Anyone interested in "tryin for Halibut in Tofino"

E

erin

I just E-mailed a guy who has a charter outfit in Tofino, his prices seem reasonable for a charter, $120/hr for 6 people( for 6 hrs it would be 120$ per person).....I have two people...and I need 4 more no date set as of yet, and it is weather permitting obviously, it can get pretty snoty this time of year.Im thinking the sooner the better!I WANT SOME HALIBUT!!!!

What size of boat?
It has to be a biggun, at least 30 and more like 35 feet, for 6 guys to fish off the back for Halibut.
I'm interested but need more details.

I only tried one outfit so far...chinook charters..price seemed good, and he can charge the hourly rate and then split it between the 6 people, so thats cuts costs!He says his boat is well equipped!Not sure how big,but he says 6 people would fit.I have always wanted to try fishin Halibut, and its getting near the time where it will be to late soon.Any other outfit is fine too as long as the price can be split 6 ways.3-4 meter seas may pose a bit of a problem..however the weather may be ok not this weekend but next?Hopefully![8D]

Your right dogbreath but I'd still be interested even it was 4 people @ $180.
Nice boat!

I'm still interested too-how is Hali fishing in September generally?

Does anyone here have any experience at that time?

The banks are going to be 1 hour each way making a 6 hour trip a quick proposition, only been there out of Ukee I think it's a bit further out of Tofu, so tides would be critical.

Hali fishing on the Banks in September is largely a hit and miss show. Most years by this time (earlier actually) they have begun to slide off into the deep (as in far beyond our ability to reach them) where they spend the winter.

From what we saw out there this year, they are doing that later than "normal". Early September we had no problem tagging limits out on the Big bank. End of the first week, we trolled up 14 in a little better than an hour. As the month wore on, the numbers began to slide quite noticeably! I took clients out to the Shallow Spot last weekend. Trolled there for a tad better than 6 hours. Results: 5 hali's and a handfull of smallish springs. The coho had obviously moved off, as they were nowhere to be seen. So, as they were our secondary target, we went in search thereof. Off to 14 Mile - a few small and scattered schools, no hali's. Picked up a few, one or two hatch coho to the bag, then in to 10 Mile. Smaller schools, no springs, no hali's. A couple more to hand, and in to 7 Mile. A few larger schools, and fini the day on them. Then the run inshore. 2.5 miles off Beale, coho everywhere! Didn't drop gear (we were late and limited), but saw loads of jumpers. Marked the schools and travelled with them for a spell - moving at 4.5 knots towards the Sound, coming home...

That was my last trip out there for the season. In my opinion, the hali's have indeed begun their dissapearing act for the year, the returning springs and coho have chiefly departed the Banks for their natal rivers, leaving but feeder springs about in any real numbers.

That said, there have been some years when we've tagged hali's well into this month. Perhaps the operator you refer to knows one or two of the special places they will linger, and can get you into a few. Hope he does!!

Good luck, have FUN, and hope to be reading your successfull report shortly!!

Cheers,
nog

I can beat that price. $750. for the whole day (10 Hours) Nice weather right now too.

Forecast:
Winds variable 10 knots becoming southeast 15 to 20 near Juan de Fuca strait near noon. Winds becoming northwest 5 to 15 throughout early this evening then easterly 5 to 15 overnight. Mainly clear.
Morning fog patches. Seas one to 2 metres.
Outlook. Light to moderate northwest winds except light to moderate variable winds near the coast in the morning and overnight

Here's my boat type..
http://www.boattest.com/All-boats/AllBoatsThumbs/BostonWhaler/BostonWhaler-255Conquest-run.jpg

dual 225 hp merc 4 strokes.

I'll E-mail you, sounds good!My partner and I are a go, we have 2 friends that are a go, and I will e-mail a few guys off this forum that seem interested!I just have to get just one Halibut!!!! ( i hope i wouldn't have to shoot it though) but I wouldn't want it to suffer either, so I guess maybe its better to shoot it...but someone else will have to.:(

Back