Anyone out there with website hosting/internet knowledge?

Yep, I run a small consulting company that deals with everything from simple web hosting to complicated custom business software. Ask away on here or PM me.

Cheers.

Yup. Had just posted a few new reports as well. The damn whale story went viral and the traffic was crazy. Working on getting it going again.

You can contact my son Carl at 250-738-0600. He is is the business of building and hosting websites amongst many other computer related services.

I use the services by a Vancouver outfit called MyGreenHosting.com. Runs you $5/mo if you pre-pay for 3 years. I just did a major rebuild for a local club and used Joomla as the CMS. Very easy to add Discussion Forums, Calendars, Photo Galleries, Membership Sign-ups, Online Booking tools, Credit Card payments, Live Webcams etc... Joomla is a free, Open Source tool and all your website management is done using your web browser.

The issue was that we had to much traffic for the lower end server we were on. 100,000 hits in 10 days and i hadn't properly setup the website. Huge pictures etc. Unfortunately switching the server, domain etc has proven to be a huge pain. Hopefully we will be back online by August.

The issue was that we had to much traffic for the lower end server we were on. 100,000 hits in 10 days and i hadn't properly setup the website. Huge pictures etc. Unfortunately switching the server, domain etc has proven to be a huge pain. Hopefully we will be back online by August.
Ah yes Kelly, you have hit the nail on the head with this problem. Any two bit outfit can host a small church bazar or local club with a couple of hits a day. Dare say you could do it on your PC. LOL

However, if you are getting 10,000 hits a day (and expect that kind of traffic in the future) you are in the big leagues with high end multi-processor server requirements, load balancing, security to prevent DOS attacks etc. Will cost you more than $5-10 a month for a decent set up.....

We are in the process of dealing with something similar with two "exceed-bandwidth" issues in the last 4 weeks. Our Numerous domains and a few sites need to be managed under one quality system with friendly user interface. Bluehost or GoDaddy..

I'm running on bluehost.com, great server speeds and can handle large traffic during peak times, easy interface as well. I've used their online chat help and it's a lifesaver. Highly recommend this server for the money. Virtually zero downtime too.

Back