Aquaculture; improving????

and here's another graph from a population that had tested positive for ISAv and PRv (that may have been a factor amongst other impacts):
wannock.jpg
Co-incidentally - as well as sockeye - Eulachon have also been depressed in River's Inlet and most of the Central Coast for some years and ISA from FFs has become entrenched in Southern NB and IBoF Atlantic salmon have been placed on the SARA list.

https://www.courts.wa.gov/opinions/pdf/992631.pdf
The record shows WDFW considered the 2017 Morton article in detail and compared its findings to those of several other recent studies. AR at 4518-19. WDFW summarized the 2017 Morton findings regarding the possibility that a PRV infection may lower the fitness of wild fish by negatively impacting their ability to complete a migration. It also cited to the 2019 Zhang study, which found that a high PRV viral load “had no effect on the oxygen affinity and carrying capacity of the red blood cells even for individuals with minor heart pathology.” AR at 4519 (citing Yangfan Zhang et al., High-Load Reovirus Infections Do Not Imply Physiological Impairment in Salmon, FRONTIERS IN PHYSIOLOGY (Mar. 13 2019), https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphys.2019.00114/full)

WDFW did not base its conclusion on the Zhang article nor does the record show it failed to assess the impact of jaundice and anemia on Pacific salmon. WDFW explained that “neither jaundice/anemia (Atlantic, sockeye, and Chinook salmon) nor HSMI [heart and skeletal muscle inflammation] (Atlantic and sockeye salmon) Wild Fish Conservancy v. Dep’t of Fish & Wildlife, No. 99263-1 46 developed” in fish that were infected with PRV-1 from the eastern North Pacific. AR at 4518 (citing to four different studies that conducted these laboratory experiments). WDFW further noted that in British Columbia, only 0.05 percent of farmed Pacific salmon deaths are associated with jaundice. AR at 4518.

WDFW thoroughly considered the possible risks that PRV-1 and associated diseases, like jaundice and anemia, pose to both Atlantic salmon and Pacific salmonids. Based on its comparison and assessment of over a dozen studies on the prevalence of PRV-1, WDFW concluded the “disease is rare and the pathogenicity of the virus is low or non-existent in net-pen aquaculture in the eastern North Pacific.” AR at 4519. In addition to relying on numerous recent scientific studies of PRV, WDFW included its own relevant data derived from its PRV-1 surveillance program at selected hatcheries in Washington. This surveillance program was establish in 2018 after Cooke’s predecessor’s net pen failure in 2017. It was established that a high likelihood exists that more or all of the farmed Atlantic salmon were positive with a PRV-1 strain from Iceland. (WDFW concluded that the PRV-1 was most likely from the broodstock the company received from Iceland.) Since 2018, WDFW has analyzed 648 samples from various salmonids, including steelhead trout; 87 percent tested negative for PRV-1. WDFW found no evidence existed to establish that the 2017 net pen failure resulted in the transmission of the Icelandic PRV-1 to wild salmonid populations in Washington. AR at 4520.

WDFW, supported by the scientific studies in the record, explained in its justification report that PRV-1 impacts both Atlantic salmon and Pacific salmon, but it is rare that the fish contract the disease. While the associated diseases and infections may pose a risk to salmonids, Pacific salmon are known to be susceptible only to PRV-1-related jaundice or anemia, and available data shows that jaundice/anemia in Pacific salmon is exceptionally rare.

Thx 4 the post, WMY. The Marty/bcsfa study was done on Atlantics - and all viruses mutate like the supposedly benign HPR0:

Last edited:
More vetted, background science:

Thanks for posting this. Just goes to show that a sea of blue from a poster isn't necessarily confirmation of ones narrative.

