Anyone selling a used Islander TR3? New like condition preferred

I otherwise like the TR3... I was only mentioning and asking about the only flaw I see with them....it seems to be common. I still like my MR-2 the best because the drag on it is predictable and when you turn in the drag knob a little you get a little increase in tension...move it more you get an incremental increase in tension. The Mr-3 is not consistent that way...you hit a spot where you turn the knob a little and the tension increase way to much. Hard to find and keep it on the sweet spot.
I have made thicker washers for my trophy reels to increase the spring tension when the drag is backed off to prevent the dreaded birds nest so maybe thinner washers or shortening the drag spring on the TR3 with decrease the drag when the tension is backed all the way off.
I have used my friends TR3 which is a very nice reel but I didn't like the minimum drag setting pulling that hard, if it was my reel I would had it apart by now and seen if the drag preload could be decreased.

Why doesn't Islander put a free spool lever on all their reels? Then you wouldn't need to constantly adjust your drag when re-setting your gear. Just set your drag to the level you like and then leave it there. Less endless fussing and fiddling around with the drag IMO.

In this specific example you would fiddle with the drag. But how often does the average fisher double stack with downriggers? Myself I only do it for sockeye and they haven't been open much where I fish for years.

In this specific example you would fiddle with the drag. But how often does the average fisher double stack with downriggers? Myself I only do it for sockeye and they haven't been open much where I fish for years.
I would ask why you hold the rod n reel in your hand while descending the downrigger.

Apologies for the unsensitive lady fingers comment.

Aquaholic (He/Him/It/Idiot)

Earlier this year I sold all 5 of my mr2 reels. I loved those things but it was getting old fishing deep. I bought 4 TR3 reels, those that know me well know that I'm pretty picky about my gear so this was a big plunge. The minimum drag setting on the tr3 took a little getting used to but I'm 100% sold on them. No regrets and I am very happy overall. My only complaint is the wack color schemes they come in. Like seriously just make me one in islander gold. We will see how they stand up maintenance wise I have good Intel that you can get years out of the bearings opposed to weeks of fishing with the mr2...

I also have one Trophy Bucktail rod with the smaller trophy reel but I am actually using with old polar bear bucktails with Cowichan spinners on surface for cohos. I am thinking your running off your downriggers for springs and are you using a flasher ?
Yes to both. The rods are light in the hands but more than capable of taking the downrigger and larger fish abuse. I typically get 2 seasons out of them before someone snaps a tip off trying to wind a BB swivel through the top eye.

Do you like your coast better than a TR3? Have you used both?
Thx
100% ......I've noticed over the years that the larger arbour has it's advantages when trying to stay on top of a larger aggressive fish, ya know the ones that run right at ya, I appreciate the knob spacing also, I opted for the smooth knobs as opposed to the paddles or knurled, you have a choice. These hands don't wind like they used to...... Some of the aluminum products seem to mimic a fly reel arbour. I also compared the Trophy, no bueno. Hard to hack Islander other than the arbour size, I have 5 of the Coast DR1's now, no complaints after 4 seasons, (2 backups in case of trouble). The R3EF reel may be something to look at also, have some 10'6" rods and I 👍

I would ask why you hold the rod n reel in your hand while descending the downrigger.

Apologies for the unsensitive lady fingers comment.

Aquaholic (He/Him/It/Idiot)
Obviously you hold the rod in your hands when you let the line out! Gotta be ready when that fish hits on the way down!

have been looking also blacked out TR3 , but really nervous now , as im seeming more and more TR3s coming up for sale, THEY CANT BE ALL THAT BAD ??? Seems to be a few complaints for sure as stated above, also tension tightining up causing brake offs . is it just a maint issues or all reels not created equal.
love all mine and i dont leave home without them.. there was 1 year were some of the reels TR-3 reels came out of the factor a little too tight which they took care of.. My MR-3 collection stay at hom eand gathers dust :) In the end its all up to personal prefrence and what you are wanting in your reels proformance ...

love all mine and i dont leave home without them.. there was 1 year were some of the reels TR-3 reels came out of the factor a little too tight which they took care of.. My MR-3 collection stay at hom eand gathers dust :) In the end its all up to personal prefrence and what you are wanting in your reels proformance ...
I didn't know that, the one I have must be newer as it is so sweet. Love the MR3's as well, but the function of the "no birds nest" drag setting is perfect for our downrigger style of fishing.

Back