Any pinks north Island yet?

J

jonz

Anybody been catching any pinks yet Campbell River area? Saw the post of lots of em around Port Renfrew wonder if they are around here yet.

No pinks yet but I saw two old guys bring in a 22lb wild northern coho in to browns bay last week. They swore that it was a spring because coho don't get that big. I explained the differnce between a coho and a spring and they turned a little white.Anyways I don't remember ever seeing northerns this early in the season. There was also an american guy standing there watching them clean the fish and he also swore it was a spring because coho can't possibly be that big. I fear that with this much ignorance floating around that our wild coho are going to take a hit this summer.[V]

quote:Originally posted by paramedic

No pinks yet but I saw two old guys bring in a 22lb wild northern coho in to browns bay last week. They swore that it was a spring because coho don't get that big. I explained the differnce between a coho and a spring and they turned a little white.Anyways I don't remember ever seeing northerns this early in the season. There was also an american guy standing there watching them clean the fish and he also swore it was a spring because coho can't possibly be that big. I fear that with this much ignorance floating around that our wild coho are going to take a hit this summer.[V]

ANd with the stepped up DFO prensence in roadblocks that I have seen in my neck of the woods, lots of guys are going to be out some money too.

Any new reports on pinks around Campbell River? Saw a guy beach fishing yesterday and saw a couple salmon jump near the shore, they may have been pinks. Also does anybody know where the hotspots are for them around here? Thanks

Fish for them the same way you fish for sock-eye, slow troll lots of flash 30 inch leaders MP15 micro plankton. If you can only fish 2 rods put a dummy flasher off the ball. 40-75 ft deep.
P.S. fish the mouth of the Oyster River in Aug. You can troll a sinking fly line with any type of hot pink fly and put a silver colorado blade on a clevace then a red bead so it wont damage your knot to the fly. You will see the fish in about 40 ft of water and shallower. Super fun to get them on light gear. There is a boat launch near the mouth of the Oyster River at Saratoga Beach turn off.
Steve41:D

Back