Any rod holder that work with this type of rod?

At the recommendation of some folk here, I'm looking to pick up a Shakespeare Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Jig Casting Rod. They look great for the price. 80-200lb line rating, 5'8, 8-14oz lure rating, X Heavy action, Fuji aluminum oxide guides, Alconite tip, 5 year warranty etc etc etc. For $70, this rod looks great on paper.

However, it has that little finger grip holder below the conventional reel seat (see pic). I'd like to get a rod holder to attach to the gunwale that's strong enough to handle a halibut strike, as well as sit snug keeping the conventional reel up (not flopping over and pointing downwards from the weight of the sinker).

Any ideas? Thanks all.

Tiger.jpg

i would as i have seen others do just cut that piece off then there is no need for a new rod holder

Don't buy the trigger rod....
go for this one.

Which series is this photo? Shakespeare has a zillion models. Are you referring this one?
http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/...ite|Shakespeare%20Ugly%20Stik%20Tiger&start=3

The link is the regular Tiger series, not Tiger lite, and has steel guides and the max line rating on these rods is 50# (too light). Dont think this is the right one? Which one are you referring to. Can you link to Shakespeare's website? Thanks!

Steel guides.jpg

I have one of these for sale that I bought of RSC. comes with a Shakespeare level wind as well. PM if interested.

Any reason you're selling the regular one? The Tiger lite jigging one looks far superior in specs (guides and rating) for the same price. And other OP, any reason you suggested getting the regular one over the trigger one? BTW - I called Scotty. Great customer service. CSR went to try a trigger rod on the Striker holder and said it would fit. He said there is a groove that the trigger will slide into. He didnt use the Tiger Lite stick but another rod, but said he is nearly convinced it will be fine. They called me back and everything. Great service. Now I just want to find out why the trigger rod is a no go? Cant see why it will be a problem?

You know Tom for someone who asks so many questions, you seem to have a treasure trove of information at hand. It puts me in mind of something John Prine said. A question ain't really a question if you know the answer too. Just sayin.;) eman

Any reason you're selling the regular one? The Tiger lite jigging one looks far superior in specs (guides and rating) for the same price. And other OP, any reason you suggested getting the regular one over the trigger one? BTW - I called Scotty. Great customer service. CSR went to try a trigger rod on the Striker holder and said it would fit. He said there is a groove that the trigger will slide into. He didnt use the Tiger Lite stick but another rod, but said he is nearly convinced it will be fine. They called me back and everything. Great service. Now I just want to find out why the trigger rod is a no go? Cant see why it will be a problem?

I don't use it. I jig only a few times a year and I have to many rods. $60 an its yours with the reel. Send me your email if you are interested and ill send you some pics

To answer the original question..... These ones

$(KGrHqV,!ocFG6FoCPw8BR)0(TUQU!~~60_35.JPG

Back