any one use this unit

Good deal for that unit but that unit is not so great for how I use mine.

My current handheld is a GPS76.

It has 1MB of internal memory which let's me store 50 routes which I use for trolling patterns and narrow passes between islands. The Summit only gives you 20.

The 76 has proximity way points which I use to give me an alarm if my anchor gives way while I'm snoozing waiting for my crab traps or guest out on a hike. The summit doesn't support proximity alarms.

The 76 has a higher resolution screen but with lower battery life. I don't care about the battery life as I have it tied into the boat power on a cradle but the higher resolution screen is a major bonus for viewing graysacale on sunny days in an open boat.

The 76 also has a built in marine database of the major lights/markers (good feature) and tide/celestial/fishing info (mostly useless feature).

The 76 let's you hook in a remote antenna if you need one for your boat. If your front glass is not reasonably sloped and you have a top you might need a remote.

So, to answer your question not a good deal for me but depends what you are using it for. Go for a GPSMAP unit if you can squeeze it in the budget.

The garmin site has a really good unit comparison tool http://www.garmin.com/products/comparison.jsp

Regards,
Ian

it doesnt seem to be a mapping unit and has no extra memory, you may want to look at the basic etrex for that money, i bought a megellan sportrak map off ebay new for 70 us and a used streets and destinations cd for 15. just my 2 cents

Make sure if you are buying it for the ocean that it has the moving map.Also make sure that you can run at least the "map source" program.And even better if it is "Blue chip" compatible ive been running the 2010C Garmin for a few years and love it but its a little pricey,but they have smaller units that run the same programming for about half the money.If your not real familiar with GPS operations make sure you buy one with a moving map.

Sir, I also have a Garmin 76, but I can't get the tide function to open, and the map source is only for a couple of spots around vancouver, nothing in the ocean. Can you get tides on yours, and what map source does your unit have?

Otherwise, the unit works great.

Tides opens on mine fine but it seems to have a fairly limited tide reference set that it pulls from. It does not tell you where it is pulling it's tide data from it just displays the closest set of tides it has to where you are located. Wherever it pulls tide data from it's nowhere near close to actual tides for our area so it's pretty useless.

All the major lights are marked for my area but I'm not sure what data set it's using.... I don't think I ever looked at the manual... and I put it in a VERY safe place :)

Tides opens on mine fine but it seems to have a fairly limited tide reference set that it pulls from. It does not tell you where it is pulling it's tide data from it just displays the closest set of tides it has to where you are located. Wherever it pulls tide data from it's nowhere near close to actual tides for our area so it's pretty useless.

All the major lights are marked for my area but I'm not sure what data set it's using.... I don't think I ever looked at the manual... and I put it in a VERY safe place :)

I have a Garmin e-tex vista which looks very simular to this unit and seems to have the same features.. I use it for hunting and for a back up unit when out on the open water. I find it quite effective. I'm not sure if I would use it for the main unit but they work well enough to get you out of trouble or to guide you out in heavy fog.. The battery life on them is not near what is advertised you are lucky to get 8hrs of continuese use out of a set of batteries. For a few dollars more you can get into some decent GPS's that with out a doubt will do what you want...

I have a Garmin e-tex vista which looks very simular to this unit and seems to have the same features.. I use it for hunting and for a back up unit when out on the open water. I find it quite effective. I'm not sure if I would use it for the main unit but they work well enough to get you out of trouble or to guide you out in heavy fog.. The battery life on them is not near what is advertised you are lucky to get 8hrs of continuese use out of a set of batteries. For a few dollars more you can get into some decent GPS's that with out a doubt will do what you want...

Back