Aquaculture; improving????

Many people on the site still seem to have blind faith in DFO and their processes, and dismiss us DFO haters as acting like neanderthals. I don't know if someone has already posted the above article but it clearly outlines why us DFO haters feel the way we do, and why, in most cases, information shared by DFO is not worth the paper it is written on.

Screenshot_20230521-080156_Google.jpg

"perceived" and "suggest" are opinions, not great words to use in anyone's argument for or against.
Many government agencies needing independent reviews, this regarding fish I'm all for it.
Facts not opinions

Things are going to get interesting. FN are now fighting hard for the industry to stay in the areas its supported. The court case will be interesting to watch also.

Things are going to get interesting. FN are now fighting hard for the industry to stay in the areas its supported. The court case will be interesting to watch also.
What, 2 FN's out of 130? Hopefully the farms will just be gone, or wild fish will be gone. We are basically at a point where we pick 1 or the other. It's been proven over and over we can't have both. Scary time.

Its more than 2. The number supporting is more like 12 or so. They are turning up the heat for the right of self determination of what industry happens in their territory. I have no skin in the game but things will be interesting to see how it plays out especially when all of the Nations bring up : self determination, self governance, reconciliation, etc.

Out of the ~200-odd FN in BC ~10-12 officially support ONP aquaculture mostly thru revenue and hiring agreements with the existing FN band admins verses any existing hereditary systems. Even within those communities there is considerable debate over cost-benefits and impacts to adjacent wild stocks.

So... ~ 90-95% of FNs OPPOSE that industry as it currently operates despite the smiling releases from BCFSA and the growling from a couple elected Chief Councilors.

Revenues may be housed within a FN territory - but impacts are NOT. Fish swim and water flows. This common-sense reality is NOT acknowledged nor reflected in the growling about FN independence over economic opportunities....

What, 2 FN's out of 130? Hopefully the farms will just be gone, or wild fish will be gone. We are basically at a point where we pick 1 or the other. It's been proven over and over we can't have both. Scary time.
Picking Wild Salmon over Farmed was the responsible and correct choice and its only the Corporate Fish Farm shills that keep rehashing whats already been decided.

Seems like Senior staff and other Ministers may think differently than the Fisheries Minister who has a agenda (ENGO background).

As I said it will be interesting to watch how it plays out .................... The same thing can be said about other industrial activities as well. I wonder how the Gov will decide.

Doesnt matter what the colonial govs decide, "1st nation" will end up doung what they want,

Seems like Senior staff and other Ministers may think differently than the Fisheries Minister who has a agenda (ENGO background).
"think differently" within DFO Aquaculture Branch is a very polite way to describe institutionalized conflicts of interest, collusion, gatekeeping, lying and dishonouring the Crown - but thanks for that admission!

Back