Aquaculture; improving????

Do we know yet if they are removing fish farms by 2025 or we have to have a plan to remove fish farms by 2025.

??

I don't think the details have yet been sorted out - but I would hazard a guess responding with: "unlikely" on the removal option.

Personally, I would be happy if they removed open net pens from the areas of high interaction & risk with outmigrating & rearing juvies - along with public and immediate release of specific sites where there are sea lice AND disease outbreaks so those effects could be assessed on the adjacent wild stocks.

But DFO aquaculture STILL denies that juvies have areas of early marine nearshore rearing (they don't want to know), as well as STILL denying the public real-time information w geographic coordinates on disease outbreaks (they don't want you to know), as they don't want those potential effects to be assessed and the industry to be held accountable and for change to happen (IMHO).

And they STILL won't use Foreman's (or anyone else's) defensible science-based methodology (e.g. agent-based modelling or other siting methodologies) instead of the really idiotic & scientifically indefensible siting criteria they inherited from the Province - because they don't want to rock the boat w the industry and the upper echelon of DFO that have what I would call an incestuous & corrupt relationship w the industry. Cohen noted the same.

Other than the upper echelon of DFO (esp. the aquaculture bunch & Timothy Sargent) retiring - or like Mark Sheppard and Bernie Taekema - instead getting jobs with the industry where they and their potential biases are better suited (IMHO) - I don't see any change unless it is forced.

Last edited:
Lobbying is a career in legalized theft.

Aqua: "Other than the upper echelon of DFO (esp. the aquaculture bunch & Timothy Sargent) retiring - or like Mark Sheppard and Bernie Taekema - instead getting jobs with the industry where they and their potential biases are better suited (IMHO) - I don't see any change unless it is forced."

• Continue to work with the province of British Columbia and Indigenous communities on a responsible plan to transition from open net-pen salmon farming in coastal British Columbia waters by 2025 and work to introduce Canada’s first-ever Aquaculture Act.

I don't think the details have yet been sorted out - but I would hazard a guess responding with: "unlikely" on the removal option.

Personally, I would be happy if they removed open net pens from the areas of high interaction & risk with outmigrating & rearing juvies - along with public and immediate release of specific sites where there are sea lice AND disease outbreaks so those effects could be assessed on the adjacent wild stocks.

But DFO aquaculture STILL denies that juvies have areas of early marine nearshore rearing (they don't want to know), as well as STILL denying the public real-time information w geographic coordinates on disease outbreaks (they don't want you to know), as they don't want those potential effects to be assessed and the industry to be held accountable and for change to happen (IMHO).

And they STILL won't use Foreman's (or anyone else's) defensible science-based methodology (e.g. agent-based modelling or other siting methodologies) instead of the really idiotic & scientifically indefensible siting criteria they inherited from the Province - because they don't want to rock the boat w the industry and the upper echelon of DFO that have what I would call an incestuous & corrupt relationship w the industry. Cohen noted the same.

Other than the upper echelon of DFO (esp. the aquaculture bunch & Timothy Sargent) retiring - or like Mark Sheppard and Bernie Taekema - instead getting jobs with the industry where they and their potential biases are better suited (IMHO) - I don't see any change unless it is forced.
I’m getting a headache here. Why are they not out of here yet? They **** and spread disease and sea lice in Wild Salmon homes. Why is Fisheries Police not making sure no Fuel, food or medicine is brought in to get these occupier’s to go home? The local wild smolt residents can’t get a good nights rest if their life depended on it.
Why would the government treat these invading fish better that truckers in Ottawa?

I’m getting a headache here. Why are they not out of here yet? They **** and spread disease and sea lice in Wild Salmon homes. Why is Fisheries Police not making sure no Fuel, food or medicine is brought in to get these occupier’s to go home? The local wild smolt residents can’t get a good nights rest if their life depended on it.
Why would the government treat these invading fish better that truckers in Ottawa?

Is it just atlantic salmon that you take issue with?

Altho some might disagree - if we are going to have farmed fish in cages w/o being able to mitigate wild-cultured stock interactions - Atlantics are the better choice wrt non-triploid hatchery stock since they can't interbreed w local Pacific salmon when they escape - UNLIKE the issues they have been having for 30 years on the East Coast with introgression in rivers in farming areas like the Macadavaic (sp incorrect - but thats how it is pronounced) and others.

And for the farmers - they like the Atlantics better since the husbandry was figured out 20+yrs ago and most importantly - they can withstand high stocking densities - and consequently higher profits for the same size and number of pens verses Pacific salmon.

