Any truth to the Rumor...

I am sorry to say Islandgirl, that because this is a public forum, and the idea was publicly dicussed and mentioned on this forum, that it has indeed been "brought forward". Hopefully the decision makers missed it or do as they most often do - NOTHING AT ALL!

I don't believe that reducing the daily/possesion limits will do anything to "extend the season", because DFO at any moment during the season can say that the rec sector has attained their portion of the TAC and close the rec season, and there is,,, or rather will be nothing that we can do about it because we don't have any solid data to dispute how much they say we catch.

In fact reduced daily/possesion limits will do nothing to protect the biomass, as we will still try to fish to the limit of the rec TAC for the season. It will most likely reduce the number of hali clients that the guides will attain because I am sure that fewer clients will spend the extra for Hailbut excursions for less catch potential. It will however increase the openings for client bookings for the guides, but by how much? How much extra season would the DFO extend? (My guess, if they even entertained it at all, would be a month or so,,,,). I agree fully that the 2/2 or the 2/3 limits would definately do more for improving the guides businesses, drawing in more potential clients for them.

This is exactly what the DFO and the commercial sector have been hoping for and designing for several years now.
- Divide and Conquer.
- Keep reducing the rec season each year tightening the screws on us.
- Reduce the rec catch limits, each year increasing the pressure on the rec sector.
To eventually get some of us to cave in and suggest that it would be "alright" to take even futher reductions in daily/possesion limits in order to "extend" the duration of the season.

Once "we" have agreed to reduced limits, the next year the season will most likely be reduced in length again (and yes the previously accepted reduced limits will still remain in play), and the excuse that we will receive is that we "went over again on our TAC". And we will still have no way of disputing or arguing the point, because there are no real, concrete, and factual numbers to show how much Halibut we catch.

We must remain united, and not let short-sighted greed errode the whole process. We just got them to make an adjustment to the Recreational TAC, now we have to keep up the pressure, whether it is politcal or legal pressure or both. Precedent has now been set, the TAC can be adjusted, and still needs to be adjusted further to better represent the needs of the Rec sector.

My two bits.
FH

Good analysis and summary of the key issues FH. I agree with you on this. The idea is extending the season by lowering possession limits is a purely opportunistic move by some guides that will split the rec sector apart and help DFO in its divide and conquer plan to diminish sport fishing sector in the long term

I also agree with an annual limit, the only down side i see is the numbers of chickens that wil be dragged up and thrown back damaged
in search of a bigger one. :eek:
With a 1 & 2 limit now, how would that change in any way from what is presently happening?

You're right, it wouldn't much.
allthough with a 10 fish limit, anglers might be even pickier over what they choose to retain.

It may stop the guide from allowing his clients to fish his limit as well.
It may even help reduce the total rec catch and allow the season to be open longer : )

You're right, it wouldn't much.
allthough with a 10 fish limit, anglers might be even pickier over what they choose to retain.

Would do diddly really. Big catch in terms of pounds takes place up on North Island, Mid Coast and QCI. Way to get these larger fish out of our overall catch is to reduce one of the possession limit fish with a slot limit...or cut it back to one fish, one possession....but this is not the best option. Slot limit is easiest way to spread out the catch boys. A total limit like 10 fish would have limited impact - although I would fully support it. Who needs more than that!

Would do diddly really. Big catch in terms of pounds takes place up on North Island, Mid Coast and QCI. Way to get these larger fish out of our overall catch is to reduce one of the possession limit fish with a slot limit...or cut it back to one fish, one possession....but this is not the best option. Slot limit is easiest way to spread out the catch boys. A total limit like 10 fish would have limited impact - although I would fully support it. Who needs more than that!

In all due respect Searun,

It is only the guides/ outfitters that are concerned about spreading out the catch out.
DFO has given us 1/2 until our allocation is filled.
The rec fisherman that I have talked to are willing to work within what DFO has given us.
IF the season closes early.. rally the troops/ protest/ go to the media.. essentially do what we had done in the past 2 years to get our percentage of TAC moved up more.

We have accomplished alot working together in the past couple years.
We have had our TAC moved up from 12% to 15%
Which is in fact a 33% increase and something to be proud of.

It is only the guides/ outfitters that are concerned about spreading out the catch out.
The rec fisherman that I have talked to are willing to work within what DFO has given us.
IF the season closes early.. rally the troops/ protest/ go to the media.. essentially do what we had done in the past 2 years to get our percentage of TAC moved up more.

Exactly!!! My sentiments bang on! Well said.

If there is anything that we need to work on immediately for this season is to get DFO to issue Halibut tags for this season when we go in to get our new licenses THIS April. If they focus and put the pedal to the metal on this is it should be able to be accomplished, and then we can start collecting some real number around this fishery this YEAR! [No, this will not account for what is caught between March, 01/2012 and March, 31/2012. (One month out of six - assuming a season of March to End of August), it will still be better data than no data. Also as has been mentioned many times before the highest pressure on this fishery comes later in the season anyway.].
FH

Actually 25% but still a substantial increase

March 5, 2012
Ms. Susan Farlinger
Regional Director General
Fisheries and Oceans Canada – Pacific Region
The SFAB Executive Committee is pleased to endorse the recommendation of its Halibut Working Group that effective April 1 the Department of Fisheries and Oceans implement by condition of licence a “normal and under” possession policy in which recreational anglers for the remainder of the 2012 fishing will be allowed to retain one halibut a day, and two in total possession away from their place of residence, but with one of these fish being subject to a maximum size restriction of 83 cm. which translates to 15 lbs in round weight and 11.25 lbs in dressed weight.
The Executive Committee notes that this recommendation came forward following a series of electronic meetings with DFO staff in which productive dialogue was greatly assisted by an analysis of Draft Regulatory Tools for Recreational Halibut Management prepared by Pacific Region of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. This document provided the basis upon which the SFAB members of the working group reached the conclusion that the “normal and under” approach provided the best chance for a full season in which predictable opportunity was available to all participants in the fishery on a coast-wide basis, although at a reduced level.

FROM THE SFAB EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Last edited by a moderator:
As a, sport fisher, who has NEVER caught a halibut of any size, I want to make it perfectly clear that I do not support the slot limit idea. What ever size halibut I am fortunate enough to hook up with this year is coming into the boat. SFAB, you presume much to attempt to make deals that impact people like me.

Back