results.

If these meetings were better attended, they register on peoples radar...communities, media, government, etc...they get more attention, and thats only a good thing for rec fisheries trying to find the right direction in a world of allocation battles, proper recogniton, continued questioning about our fisheries not being responsible or respectful of the resource, and wanting industry and government to take you seriously. If you want to be part of the solution, then step up and help, otherwise you're just coasting on the work of others.

Ya Ya I know, not everybody can make them all the time, but seriously with the amount of "chatter" that goes on in this forum you would think that we could get bigger numbers out for a place like Victoria. I booked a boardroom for this meeting because of the anticipated crowds and we could have done this in the pub...and watch the canucks get spanked.

If you guys want rec fisheries to be as important as they should be help create the movement and momentum that they need.

It was my first meeting. I thought the whole row of guys in front of me would have been guides. That is exactly why i thought they would be there 'for there pockets' if not for the love of fishing. What are the rules for commies. Mabey something is changing and they now will be lumped in with them and there rules? Very werid. Im not sure why the low attendance but the 3 other fishing boards didnt mention the meeting, one has the Nanaimo meeting posted back in Oct. And lots of people still dont use the internet. Mabey we should posting posters down on at the ramps. I would volunteer to put them up south island.

I think I heard for more of a lobbying action we should look to our local clubs. I think that we do need a 'umbrella group' asap. So many people are so passionate about fishing I imagine it is hard to keep a level voice when the time comes to talk to media or politions. Chris you are great speaker! Profisher you sure know your **** too. What can we do? Just showing up to a meeting dosnt really seem to be enough. I think some sort of 'enhancement project' which profisher you are already doing (not even including the charters project) and some of it as a nameless person handing your work into the dfo and not even getting results back. Something the SFAB can put there name on saying we set up out our own test net or whatever the like that albion has, we paid for testing that shows this, or arrg I dunno. Just seems the goverment is paying dfo a **** load to money to 'observe' 'monitor' 'survey'. Which is only done to make sure we have enough farmed salmon to sell to the rest to the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back