From the results in the study:

Generally, Atlantic salmon populations were depressed more than Pacific salmon populations, particularly Atlantic salmon in Atlantic Canada. Irish sea trout were also estimated to have been very strongly reduced by impacts of salmon farming, whereas estimated impacts on Atlantic salmon in Scotland depended on the data used. In British Columbia (Pacific Canada), only pink salmon showed significant declines correlated with salmon aquaculture.

and here's another graph from a population that had tested positive for ISAv and PRv (that may have been a factor amongst other impacts):
View attachment 74232
Co-incidentally - as well as sockeye - Eulachon have also been depressed in River's Inlet and most of the Central Coast for some years and ISA from FFs has become entrenched in Southern NB and IBoF Atlantic salmon have been placed on the SARA list.

How much is alaska harvesting???

Birdie! Long time no hear! Old home week it seems today. Yep, read all - critique all - sorta like an environmental assessment, eh?

Last edited:
It wasn't a deflection aa ... rockdog posted a statement damning fish farms, I asked him to defend it. He hasn't and neither did you.

Its ok Dave, I've asked what the arguments will be when they go to in ocean closed containment?...... crickets

And why no one has delved into AM's real reasons of turning a blind eye to her own country releasing billions of farmed fish into the open ocean, these fish are NOT realeased as tiny smolts! Reared in net pens till a certain size then released to fend for themselves in the open ocean!!
She's the largest hypocrite and living off all these bleading hearts sending her $$$$$$$$
She will be exposed for what she really is...

It's always interesting how the pro-open net-cage lobby always reverts to deflecting critiques about their industry and calls for more accountability back onto the public questioning their activities rather than taking responsibility for their actions in order to maintain the status quo on their operations.

I cheer-lead for accountability and good governance just like any involved, responsible citizen - thanks for noticing Dave. Too bad you didn't want to answer the question I asked you or comment on Ford's article. And if I every came out with any absolutes on ocean survival increases on the removal of open net-cage FFs - it'd be found under the search button.

I did remark on the lack of our ability to determine accurate escapement numbers on a scale relevant to the localized interactions around FFs. And then there is this graph to discuss:

View attachment 74228

This thread started as
Aquaculture improving?

With all the info you have copy/pasted
AA can you honestly say it hasn't?

And when they improve even more (as all industry does over time) when they go to in ocean closed containment and most likely 100% partnered with 1st nations

Great post & questions, SF. Thanks for them and your rational, respectful approach.

IMHO - yes there has been some improvements IN SPITE OF resistance and collusion/corruption between the regulators/protectors and those in stead focused on the protection of wild stocks.

I clearly remember the resistance and lies promoted by DFO and industry (hard to tell whom is speaking on whom's behalf sometimes as they crib & share speaking notes) when the impacts of sea lice came up about ~20 year ago now. It took independent, outside researchers to develop an understanding of background levels of sea lice and many years of politics to develop a response to those impacts - NOT again due to the industry being responsible - or being forced to by DFO.

So now at least we look @ sea lice levels to some extent (on farm, mostly), but have inadequate triggers and enforcement in the Conditions of Licence.

I see history repeating itself in the industry's response to the issue of disease transfer and impacts to wild stocks - the same denials, resistance, lies, and shooting the messenger.

Other jurisdictions (esp. Norway) are far, far ahead in admitting and responding to those rather obvious impacts - but as can be seen from reading the pages in this thread - the industry pundits in Canada are still stuck in denials because frankly - big money is involved. That greases many palms, as well as providing income to the industry workers and pay outs to the the shareholders.

The industry gets free pumping, free sewerage disposal and nearly free real estate using the open net-pen technology - which is where I have an issue with this industry and how it operates. There is no incentive to go to closed containment when these impacts and expenses are externalized to the environment and the adjacent wild stocks.

Can we minimize these impacts to some extent - yes. And that was Cohen's recommendations was about and why the industry was booted out of the Discovery Islands areas amidst much wailing by the industry that has grown far too use to getting their way by anyways necessary (I have seen much of DFO over the years and read many ATIPS and I am in firm belief that it is VERY corrupt on the top end). That history of backroom deals with the regulators has been ongoing since the province ran the show:

But one cannot truly or fully mitigate impacts to wild stocks because the water flows freely in and out of the pens using the OPEN net-pens. That technology has not really changed. Yes, they have switched to more effective upgrades in the productions end of things (stronger cages, better feeding regimes wasting less feed, etc.) - but the same wild-cultured stock interactions happen - and frankly I am concerned about the wild stocks - not the industry's profit margins.

