Aquaculture; improving????

yes the reallocation effects all sectors

That was my point. I just used sport fishing as the obvious example since this is a sport fishing forum. Same can be said for mining, forestry, whale watching etc, etc. The comment is valid here since it is a sport fishing forum.

This thread is for "Aquaculture; improving???? not sport fishing. Most Sport Fishers do not support Open net cage Salmon Farming.

So i cant use sport fishing in this thread but terrain can? You just demonstrated this clearly in your post I quoted.

Ian Roberts? Same guy that responded with "the ocean has a way of making it go away", when asked about what happens to all the waste from open net pen farming. He's a good source of knowledge.

101 First Nations in B.C. demand removal of open-net salmon farms near Campbell River
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...almon-farms-near-campbell-river-b-c-1.5733840

"According to the Living Oceans Society, a study by marine biologist Alexandra Morton found 99 per cent of juvenile salmon out-migrating from the area had a fatal load of sea lice. "
End quote...

Seriously? AA 99%!! Laughable Even you can't defend this comment, what kind of garbage reporting is this?..rite..tell me it's peer reviewed science?..:rolleyes:

Bird - The very first point is already wrong. You think there is no science out there? Give me a break.

Why don't you show me the science that says everywhere open net pen farms go, such as the one you earn your living at, contibutes to the environment in a positive way?

Bet you can't.

This thread is for "Aquaculture; improving???? not sport fishing. Most Sport Fishers do not support Open net cage Salmon Farming.

If this thread is really about " Aquaculture improving"..then not 1 person here can argue the answer is absolutely yes!!..just as logging has, oil and gas has,ect ect ect has, any industry that humans have started since beginning of time, has
"improved" over its early days, and it will get better and better as time goes on.

Anyone who thinks taking every single ffarm out of the ocean on the bc coast will change whats going on in the fraser is completely out to lunch..
Bets??

If this thread is really about " Aquaculture improving"..then not 1 person here can argue the answer is absolutely yes!!..just as logging has, oil and gas has,ect ect ect has, any industry that humans have started since beginning of time, has
"improved" over its early days, and it will get better and better as time goes on.
It is clear to anyone with an open mind and with no connection to the industry that since this thread was started just over a year ago Fish Farms are not improving!
Pure and Simple

On the "misinformation" point raised: if FFs were required to go through an environmental assessment where baseline data was required BEFORE operations commenced and in order to place - or not place - open net-cage operations - I believe we wouldn't have the same polarization in narratives in the media. We would have data to use in a structured, vetted, refereed process. So.. The questions are:

1/ Why aren't FFs forced into an environmental assessment?
2/ Who made that decision, and how do we change it?
3/ Whose interests are served by withholding information and elevating the dialogue into never-ending acrimonious debate?
4/ What do we do about existing sites?

More power to them!!! Need to get these unsustainable, polluting, disease spreading farms out of the water and on land where their negative impacts can be better managed and stop their damage to salmon and the marine environment.

Bird - The very first point is already wrong. You think there is no science out there? Give me a break...
Ya - I know, Sino. Even tho it should be the proponent that provides baseline data critical to assessing impacts to adjacent wild stocks - they do not. They are not forced to by the promoter/regulator DFO. Then when independent researchers do find science not helpful to the image the FFing industry wants - out come the Ginsu knives and the tactic directed by the hired PR firms like
Hill & Knowlton (https://books.google.ca/books?id=HPETaTk5lqsC&pg=PA58&lpg=PA58&dq=PR+firm+Hill+&+Knowlton+aquaculture&source=bl&ots=duGYtqEhbF&sig=ACfU3U0nol8V4zvUxOISI8BkaYQI1U1mDQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwis5Iusj4LsAhXgJzQIHXyUBjEQ6AEwEnoECAEQAQ#v=onepage&q=PR firm Hill & Knowlton aquaculture&f=false) where they try to de-legitimize both the message and the messenger. The speaking notes get parroted by the "pro" side and the endless debate goes on unresolved - which is what the industry and their PR firms/people want, IMHO. As the public educates themselves -they begin to see thru the smoke screen: https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/province-house/cermaqs-pr-fiasco/

https://www.northislandgazette.com/...eqXpPP1AiSQXIvkWM_BzKZvGzxXxdEd9cDOx2OXGpQsIU

Sorry I've been away. Been fishing a lot.

