Anyone need a job??

Cuba Libre

Forwarded to me....

quote:For those who don’t know me, my name is Scott and I am a director with the Mainland Enhancement of Salmonid Species Society (M.E.S.S.S.) out in Echo Bay on Gilford Island.

This year we are collaborating with DFO to conduct fall salmon escapement counts on 10 streams in the area.

We are looking to fill 3 positions, a crew leader and 2 field assistants to walk and snorkel 10 streams, using boat and truck access, providing:
• Live counts of all salmon species
• Dead counts of all salmon species
• Scale samples for age classing
• Brushing for basic trail access

Please feel free to distribute this posting to all you know who may be qualified and interested.

I have attached the posting and if you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact me.

Many thanks and best regards,
Scott

Broughton Fall Salmon Escapement Project 2009

Positions Openings: 1 crew leader, 2 field technicians

Project Purpose:
Obtain fall counts of returning salmon to 10 streams in the Broughton area, on Gilford Island and the surrounding area.

Work Term: Last week of August – Nov. 27st,, 2009

Project Description: DFO and the Mainland Enhancement of Salmonid Species Society (M.E.S.S.S.) are collaborating to conduct fall salmon escapement counts on 10 streams in the area.

Three stream walkers, a crew leader and 2 field assistants, will walk and snorkel 10 streams using boat and truck access providing:
• Live counts of all salmon species
• Dead counts of all salmon species
• Scale samples for age classing
• Brushing for basic trail access

Training will be provided by DFO technicians and local M.E.S.S.S. directors. Data will be recorded using standard DFO data sheets. A basic report and summary of all creek data will be submitted to M.E.S.S.S.

Accomodations will be provided by M.E.S.S.S. if required but crew will supply their own food.

Organization: Mainland Enhancement of Salmonid Species Society (M.E.S.S.S.). A charitable, non-profit society that has organized restoration projects, stream monitoring, and hatchery enhancement of chums and coho in Scott Cove and the Viner River.

Location: Echo Bay, Gilford Island, BC, accommodations at Salmon Coast Field Station, www.salmoncoast.org

Position Openings:

Crew Leader – 1 position
Requirements:
• Strong salmon identification and count experience using both snorkel and walking techniques, preference is given to those with their own snorkel gear
• Demonstrated leadership experience managing a crew in field conditions
• Driver’s License and experience driving trucks(standard) on logging roads
• PCOC
• Marine Radio Operators License, or evidence of strong marine VHF radio skills
• Strong swimmer
• Strong boating skills - experience with handling, weather, beaching, and basic outboard engine trouble shooting
• Skilled at working independently and safely in remote forest settings
• Current first aid certifications
• Ability to work outdoors all day on the water in all weather
• Familiarity with GPS and map reading
• Assist with basic station chores such as cooking, cleaning, chopping firewood & gardening.
• Chainsaw skills an asset but not required

Wage: - FUNDING PENDING
$2,250/month during 3 month

Field Assistant Technicians – 2 positions
• Salmon identification and count experience using both snorkel and walking techniques an asset.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a group in field conditions and report writing
• Driver’s License, experience driving trucks(standard) on logging roads an asset.
• PCOC
• Marine Radio Operators License, or evidence of strong marine VHF radio skills as asset
• Strong swimmer
• Boating skills - experience with handling, weather, beaching, and basic outboard engine trouble shooting
• Skilled at working independently and safely in remote forest settings
• Current first aid certifications
• Ability to work outdoors all day on the water in all weather
• Familiarity with GPS and map reading
• Assist with basic station chores such as cooking, cleaning, chopping firewood & gardening.
• Chainsaw skills an asset but not required

Wage: - FUNDING PENDING
$1,800/month during 3 month

Application procedure:
Please provide us with a resume with references, and written statement explaining why you are interested in the position as well as a
some background about yourself. Please also indicate your age and when you are available.

For more information:

Salmon Coast Field Station - www.salmoncoast.org
Videos of previous related work - www. callingfromthecoast.com

Scott Rogers
Director – M.E.S.S.S.

Field Station Manager
info@salmoncoast.org

Salmon Coast Field Station
Simoom Sound, BC
V0P 1S0
www.salmoncoast.org

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Man, I would so be all over this, but I just registered for fall semester today.....and I would be so qualified......

I am going to forward this info to the CO-OP office at my school, and maybe someone there can do this.....

Catch and release -- into my frying pan.

The money is inconsequential.. Its the EXPERIENCE that the person will get that makes a job like this invaluable for later career choices.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Hey, I'm supporting a family of four on a student loan - 2250 a month is like rolling in luxury at this point - and oh yeah, the experience and stuff....:D

Catch and release -- into my frying pan.

Back