I am supportive of any and all changes that help the wild stocks - but until the industry goes full closed containment - I am convinced impacts will continue.

It's always interesting how the pro-open net-cage lobby always reverts to deflecting critiques about their industry and calls for more accountability back onto the public questioning their activities rather than taking responsibility for their actions in order to maintain the status quo on their operations.

I cheer-lead for accountability and good governance just like any involved, responsible citizen - thanks for noticing Dave. Too bad you didn't want to answer the question I asked you or comment on Ford's article. And if I every came out with any absolutes on ocean survival increases on the removal of open net-cage FFs - it'd be found under the search button.

I did remark on the lack of our ability to determine accurate escapement numbers on a scale relevant to the localized interactions around FFs. And then there is this graph to discuss:

View attachment 74228
Wonder what happened in the early 90’s?
Oh ya that’s when the Fish Farms showed up. Maybe some kind of connection there.

oh we’re back to to fish farms are the driving force of salmon abundance
Fish Farms Kill Wild Salmon
A FACT no one disputes!!!
No one disputes that there are lots of things that kill Wild Salmon that effects their abundance.
BUT just like Covid Kills some people, Fish Farms Kill some Wild Salmon
People can be found dead. Salmon on the other hand can't be found and counted when they die.
All plain, simple and unfortunate FACTS!
Some might suggest Sport Fishing be shut down entirely to offset the number of Wild Salmon Fish Farms kill as clearly both are responsible for contributing somewhat to the reduced abundancy of Wild Salmon.
And some are suggesting shutting down Fish Farms and allowing some form of Sport Fishing to continue.
And some are suggesting doing nothing about Fish Farms and want Sport Fishing to continue with fewer restrictions.
No easy answers to Covid or Fish Farms or the abundance of Wild Salmon!
Solving these problems will be a painful challenge.
AND another FACT is, to do nothing is not the solution!

Last edited by a moderator:
How did this thread on Fish Farms turn into an Alaska Salmon Hatchery program debate?
Perhaps Birdsnest will start a thread on Fish Hatchery programs and Ranching.
We could even discuss the Washington State Hatchery program.

Fish Farms Kill Wild Salmon
A FACT no one disputes!!!
No one disputes that there are lots of things that kill Wild Salmon that effects their abundance.
BUT just like Covid Kills some people, Fish Farms Kill some Wild Salmon
People can be found dead. Salmon on the other hand can't be found and counted when they die.
All plain, simple and unfortunate FACTS!
Some might suggest Sport Fishing be shut down entirely to offset the number of Wild Salmon Fish Farms kill as clearly both are responsible for contributing somewhat to the reduced abundancy of Wild Salmon.
And some are suggesting shutting down Fish Farms and allowing some form of Sport Fishing to continue.
And some are suggesting doing nothing about Fish Farms and want Sport Fishing to continue with fewer restrictions.
No easy answers to Covid or Fish Farms or the abundance of Wild Salmon!
Solving these problems will be a painful challenge.
AND another FACT is, to do nothing is not the solution!
Something is finally being done and the Fish Farm pundits are in full damage control trying to change the narrative to something else.. The tide is turning and it can’t be stopped. Hopefully it’s not too late for Wild Salmon.

facets-2021-0101f6.gif

Richmond et al. (2005) contextualized the arrival of the salmon farms as a continuation of the colonial process against the Kwakwaka’wakw nations. Figure 6 provides a sense of the scale of the salmon farms as they exist presently.
“But when a fish farm first came…that’s when everything changed.”—Alfred “Baker” Coon (Supplementary material, item AC2)

Last edited:
Back