I found this response from Ian Roberts on FB. I think it is a fairly solid rebuttal to the many recent statements made by activists that just don't hold water.

My response underneath the latest Black Press article by Quinn Bender https://www.northislandgazette.com/.../unprecedented.../
I would suggest a few more folks go and add their thoughts.
A few corrections required to statements presented as fact in this article:
1. “…opponents of salmon farms point to independent studies”. None of these studies (actually just one study) have been made public, so what are they pointing to, exactly? Don’t be afraid to show your work.
2. “…many see as a conflict of interest in [DFOs) role to both protect wild salmon and promote salmon farming”. This is opinion that is 10 years outdated. As DFO makes clear in its update of the Cohen recommendations, DFO’s oversight of the salmon farming industry is consistent with its mandate, to “support the viability and sustainability” of the sector, and fairly applies to both aquaculture and wild fisheries.
2. “…fishermen are reporting unprecedented lice loads on out-migrating salmon smolts”. That’s really strange – didn’t know fishermen were targeting 20 grams juvenile salmon when trolling? They aren’t. This is just nonsense and doesn’t echo the reports of professional biologists working in the field sampling for sea lice on small fish.
3. A fishermen said: “Coastal and Indigenous communities have been decimated over the past decades, and this decimation has coincided with the emergence of open-net pen salmon farming.” He also said, right after this statement: “I’m not smart enough to connect those dots.”
4. “It [salmon farming] certainly was laid out in the Cohen inquiry as a smoking gun.”. No it wasn’t. In fact, Cohen’s final report stated: “…data presented during this Inquiry did not show that salmon farms were having a significant negative impact on Fraser River sockeye…” (Volume 3, page 24). Furthermore, mentioned that marine conditions (warm sea temperatures, low salinity, poor zooplankton abundance) as “likely to be the primary factors”.
5. “…one point during the study up to 99 per cent of out migrating juvenile salmon were infested with sea lice at potentially lethal numbers.” Again, that single study – the same one mentioned in point #1 above - has been kept locked away in secret. There are published studies – showing the raw data – that do not support this statement. Are journalists, apparently capable of using search engines, unable to find these published studies online?
6. “…a study prompted by the Cohen recommendations that found the risk of the Piscine orthoreovirus pathogen spreading from farms to Fraser River sockeye is also minimal.” Well done. Buried under paragraphs of opinion, finally actual science is referred to by the journalist, right at the bottom.
This presser was merely pressure tactics from a group of people terrified that the science won’t back up their self-interests. After one hour of expressing their opinions, we can now let science speak to fact. Let DFO report on its findings, as all participants of the Cohen Commission politely agreed back in 2011 – that science will lead Canada’s decision-making regarding fisheries and aquaculture.

Always my favorite argument tactic from Ian Roberts, quote mining from the Cohen Commission Report. Well two can play that game.

"In summary, I have concluded that net-pen salmon farming in the Discovery Islands poses a risk of serious harm to Fraser River sockeye through the transfer of diseases and pathogens." Volume 3, page 25

https://www.albernivalleynews.com/n...sh-farms-citing-wild-salmon-extinction-risk/#

Love the play on words in this piece..

Beware of who your "friends" are, they are waiting to throw you under the bus at the blink of an eye.

What if theses ff were to "ranch" billions of fish like our US neighbors to the north and Russia, China to the west, how ya all like that?..if there are only so many groceries in the store, someone is going hungry

https://seawestnews.com/anti-fish-farm-activists-numbers-dont-add-up/

Love how this piece plays on AM claim to have had a miraculous return of wild smolts just after a ff is removed,..but,but the parents of those same smolts had to swim past that very same ff not once, but TWICE!! Whaattt?!!??

Last edited:
Back