Aquaculture; improving????

Bla bla bla, almost any industry that grows food gets "land for free" ffs, ever heard of ALR?
How about each and every shellfish lease?
Tired of the of "they get this and that for next to nothing"
Don't forget they don't do any defensible environmental assessments including scoping - like other industries. In fact the regulators conveniently & frequently ignore their own science, here as well:

As i type Greg Seafoods is cleaning up after
decades of logging , have pulled up hundreds if not thousands of tons of pollution off the seafloor, 400-600ft down with rov's
Thousands of tires, boats, you name it they've removed it
Kudos to Grieg Seafoods and their crews

As i type Greg Seafoods is cleaning up after
decades of logging , have pulled up hundreds if not thousands of tons of pollution off the seafloor, 400-600ft down with rov's
Thousands of tires, boats, you name it they've removed it
Kudos to Grieg Seafoods and their crews

Is this what you are referring to?
Fact...
Fish Farms are one of the worst polluters of our oceans.
Cermaq, Greig’s Seafood, Mowi all foreign owned…look them up!

Is this what you are referring to?
Fact...
Fish Farms are one of the worst polluters of our oceans.
Cermaq, Greig’s Seafood, Mowi all foreign owned…look them up!
Nope, lots of positive stuff goes on in the background that doesnt make headlines ,
this is a massive commercial industrial cleanup that I refered to

This is me being lazy.. with having to sift through documents, what happens to the sea floor and all the living things down to the micro organisms when the drugs and the food that fall through the net pens?

I heard a diver talking about that once. He said it was thick sludge down there and basically killed off most everything that lived there.

Wild salmon yes major topic, but what about everything else as well? What kind of impact does that have on the rest of the sea life?

This is me being lazy.. with having to sift through documents, what happens to the sea floor and all the living things down to the micro organisms when the drugs and the food that fall through the net pens?

I heard a diver talking about that once. He said it was thick sludge down there and basically killed off most everything that lived there.

Wild salmon yes major topic, but what about everything else as well? What kind of impact does that have on the rest of the sea life?
There is benthic monitoring done that has to meet standards. Bottom grabs are taken, If standards not met then farms must fallow until standards are met. Most of the really poor performing sites were placed before siting was improved (and better understanding of deposits) and are old sites that are not used anymore. Benthic performance is very good now. as for the bottom having no life ask the commercial prawn fishermen why they get anchor diagrams from the farms ................................ they set as close to the system as they can.

Take a look at the bottom at log dumps. helli dump sites and other industrial sites where there are no standards or at Vancouver and Victoria dumping tons or untreated sewage ............................ no standards.

Interesting how industry supporters immediately jump to benthic impacts & monitoring when the term "environmental assessment" is mentioned.

Yes, it is covered. Onto the more important and critical impacts: wild/cultured fish interactions - specifically pathogens.

Sea lice are somewhat covered - altho we could do a deep dive into the effectiveness of lice levels, treatments, enforcement, and loading onto susceptible outmigrating juvies. The one purposely not covered is most disease transfer areas and the plumes of infective vectors released from the amplified numbers of caged salmon onto areas that dependably hold outmigrating and holding juvenile salmon in areas/times when it is normally fallow of large numbers of returning wild adult salmon.

The process of determining the boundaries of the plumes of these infective agents is covered (in part) in the DFO document links I posted (aka scoping). These are NOT IMPLEMENTED recommendations (purposely). And there are dozens of other published articles on these risks/impacts similarly NOT EVEN ACKNOWLEDGED by our regulators. If these ONP operations were listed in the schedules of the IA Act (used to be called CEAA) they would have to do scoping. But guess what? The industry has been exempt there, as well.

Those plumes extend for sometimes dozens of km. Have a read - and you will see what I am saying...

Or call the Sechelt Band as they are involved and know what is being done also.
Thanks for the tip

“Greg Seafoods is cleaning up”
“this is a massive commercial industrial cleanup that I refered to”
“How about you take your boat up seshelt inlet”
“Or call the Sechelt Band as they are involved and know what is being done also.”
https://shishalh.com/
https://shishalh.com/calendar/
I expect we will hear more soon about “this massive commercial cleanup” being conducted by Greig Seafoods and the local native bands. A massive cleanup is over due!
I do hope it starts with foreign owned Cermaq, Greig’s Seafood and Mowi cleaning up their fish farms!
Thanks for this new information and I look forward to seeing first hand information.

Thanks for the tip

“Or call the Sechelt Band as they are involved and know what is being done also.”
I expect we will hear more soon about “this massive commercial cleanup” being conducted by Greig Seafoods and the local native bands. A massive cleanup is over due!
I do hope it starts with foreign owned Cermaq, Greig’s Seafood and Mowi cleaning up their fish farms!
Thanks for this new information and I look forward to seeing first hand information.

DFO has zero integrity or credibility. It's nothing but a promotional tool for the net-pen industry. Why does anyone with a brain think differently?

Thanks for the tip

Tip? Lol Not new, antis are only fed news they want to hear , but you're very welcome

Last edited:
Bingo, some sites were located on old logging leases
Yep...Bingo
*Shishalh Nation, known as the salmon people, have deep concerns about the impacts of finfish aquaculture on wild salmon. shishalh has raised these concerns with Federal and Provincial governments for more than three decades. These concerns have only increased over the years as we have witnessed the substantial decline in the swiya salmon populations, which has had dramatic impacts on shishalh way of life."

Speaking of impacts from sea lice - here is some newer science from Norway on that issue:

Back