Aquaculture; improving????

We’re at a tipping point right now for the future of wild salmon in B.C. I’m not exaggerating. This is a big deal. A few years ago I wouldn’t have thought it was possible.
In the next few days, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government will make a critical decision for our salmon and all the people and critters that depend on them. Licenses for the majority of B.C. fish farms expire on June 30, 2022 and not renewing these licenses would finally be the end of open net factory fish farms on our coast.
We need all hands on deck—that means YOU—to help tip the balance for wild salmon by calling the Minister of Fisheries and telling her British Columbians want fish farms out! Even if you’ve already called, another message would be extremely helpful.
Despite what industry-backed scientists* would have you believe, a massive body of peer-reviewed scientific research shows salmon farms harm wild salmon. Juvenile wild salmon need to be free to leave their home rivers and swim along our coast without battling the deadly viruses, parasites and bacteria spewing from factory fish farms.
We’ve never been closer to getting the parasite factories all out of the water. Fisheries minister Joyce Murray stated she plans to keep her government’s promise to remove all open-net salmon farms from B.C. by 2025. Previously, factory fish farm licences have been renewed every six years or so, but if Minister Murray is serious about keeping her promise and meeting her 2025 commitment, she needs to start shutting farms down this year.
Wild salmon are the backbone of our coast and watersheds, from Prince Rupert, to the Rocky Mountains, to the Shuswap, to Vancouver Island and all points in between.
We now have evidence** from areas of the coast where Minister Murray’s predecessor followed the wishes of First Nations and ordered the farms out. The young salmon in those spots are now lice-free! But fish migrate, and those young salmon still swim past giant, toxic factory farms on their way north. We need to remove all the farms on their migration routes if we want them to survive.
We may never have another chance like this. We don’t know who will form the next government and whether they will honour this government’s commitment to getting the farms out. That’s why we all need to push them to get the farms out NOW.
Please take 2 minutes to use our handy calling tool to leave a message for the minister. And please share it with your friends and family and encourage them to take action too.
Thanks for your help at this critical moment.

Pretty much every author has undisclosed ties with either the British Columbia Centre for Aquatic Health Services (CAHS) on the West Coast; or University of Prince Edward Island on the East Coast. Both institutions rely heavily on funding that comes thru facilitating/servicing the ONP industry. Interestingly, they don't list the authors as part of their organization as staff on their website, as well. Makes me wonder whom the main coordinator of the letter writing was. Farrell perhaps? he was the 1st author.

Last edited:
It's pretty much a no brainer. These open pen farms have been removed from every country so far except for Canada. The politicians get their pockets lined, and ignore the proven science that has been obvious now for the past 20 years. It comes down to greed once again.

Pretty much every author has undisclosed ties with either the British Columbia Centre for Aquatic Health Services (CAHS) on the West Coast; or University of Prince Edward Island on the East Coast. Both institutions rely heavily on funding that comes thru facilitating/servicing the ONP industry. Interestingly, they don't list the authors as part of their organization as staff on their website, as well. Makes me wonder whom the main coordinator of the letter writing was. Farrell perhaps? he was the 1st author.

i wonder if Greg Taylor wrote this lol

Looks to be a future for this industry in bc waters go figure ;)

it looks like "transition" wording has been softened some what. Still not a bad thing if more work gets done to try and reduce potential wild/ farm interaction.

bob chamberlin was celebrating on the radio this morning seems like he's taking it a victory for first nations and wild salmon.

bob chamberlin was celebrating on the radio this morning seems like he's taking it a victory for first nations and wild salmon.
lol
celebrating a very small step forward in my opinion,
BUT
could be significant if the new and existing rules for Fish Farms such as lice counts are checked regularly and enforced with closures and fines imposed for violations!

Joyce Murray was on CKNW, the host said “ David Suzuki is celebrating this announcement, that the farms will be removed by 2025 is that true.

she never answered the question and doges it both times and just said they a commitment to removing wild salmon and fish ontration and will be consulting to come up with a transition plan.

so once again clear is mud

Does anyone here know what the bc fish farming industry is worth on an average annual?
When you find someone who answerers your question "what the bc fish farming industry is worth on an average annual" hopefully someone will post the annual worth of the commercial salmon and sport fishing industry.
Short answer is Fish Farms loose by a large margin!

Joyce Murray was on CKNW, the host said “ David Suzuki is celebrating this announcement, that the farms will be removed by 2025 is that true.

she never answered the question and doges it both times and just said they a commitment to removing wild salmon and fish ontration and will be consulting to come up with a transition plan.

so once again clear is mud
In a rare moment of honesty - I once had a DFO employee confide in me: "vagueness is the key to flexibility". George Orwell must be required reading for the DFO communications department.

When you find someone who answerers your question "what the bc fish farming industry is worth on an average annual" hopefully someone will post the annual worth of the commercial salmon and sport fishing industry.
Short answer is Fish Farms loose by a large margin!

I wasn't trying to compare to other industries. I'm qurious from a business standpoint. Reason I'm qurious, is I suspect that their material and power cost is very low, and their profit is really high. I'll bet that if you put them on land and their material and power costs double or even triple, I'll bet it puts that industry with the rest of the industries as far as profit margins go. 30 to 40 percent. I'm just speculating.

No large land based site has survived. A FN tried one and proved they could grow fish but not make money. It never grew or expanded as planned and then they sold it. They received millions of start up money but still folded.

In a rare moment of honesty - I once had a DFO employee confide in me: "vagueness is the key to flexibility". George Orwell must be required reading for the DFO communications department.
DFO communications is definitely their weakest link; has been for about 15 years. So much confusion and angst could have been prevented with proactive communication between them and their clients. It's happening now on the Fraser River with a chinook tagging program I suspect the general public knows nothing about.

Back