And that is (spoiler alert - no surprise) why the industry is so reluctant to go to closed containment, IMHO. They get free pumping and free oxygen and free sewerage removal and free real estate using the open net-cage technology. They get more $, short version.

And greed is always the problem - esp. in a system where the important factor to appease is the shareholders of those foreign multinationals. And wild fish are also market competition - so if they kill off wild stocks - they kill 2 birds with the same pathogen.

So - no incentive for change for that industry - which is why it needs better regulation that is forced on it by unbiased regulators that are supposed to look after the wild stocks. The issue Cohen also noted.

Any promotion of the industry needs to be removed from DFO as it always has been a huge conflict of interest and some of the DFO employees in the aquaculture Branch are confused as to their departmental and personal loyalty expressed as biases/conflicts. They don't want change, neither. Their current jobs depend upon the industry staying the same size or increasing. Some of them are ex-farmers that the province hired when it was in charge, and they got rolled into DFO. The newest ones lack that corporate memory and get wrapped up in the status quo. And they don't want embarrassing information to come out that may precipitate change. So out comes the gatekeepers and the communications branch. Keeping it acrimonious and unresolved keeps the status quo.

The deck is therefore stacked when looking for accountability and/or data that puts the industry in a poor light.

And that is why "...they are not out of here yet", to answer terrins question.

Last edited:
  • Continue to work with the province of British Columbia and Indigenous communities on a responsible plan to transition from open net-pen salmon farming in coastal British Columbia waters by 2025 and work to introduce Canada’s first-ever Aquaculture Act.

Transition to...

No matter how many times i read it i cant tell eater way. I guess maybe that was the point
You're not supposed to WMY - none of us are. It's a strategy (you are correct).

In a rare moment of honesty - I once had a DFO employee confide to me that: "Vagueness is the key to flexibility". That strategy starts @ the party and cabinet levels and extends down into the communications branch. It is seen in the responses back from many of the letters & emails written to the government - as many of the posters on here can attest.

Cut and paste vague response #3 for query involving even partially issue #3 - and carefully ignore answering the other tough questions & red flags; declaring "Thank you for your interest" at the bottom - and finished by rubber stamping the minister's signature also at the bottom - and onto the next in the pile for the day. 20 years of doing that same thing - and you too can get a decent pay and a pension.

Last edited:
Fish Farm Sea Lice and Disease continue to decimate the Clayoquot Sound fishery
“The chinook salmon population has declined 98% with just 21 Chinook returning to the river in 2021”
“Wild salmon in Clayoquot Sound are rapidly approaching extinction”
“Semi-closed containment systems are a false solution to the threats posed to wild salmon by fish farms,” said Clayoquot Action’s executive director Dan Lewis. “They are more ‘semi-‘ than ‘closed’, and continue to spread pathogens and pollution into the marine environment”.
Fish Farm News And Science

Anyone know the politics behind why they want to remove the Clayoquot Sound farms and why there is almost nothing said about the port hardy farms

Anyone know the politics behind why they want to remove the Clayoquot Sound farms and why there is almost nothing said about the port hardy farms
Pure and simple
Open Net Pen Fish Farms everywhere are driven by money with little or no regard for the health of wild salmon.
Port Hardy is no different than Clayoquot, the Broughton or anywhere else.
On and on it goes with Fish Farms hoping the dedicated people who fight them with the reality they are killing wild salmon will give up the fight.
https://fishbio.com/news/going-viral-testing-clayoquot-sound-salmon-farms-prv
If fish farms are phased out, what does the future hold for Port Hardy? – North Island Gazette

Pure and simple
Open Net Pen Fish Farms everywhere are driven by money with little or no regard for the health of wild salmon.
Port Hardy is no different than Clayoquot, the Broughton or anywhere else.
On and on it goes with Fish Farms hoping the dedicated people who fight them with the reality they are killing wild salmon will give up the fight.
https://fishbio.com/news/going-viral-testing-clayoquot-sound-salmon-farms-prv
If fish farms are phased out, what does the future hold for Port Hardy? – North Island Gazette
Well I’m sure a lot more dedicated people who won’t give up on our Wild salmon and the need to remove the open net fish farm sewers and their accompanying disease and viruses.
If there is no longer food fish for First Nations there will be nothing for the Sporties.
Boat rides only will be in the future if these open net farms fish farms are not removed.
Maybe then the DFO can buy Food Fish for FN’s from the Foreign Multinationals to give them their constitutional rights to food fish.
I am willing to bet most if not all FN’s would rather catch and eat their own Wild Salmon instead of a tinted Farm Fish .

Back