Anyone else not sleep before they go fishing?

Rain City

Crew Member
I've gone fishing 4 times in the past week and a half and I'm still excited to go tomorrow. Start at T10? Fish North? Stack four or keep it simple? Bait! Did I leave some in the freezer?! Oh **** did I run out of fish bags? Screw it lots of garbage bags I'm good. 3 AM still up. Should I just go tie gear while I wait? No that's silly. Wonder if anyone posted anything on the forum? Maybe I'll catch a tyee today! Don't be silly Jon bloody relax. Sure doesn't feel like I NEED to sleep. o_O

Ya I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one . If I’m going fishing or hunting I don’t usually get much sleep the night before. I lay there going over everything in my head , did I get everything together, do I have enough leaders ,bait,spoons ,etc etc . Before I leave the house I check and recheck that I have everything. I’m always at least 30 minutes early if I’m picking up a buddy or jumping in with them to head to the boat ramp. One thing about it though. I sleep well the next night

Ya I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one . If I’m going fishing or hunting I don’t usually get much sleep the night before. I lay there going over everything in my head , did I get everything together, do I have enough leaders ,bait,spoons ,etc etc . Before I leave the house I check and recheck that I have everything. I’m always at least 30 minutes early if I’m picking up a buddy or jumping in with them to head to the boat ramp. One thing about it though. I sleep well the next night
If you’re only 30 minutes early to pick me up for fishing, you’re an hour and a half late!

Yessir,
Mine is different. I fall asleep a little later than usual, then I wake up at 01:00 or 02:00 and I am too excited to fall back asleep. The alarm has never woken me up to fish yet.
Exactly my routine. I sleep from 12-2 and that's it

Told my brother on Saturday I would be at his house at 5 am ( 5 - ( Cant sleep) = 4:15 )

I always have good intentions and try to to bed early (before 11) but I just lie there awake thinking about fishing until 1, 2 or 3 am.

I don't sleep before fishing when it reqires a 3 hr or more drive to the grounds I choose to fish .I take more time getting there and leave earlyer .drink more tea. check the forums and apps for forecasts.always take a new working pen before heading out the door of the truck once dawn breaks .

I've gone fishing 4 times in the past week and a half and I'm still excited to go tomorrow. Start at T10? Fish North? Stack four or keep it simple? Bait! Did I leave some in the freezer?! Oh **** did I run out of fish bags? Screw it lots of garbage bags I'm good. 3 AM still up. Should I just go tie gear while I wait? No that's silly. Wonder if anyone posted anything on the forum? Maybe I'll catch a tyee today! Don't be silly Jon bloody relax. Sure doesn't feel like I NEED to sleep. o_O
Man you need some serious counseling and professional help!:eek:;)

I work night shift and I usually go straight from work at 3 am and head straight to the boat launch. I've given up trying to sleep before a day on the water. My girlfriend says it's more than a passion it's an obsession.... I'm ok with that lol

The night before fishing, I would go over the weather report/forecast religiously and the areas that I would be fishing on my mobile navionic map. Before hitting the sack, I would put all the gears that I will be using at the door so I won’t forget them in the morning. I leave nothing to chances. On nights where I cannot fall asleep, I would think happy thoughts like when I hooked the big one and I would mysteriously fall asleep. Revisiting epic fishing adventures is my perfect sleeping pill.

Yah doesn’t take much for me to get wound up, a planned morning lake trout or walleye trip gets me sleepless. Going west to the coast well that’s pretty much a month ahead of sleepless nights and a good week after I get home still replaying it over and over in my head. Yes,,, I have a problem.

I think the day that I am not excited and tossing and turning waiting for the alarm to go off to get on the boat its time for a different hobby. We all spend way too much money on our boats, gear, etc., etc.,.......how can we not be excited to get out in them.

Back